A Nü Gui Deal 2013-06-14

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Fairportfan

A Nü Gui Deal 2013-06-14

Post by Fairportfan »

Okay.

Bud Knows Something

And we don't
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
themadkansan

Re: A Nü Gui Deal 2013-06-14

Post by themadkansan »

Okay, are we straight on our posting now? :)
Sphinx-Napped

Post by Sphinx-Napped »

anyone have any idea what a nu gui is i never heard of it

bud saying that brandi made deal with the dead baby ??
so paul you set us up for big surpise in how to fix brandi, but now we are learning that it wasn't demons that she supposedly made a deal with.. i cant wait to see what it is

and thank you for the llink that explain what it is that kinda makes sense, but i dont understand what the deal was kill everyone that forced you to kill me?
Last edited by Sphinx-Napped on Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:48 am, edited 3 times in total.
Punjar repair man, that recently up graded the pun jar to 2.0 now with self defense and and evil ai that will try to kill you, if you even try to hurt it for doing its job...
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Yup. A quick 'net search confirms it: This is not a good deal. :?

themadkansan wrote:Okay, are we straight on our posting now? :)
Heh, yeah. That was pretty funny. :lol:
Last edited by MerchManDan on Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
bdgoodfriend

Post by bdgoodfriend »

I thought the Nu Gui was Windows 8?

(puts crystal tablet in pun jar) :mrgreen:
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

bdgoodfriend wrote:I thought the Nu Gui was Windows 8?

(puts crystal tablet in pun jar) :mrgreen:
The Nü Gui is much prettier and not nearly as malicious.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Based on the bottom panel, Katharine is thinking "A Nü Gui? Oh, shit!"

And Atsali is thinking " A Nü Gui? A what?"
=====================
=====================
mike weber
themadkansan

Post by themadkansan »

MerchManDan wrote:Yup. A quick 'net search confirms it: This is not a good deal. :?

themadkansan wrote:Okay, are we straight on our posting now? :)
Heh, yeah. That was pretty funny. :lol:

gragh. Googlebroke. is there a specific link to it? (sry, but I refuse to let any Googlescript run on my machine - tired of cleaning up the aftermath)
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

A little different from Wikipedia's definition but close enough.
bdgoodfriend wrote:I thought the Nu Gui was Windows 8?
That would be a particularly evil entity to make a deal with.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Stigmartyr762

Post by Stigmartyr762 »

Sphinx-Napped wrote:anyone have any idea what a nu gui is i never heard of it

bud saying that brandi made deal with the dead baby if so??

there no mention of what a nu gui s i know i read the archive while waiting for the new page

so paul you set us up for big surpise in how to fix brandi, but now we are learning that it wasn't demons that she supposedly made a deal with.. i cant wait to see what it is

Nü gui (Chinese: 女鬼; pinyin: nǚ guǐ; literally "female ghost") is a vengeful female ghost with long hair in a white dress. In folklore, this ghost is the spirit of a woman who committed suicide while wearing a red dress. Usually, she met with some injustice when she was alive, such as being wronged or sexually abused. She returns to take her revenge. A tabloid story tells of a funeral ceremony where family members of a murder victim dress her in red, hoping that her spirit will return to take revenge on her murderer. In traditional folklore, the colour red symbolises anger and vengeance in the context of ghosts. On the other hand, some ancient folk tales tell of beautiful female ghosts who seduce men and suck their yang essence or sometimes kill them. This type of female ghost is likened to the Succubus. Paradoxically, the male counterpart of a nü gui, a nan gui (Chinese: 男鬼; pinyin: nán guǐ; literally "male ghost"), is rarely depicted.

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

In short, a Vengeful Ghost.

Then again, what would a vengeful ghost of a baby want? Cuddles and milk? While watching you burn??

Something is off -- way off. I don't think this is gaslighting or a retcon. I think Bud is on her way to realizing Brandi was duped by some force that the demons aren't (yet) aware of. Perhaps a disgruntled competitor to the Chimera creation team?

Place your bets...
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Sphinx-Napped

Post by Sphinx-Napped »

Stigmartyr762 wrote:
Sphinx-Napped wrote:anyone have any idea what a nu gui is i never heard of it

bud saying that brandi made deal with the dead baby if so??

there no mention of what a nu gui s i know i read the archive while waiting for the new page

Nü gui (Chinese: 女鬼; pinyin: nǚ guǐ; literally "female ghost") is a vengeful female ghost with long hair in a white dress. In folklore, this ghost is the spirit of a woman who committed suicide while wearing a red dress. Usually, she met with some injustice when she was alive, such as being wronged or sexually abused. She returns to take her revenge. A tabloid story tells of a funeral ceremony where family members of a murder victim dress her in red, hoping that her spirit will return to take revenge on her murderer. In traditional folklore, the colour red symbolises anger and vengeance in the context of ghosts. On the other hand, some ancient folk tales tell of beautiful female ghosts who seduce men and suck their yang essence or sometimes kill them. This type of female ghost is likened to the Succubus. Paradoxically, the male counterpart of a nü gui, a nan gui (Chinese: 男鬼; pinyin: nán guǐ; literally "male ghost"), is rarely depicted.

thanks
but still wondering what was the deal that she thought she made with demons
Punjar repair man, that recently up graded the pun jar to 2.0 now with self defense and and evil ai that will try to kill you, if you even try to hurt it for doing its job...
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

Even Confucius said, "Respect ghosts and gods, but keep away from them."

Not a demon, a ghost of a newly dead child. This is where the Jaguar Girl comes in, me thinks, to get Brandi's mind back together, or, more accurately, shut down its time share aspect.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Boxilar wrote:Even Confucius said, "Respect ghosts and gods, but keep away from them."

Not a demon, a ghost of a newly dead child. This is where the Jaguar Girl comes in, me thinks, to get Brandi's mind back together, or, more accurately, shut down its time share aspect.
I would think that it is likely that the spirit lied to Brandi and it was not the baby but an adult Succubus (which is one of the definitions of a Nü Gui).
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
pcj70

Post by pcj70 »

But isn't Katherine the baby(s)? Then who is the nu gui and/or Katherine? Are not nu gui are vengeful female Chinese ghosts..... or is it a Succubus? Please make room for me in confusion corner.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

pcj70 wrote:But isn't Katherine the baby(s)?
No. Bud is talking about when Brandi swung a pole at the cowardly Lanthian priest who picked up a baby and used it as a shield. The pole hit the baby and killed it.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

"...like a silk bag filled with glass tubes..."
=====================
=====================
mike weber
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Boxilar wrote:Even Confucius said, "Respect ghosts and gods, but keep away from them."

Why are we assuming the Nu Gui is what Brandi actually made a deal with?

Brandi did not kill the baby, it died during Brandi's efforts to protect the creche when the Lantans came after her! So it was an accident, not of deliberate purpose. If anyone is to blame it is the Lantan priests, not Brandi. I suspect the deal is not between the Nu Gui and Brandi but Brandi swearing vengeance on the Lantans for causing her to kill the baby. That was the split point for Brandi's personality. So the SDO Brandi is the Nu Gui and is carrying out her vengeance. She became the murdered baby and the ghost to avenge it.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

Stigmartyr762 wrote:Nü gui (Chinese: 女鬼; pinyin: nǚ guǐ; literally "female ghost") is a vengeful female ghost with long hair in a white dress. In folklore, this ghost is the spirit of a woman who committed suicide while wearing a red dress. Usually, she met with some injustice when she was alive, such as being wronged or sexually abused. She returns to take her revenge. A tabloid story tells of a funeral ceremony where family members of a murder victim dress her in red, hoping that her spirit will return to take revenge on her murderer. In traditional folklore, the colour red symbolises anger and vengeance in the context of ghosts. On the other hand, some ancient folk tales tell of beautiful female ghosts who seduce men and suck their yang essence or sometimes kill them. This type of female ghost is likened to the Succubus. Paradoxically, the male counterpart of a nü gui, a nan gui (Chinese: 男鬼; pinyin: nán guǐ; literally "male ghost"), is rarely depicted.
The problem I have with this is that Bud is European and Brandi is African. Isn’t there an equivalent in either of those 2 cultures?
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

zachariah wrote:Why are we assuming the Nu Gui is what Brandi actually made a deal with?
...because Bud just told us that. :|
My2Cents wrote:
Stigmartyr762 wrote:Nü gui (Chinese: 女鬼; pinyin: nǚ guǐ; literally "female ghost") is a vengeful female ghost with long hair in a white dress.
The problem I have with this is that Bud is European and Brandi is African. Isn’t there an equivalent in either of those 2 cultures?
There probably is. It's a bit curious that Bud would choose the Chinese term, though.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)