Glad You Could Make It 2013-06-18

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Fairportfan

Re: Glad You Could Make It 2013-06-18

Post by Fairportfan »

Julie wrote: Next step is to bring Monica in saying something about having been visited by the angry spirits of Kat & Atsali. :P (I seriously doubt this will happen, but it's fun to theorize about how M would act out her part as angry demi-god/sub-titan to throw another wrench into SDO's plans.)
In her full Jaguar Girl aspect.

The one that impressed Phix so much.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

eee wrote:On a different topic, Bud's "anytime soon" is an odd statement. Why not "ever again"? Clearly she's trying to make Brandi freeze in shock, and what she's saying is perhaps less important than that she's saying it; but maybe we're going to see Kath and Atsali in 'ghost' form soon to RALLY mess up the Nu Gul.
"Anytime soon" as a flippant way of saying "ever" is a not-uncommon turn of speech.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Dave

Post by Dave »

DilyV wrote:Yeah... this definitely isn't a 'tip the king' moment... this is meant to upend the chessboard and the table it's sitting on... I can only imagine Bud is thinking: "Checkmate.... B**ch!!!"
Yup. Or possibly "Fizzbin!" or "Not chess, Ms. Oduya... Dragon Poker."

(the latter being a Myth Adventures game, in which the basic rules of the game change constantly depending on the time, day of week, location, number and gender and species of the players, the number of doors in the room, and every other factor you can possibly imagine. Your winning hand might turn into a low-hand loser if a cat hiccoughs in the next room.)
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

Saying she wanted to have it wrapped up by the Summer Solstice makes me wonder if that has any significance. This year it will occur sometime between late PM on the 20th to early AM on the 21st (in the Northern hemisphere) depending on where you are. So it's soon. If it is significant, she may have to tip her hand on other areas of "the plan" in a panic move to salvage some of it.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
Dave

Post by Dave »

KnightDelight wrote:Saying she wanted to have it wrapped up by the Summer Solstice makes me wonder if that has any significance. This year it will occur sometime between late PM on the 20th to early AM on the 21st (in the Northern hemisphere) depending on where you are. So it's soon. If it is significant, she may have to tip her hand on other areas of "the plan" in a panic move to salvage some of it.
I was actually wondering if that might be a "breaking the fourth wall" statement from Pablo about the current plotline :twisted:
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Dave wrote:
DilyV wrote:Yeah... this definitely isn't a 'tip the king' moment... this is meant to upend the chessboard and the table it's sitting on... I can only imagine Bud is thinking: "Checkmate.... B**ch!!!"
Yup. Or possibly "Fizzbin!" or "Not chess, Ms. Oduya... Dragon Poker."

(the latter being a Myth Adventures game, in which the basic rules of the game change constantly depending on the time, day of week, location, number and gender and species of the players, the number of doors in the room, and every other factor you can possibly imagine. Your winning hand might turn into a low-hand loser if a cat hiccoughs in the next room.)
Calvinball!

Mornington Crescent!
=====================
=====================
mike weber
PartTimeRaccoon

Post by PartTimeRaccoon »

KnightDelight wrote:Ah! After reading the new responses (and re-reading the old) I see it probably is Bud poiting in to the same location as SDO & co. Slow on the uptake on this one. And, as someone conjectured, SDO may not know about modern Bud at all. thinking she is still locked up in a crystal. Another interesting possibility. Bud showing up as a mummy wannabe lends credence to that one. Either that, or it's just another confusion factor thrown in.

The thing I'm still hung up on is why SDO would kill Kath. As far as I can see Kath is her creation. Why kill her off? If she was just a tool to kill the crystal inhabitants, she didn't need a specially merged baby to do that. As I see it, Kath was her answer to Shelly (and Bia's plans). Not necessarily as an adversary, but as a better alternative to some impending showdown.

Anyway, It'll be satisfying to see that smug smile wiped off SDO's face for once.
I think your ideas about Kath being SDO's creation fit the facts (as we know them) pretty well. If we interpolate from those ideas, we might find that SDO has been guarding Kath her whole life. Maybe SDO sent the plane that saved Kath at the Dead Sea dig. Maybe she is even the one who diverted Bud to Mapimi to save Kath. Maybe she is the protective spider, as some have speculated. If so, her reaction to Kath's alleged death should be one of anger and confusion. I can't wait to see what it is.

EDIT: Maybe that should be "extrapolate" instead.
Last edited by PartTimeRaccoon on Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

My guess, to go along with what a lot of folks are saying here.

SDO is directly responsible for Katherine's existence. She destroyed the Anasasi civilization, but avoided violating her cause no harm pact with Brandi by putting them is storage. Katherine was a pawn created for the long game. Katherine served her purpose and with the Calender Machine dealt with and Shellinix and Jaguar Girl in the mix, SDO may feel Kath and the on ice Anasasi were no longer useful to her plans. So she arranged to take out the whole kit and kaboodle. Why keep Agent Pratt around? Well, she's useful, and SDO gets to torment the last remnant of the civilization she brought down.

Sort of like a cat playing with its food.

I bet SDO was the entity that put the idea of an army of Golems in the Anasasi's heads in the first place.

As to Bud's gambit. Show up acting like you've reverted to your program from 5k years ago, claim you acted on SDO's order and watch the fun.
Dragon Hostler

Post by Dragon Hostler »

The Mummy Returns!!!

Yeah, that's Bud pulling a fast one! I LOL herenat the bar.
Operation Upset (SDO) has commenced.
One more oblique golem reference; Mudd's Women. But it's an I Mudd script now!

Wonder what the vampires are gonna think of Bud's gore?
Wait, that's not human...
Wait., that's not really K&A...
One faint and one; "Finger lickin' good!"
Comic Relief in any case.

Kindle made this post time consumptive!
Born Again Heathen
Hostling dragons is similar to hostling horses, but ya need a bigger shovel, oh, and bigger nose plugs. Don't forget the nose plugs!
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

So which house are the ladies hanging out at? Looks to be they are in a Kiva rather than an above-ground room. Would make sense if SDO is planning on some manner of ceremony...
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

KnightDelight wrote:Ah! After reading the new responses (and re-reading the old) I see it probably is Bud poiting in to the same location as SDO & co. Slow on the uptake on this one. And, as someone conjectured, SDO may not know about modern Bud at all. thinking she is still locked up in a crystal. Another interesting possibility. Bud showing up as a mummy wannabe lends credence to that one. Either that, or it's just another confusion factor thrown in.

The thing I'm still hung up on is why SDO would kill Kath. As far as I can see Kath is her creation. Why kill her off? If she was just a tool to kill the crystal inhabitants, she didn't need a specially merged baby to do that. As I see it, Kath was her answer to Shelly (and Bia's plans). Not necessarily as an adversary, but as a better alternative to some impending showdown.

Anyway, It'll be satisfying to see that smug smile wiped off SDO's face for once.
i'm sure that SDO knows about Modern Bud... she knows quite a bit about everything that MIB does, as it's Sr. Director... and knowing that Bud is active in this time is definitely one of those things a Sr. Director will know about...i think that Bud showing up as a mummy is specifically designed to throw a swerve to SDO's thoughts, AND to jog LILY'S memory.... the last time she (probably) saw Bud, that's how Bud looked (when she was still designated as "Defense" for the Ethitians)... and Brandi/SDO was "Science Director Brandilyn" (very similar to Senior Director, hmmm...)... Lily will have an epiphany of remembering her original life of 5000 years ago, the night the world ended (as SDO told it anyway)... then there will be the "WTF!!! you were supposed to PROTECT US, NOT KILL US!!!" angst... AGAIN, throwing an anvil in the gearworks of SDO's plans... that's why SDO asked her what she knew already of the Mapimi Silent Zone... to determine what she would need to spin to tell the most convincing lies... i'll bet that Lily does NOT know that her entire tribe was even stored there at all! and that she thinks it's some other kind of facility (if even that) entirely!...

SDO wants to kill Katherine (and Lily for that matter) for the pure and simple reason that Kat (and Lily) are Ethitian... no more, no less... the nu gui that came from the death of that baby wants nothing less than the destruction of ALL those that are to blame and the lack of restraint because Kat wasn't even BORN YET, makes not one iota of a difference to SDO... BUT to BRANDI!! whoah... just wait till she finds out about SDO's plans... also, i'm pretty sure that BRANDI correctly programmed the stargate's sorting system to have everyone saved properly and in a NON-conscious state (well, ok maybe she messed up on the Quads part, but still...) i think that they would have been perfectly able to revive them even after 5k years... i think that after SDO turned off Bud at Mapimi, she went and reset the computer crystals to have all the occupants be conscious in order to mentally torture them before she got Kat to finish them off 5k years later (i still say that SDO's orders to have Lily and gang accompany Kat (alone) to the Mapimi Silent Zone and either die... or since they are Vampires, they would have survived somehow and have their story as corroborating evidence that KAT screwed up and activated the self-destruct but died in the process (though since Atsali did it instead of Kat, that's the first bit of a kink in the plan that SDO doesn't even know about yet)... THAT'S why Kat was pulled out of her individual crystal way back when, and placed into that stasis chamber? artificial womb? thing that was in the chamber that the test missile crash hit... which, i for one, don't think it was a "crash": though I'm waffling between it being SDO trying to kill off the whole complex at once, but the missile was a dud!, OR that she determined that the "stars were right" for Kat to be released in order that her plans could continue, so she PROGRAMMED that missile to do PRECISELY what it DID do, she just didn't TELL anyone about it and let them think it was an accident... when and why LILY and the 5 other women were released out into that sandstorm a thousand years after they got stored... no clue... maybe they were the test cases where Bud /Brandi /Jin? tried to "un-blend" them upon revivification, or they were trying on them before they went to Katherine's crystal, but it wasn't successful so they stopped after only 6 of them... and SDO wanted to get rid of the evidence, so she poited them there. again, to die in the sandstorm... but she might not have anticipated one of them dying and coming back as a vampire...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
as363

Post by as363 »

Looks like I was a day early - when I posted this

And the Shark has
Pearly teeth dear
And he(She) shows them
Pearly White...

And if you look at the teeth in the last panel -Mako Shark or Great White..
dex drako

Post by dex drako »

Julie wrote:Next step is to bring Monica in saying something about having been visited by the angry spirits of Kat & Atsali. :P (I seriously doubt this will happen, but it's fun to theorize about how M would act out her part as angry demi-god/sub-titan to throw another wrench into SDO's plans.)

my guess would be more monica going all out of body experiences again and going in after the nu gui
Grantwhy

Post by Grantwhy »

Dave wrote: The more ways in which Bud can throw Oduya's plans out of whack, and hit her with sudden stresses (which we believe she's not good at handling), the better the odds of upsetting the whole apple cart and disrupting the Nü Gui's control (of Brandi and of the whole situation).

That's the thing about really complex rule-driven systems, like chess and engineering. You can build a very subtle, interconnected plan, and think out and plan and compute all sorts of possible decision paths and moves (as the Chessmaster clearly can do). However, if somebody gives the system a hearty shove from "outside of the box" (outside the system of rules and expectations) the whole system can crumble, and you may not have time to "redesign your game" to deal with a stress or event that your plans hadn't taken into account.
Ah - like the "Checkmate in three moves" gambit from one the more recent Dr.Who episodes, yes?
As a CareBearAnarchist I believe in the destruction and overthrow of the perils of society through random and senseless acts of consideration and kindness
Growing older is compulsory, growing up is optional
Dumb things happen to smart phones