Stay Calm 2013-06-12

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
DilyV

Re: Stay Calm 2013-06-12

Post by DilyV »

TheSkulker wrote:
nerf-dweller wrote:"That's right. Stay calm. "Let's see...lets start with that mountain over there..."
Calmness is relative. It's only a mountain or two, not a whole continent!
Hopefully it's the one with the Generals and SDO on it...
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Looks like somebody's calm is damaged.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

zachariah wrote:
yuffiek wrote:For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Screaming out a plasma blast that would make Strohl Munitions gunsmiths green with envy is bound to have some recoil.
There is. Look at here feet digging up furrows and she braces against the thrust. I wonder if NASA could hire her to boost cargo into space? She appears to have an excellent mass to energy ratio.

Either that or her last Taco had extra hot sauce on it!
Well, the Acacia Budur Plasma Drive might be good for interstellar travel, but if you're launching things from Earth, Bud could just throw it into orbit... around the sun... like this: http://wapsisquare.com/comic/sonic-boom/
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
TOMIB

Post by TOMIB »

Boxilar wrote:One of two things. Either this is an understandable reaction to having been blown up, or...

Bud is reacting to the senseless deaths of two innocent people, one of who was a friend.

I really hope it's the first one.
After a long run of lurking, I have officially registered in order to posit a third theory. What if Bud acted as an energy sump, keeping the explosion from harming either of her companions, and today she's dumping built up heat/energy?

I'm probably wrong, but that's the way it struck me. :mrgreen:
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

DilyV wrote:
TheSkulker wrote:
nerf-dweller wrote:"That's right. Stay calm. "Let's see...lets start with that mountain over there..."
Calmness is relative. It's only a mountain or two, not a whole continent!
Hopefully it's the one with the Generals and SDO on it...
actually that would be BAD!!! if those two generals DON'T make it back to HQ and read those emails that SDO sent them detailing the cover-up, then there will be a huge panic as far as an unexplained nuclear detonation that happened, and two generals now missing... that will lead not only to rising tensions between the US and Mexico, just because it happened there, but also the rest of the nuclear armed countries as well because nobody wants to admit that they don't know who "really" did it, but they have to blame somebody... and who better to blame than the USA?
Stigmartyr762 wrote:What worries me is that Brandi/CDO may have fore seen this and prepared accordingly.
i'm not so sure... i think this is the beginnings-of-the-end for the "deal" that Brandi cooked up with the Demon realm way back when... this is just the first of SDO's plans going kaput... again, i think that the time loops were also helping her stay on top of things as she went along, now that there are no loops and all this is "new" to her (AND the probable demon masquerading as SDO) she is losing her Chess Master-like ability to plan ahead as she doesn't know "exactly" what's going to happen any more, even though she has a good "idea" what they would do... as they say "the devil is in the DETAILS" and those details are catching up to her. remember the whole "somebody found a Vimana Cell AND DIDN'T TELL ME"... that implies that SDO ISN'T all-knowing... therefore someone CAN plan around her, but it is extremely difficult to enact... i think that the Library is the only one at this point capable of doing it, and, that we are arriving at the point in time that those plans are coming to fruition.
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
illiad

Post by illiad »

DilyV wrote:
zachariah wrote:
yuffiek wrote:For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Screaming out a plasma blast that would make Strohl Munitions gunsmiths green with envy is bound to have some recoil.
There is. Look at here feet digging up furrows and she braces against the thrust. I wonder if NASA could hire her to boost cargo into space? She appears to have an excellent mass to energy ratio.

Well, the Acacia Budur Plasma Drive might be good for interstellar travel, but if you're launching things from Earth, Bud could just throw it into orbit... around the sun... like this: http://wapsisquare.com/comic/sonic-boom/
Hmmm, the g-force would turn the pilots to mush, though.... :roll:
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

1. Bud is mad her ability to poit was compromised and she was unable to save Kathy or Sali, or placed them in great danger.
2. She knows she was sent on this mission by BRandi.
3. She knows the crystals hold the lost race and to her best knowledge the race has now been destroyed. Loosing an entire race of people you thought were safe is enough to tick anyone off. Sali released them before Bud arrived.
4. In the original effort to safe the race she was security to insure they were protected and not harmed. No indication that this part of her task was ever finished. While the transfer completed there would need to be ongoing security to0 protect the storage until revival. So Bud's main task has failed and she doesn't like to loos.
5. Barbie Bud is in tune with the way Paul draws the strip. Only if the nudity fits the scene and is totally natural will he do it, like Shelly in the forest. A case could be made that this scene with Bud is totally natural as a result of what occurred. Rather than act he left the details up to our imagination. Not a good Move as we seem to have very vivid imaginations on the forum.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Aleister Crow

Post by Aleister Crow »

Maybe the anatomical issues can be explained by Bud being so angry she's begun slipping into her Goat form?

Nice pause to crack her knuckles before cutting loose. I like that.
Whoever coined the phrase "more fun than a barrel of monkeys" obviously never spent an afternoon cramming the little buggers into one.
eee

Post by eee »

RE Bud's anatomy. She walked down a beach naked one time and attracted attention because she DID have everything. And I'm not sure how much of an eyeful Kevin got that time Monica accidentally poited Bud and Kevin away together, but he didn't scream "MUTANT!".
DilyV wrote:
zachariah wrote:

That brings up an interesting question. I doubt Bud and Brandi can hurt each other physically. But if Bud grabs Brandi and hurls her into space, could Brandi get back? She's got her facelight, but could she make it glow enough to provide propulsion power? I don't think she has any other energy expulsion ability...
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

TOMIB wrote:After a long run of lurking, I have officially registered in order to posit a third theory. What if Bud acted as an energy sump, keeping the explosion from harming either of her companions, and today she's dumping built up heat/energy?

Excellent thought! Given that Bud can breathe plasma, she can probably inhale it as well -- perhaps enough to give a pair of adventurers time to close the escape hatch maybe? Oh -- and welcome to the Commenters Club! Cookies over in the Confusion Corner lounge.

As for "Barbie Bud," she's been consistently slender through the series with modest breasts (compared to Brandi, much less Monica), and the Uni-boob is a non-issue for various tops because there's no cleavage extending that high. If I had the time for an archive crawl, I'd point out the Bud and Brandi on the beach scenes at Lake Calhoun.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Dave

Post by Dave »

illiad wrote:yup. there is "anatomically correct" and "comic code" correct.... :( :( :( dont want paul to lose his licence..... :)
Having Wapsi end up on one of those commercial "safe browsing assured" filter services as an "adult" webcomic would probably cost Paul some readers, by making the strip inaccessible from some libraries, schools, and workplaces. Might reduce web-ad revenue, too. Not really in anyone's interest to have that occur. I think I recall Jabberwonky saying that he was unable to view "Questionable Content" at work due to such a filter, most likely set based on the strip's name (its actual content is about as anatomy-revealing as Blondie or Peanuts and the dialog rarely gets past PG-13). The blue noses are everywhere, it seems.

The only envelope-pushing one I can recall recently was the day Monica "lost face" in front of Phix, and Paul was very careful to include a warning. That particular "NSFW and disturbing" disclaimer was a primo deluxe model... I think I recognized it as original hand-carved heirloom from the late 1700s, and it's probably been in his family for generations. We really can't expect him to drag it out and put it on display every few days... sunlight might damage the fine finish. ;)
Julie

Post by Julie »

Bud definitely needs a hug...I'll just wait until she's a little less deadly to offer it to her. :P
Atomic wrote:As for "Barbie Bud," she's been consistently slender through the series with modest breasts (compared to Brandi, much less Monica), and the Uni-boob is a non-issue for various tops because there's no cleavage extending that high. If I had the time for an archive crawl, I'd point out the Bud and Brandi on the beach scenes at Lake Calhoun.
I think that the Barbie reference has to do with the lack of anatomically correct detail...not the shape of her figure. :) Bud has never been Barbie-shaped (thank god).
Dave wrote:The only envelope-pushing one I can recall recently was the day Monica "lost face" in front of Phix, and Paul was very careful to include a warning.

If I'm not mistaken, Shellynx was anatomically correct in an envelope-pushing way. :) M getting defaced by Phix was just graphic in the gore kind of way. Nudity is often more of a website-filter issue than gore.
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Sphinx-Napped

Post by Sphinx-Napped »

Welp.. there goes whats left of the neighborhood....and whatever else there was left, if i was a Realtor i be out business with all these calamities..

let see underground/above nuke explosions, volcanoes, and oh yes.... one ticked off in the buff bud.../throws up all landownership rights papers... maybe i should just rename my business series of unfortunate homes??
Last edited by Sphinx-Napped on Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Punjar repair man, that recently up graded the pun jar to 2.0 now with self defense and and evil ai that will try to kill you, if you even try to hurt it for doing its job...
Grantwhy

Post by Grantwhy »

hmmm ...... second panel, lower back.

Is that a little stub tail? :?:

If it was a little rounder it would be smurfy :D

As the the plasma breath - a new theory just to complicate things more :mrgreen:.

Looking at yesterday's page, where Bud landed should not be near a large rock/hill/mountain (that ground seems to be a claypan).

Bud appears to be 'venting' onto/into something - probably a large rock/hill/mountain so she has moved over to it, but for what reason.

I'm wondering if this 'venting' is out of rage or is for another reason.

If Bud could not 'store' Katherine and Atsali, could those two have 'escaped' to a very, very, very far part of the underground facility - far enough to be outside the blast/destruction area - perhaps even a different facility that was joined by something like a bullet train?

If that theory is right, then Bud might be trying to burn an entrance/exit for Katerine and Atsali to get out.

maybe ... or maybe not :-p
As a CareBearAnarchist I believe in the destruction and overthrow of the perils of society through random and senseless acts of consideration and kindness
Growing older is compulsory, growing up is optional
Dumb things happen to smart phones
RunningBull

Post by RunningBull »

Grantwhy wrote:.
If Bud could not 'store' Katherine and Atsali, could those two have 'escaped' to a very, very, very far part of the underground facility - far enough to be outside the blast/destruction area - perhaps even a different facility that was joined by something like a bullet train?

If that theory is right, then Bud might be trying to burn an entrance/exit for Katerine and Atsali to get out.

Interesting theory, The only thing is, Bud was standing next to Kat and Atsali when the explosion happened. If they somehow ended up in a secluded area, I would think that Bud would be with them helping them break out from the inside. To me it looks like Bud was thrown out by the explosion, which would mean Kat and Atsali would most certainly be dead. :(

However things are never quite what they seem in the Wapsiverse!
"You're not going crazy! You're going sane in a crazy world!"
- The Tick
Grantwhy

Post by Grantwhy »

I don't know if this is me defending a wild theory or my inner cynic finding weird/odd ways of all three surviving.
RunningBull wrote:
Grantwhy wrote:.

Interesting theory, The only thing is, Bud was standing next to Kat and Atsali when the explosion happened.
if the explosion happened right at that very moment, yes. If there was a 30 second delay? 60 seconds? or even a whole minute? or longer?

RunningBull wrote:If they somehow ended up in a secluded area, I would think that Bud would be with them helping them break out from the inside.
Maybe the inside has protection/dampeners against a Golem Girl's powers? Who knows, maybe Bud can't use her plasma inside.

hmmm ..... this is not a weird/odd theory ..... it's just plain convoluted and very unlikely :shock: .

Personally I blame Sherlock Holmes :P.
when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth
unfortunately, I tend to skip the 'eliminate the impossible" part along with the more obvious solutions at well. :roll:

especially at 1.45 in the morning and I'm sleep depraved (I've been running on 50% my usual sleep for the past few weeks :| )
As a CareBearAnarchist I believe in the destruction and overthrow of the perils of society through random and senseless acts of consideration and kindness
Growing older is compulsory, growing up is optional
Dumb things happen to smart phones
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

zachariah wrote:2. She knows she was sent on this mission by BRandi.
By the Library, actually, unless Bud happens to be on a different page somehow. Sweet Brandi told Kath and Atsali that the Library sent Bud to Yxchilan and Jin to Puerta de Hayu Marca. I see no reason why they should be told that story, while Bud should have been fed a different line; while Bud doesn't explicitly mention the Library, her Yachilan/Mesa Verde story jives well with what Brandi told our adventurers.

Yeah, Bud's got reasons to be mad. And the complex could implicate Brandi. I don't see Bud jumping to conclusions that Brandi set this up, though. It is not as if she's under the mistaken assumption that Brandi controls everything: After all, Bud has not just witnessed plans of Brandi blowing up, she knows they were through the time loop some fifty-odd times, failing to fix the calendar machine. Things happen that Brandi hasn't planned for, and Bud knows that. So unless Bud knows something I don't know she knows, she doesn't know Brandi even knew.
eee wrote:I doubt Bud and Brandi can hurt each other physically. But if Bud grabs Brandi and hurls her into space, could Brandi get back? She's got her facelight, but could she make it glow enough to provide propulsion power? I don't think she has any other energy expulsion ability...
Sideskipping the question of who would end up hurling whom: What, didn't Bud today demonstrate the GG's primary propulsion power? 8-)

(Well, Bud and Jin have demonstrated fire breath. I don't recall if Brandi has. But I suspect she does.)
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

TOMIB wrote:
Boxilar wrote:One of two things. Either this is an understandable reaction to having been blown up, or...

Bud is reacting to the senseless deaths of two innocent people, one of who was a friend.

I really hope it's the first one.
After a long run of lurking, I have officially registered in order to posit a third theory. What if Bud acted as an energy sump, keeping the explosion from harming either of her companions, and today she's dumping built up heat/energy?

Except we have no evidence that she has that power. Nearly invulnerable, check. Breathes plasma, check. (the coffee cup incident) Since Bud seems to be capable of developing a plasma stream at will and is invulnerable (for all intents and storytelling purposes) she would not need to be capable of storing and releasing energy from the environment. This would be another Deus Ex Machina that Pablo just doesn't need. She has the belly hatch and has access to hammerspace via the belly hatch meaning the only reason she couldn't rescue Kath and Sally was not enough time.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

"How would Trogdor express his feelings in a situation like this? Oh, I know!...."

*BURNINATING THE COUNTRYSIDE!*
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

To me it simply looks like she blasted a nearby rock that was out of frame before. That or she nailed a rock that was falling from the explosion a moment before it hit the ground. Nice touch showing the recoil from the exhalation in the form of piled up dirt at her feet. BTW, I figure that's how she could get back to earth from space. Assuming it doesn't require air to initiate the burst. OTOH, Fairportfan may have been on the right track in her using an on-board supply of methane fuel from the other output port. :mrgreen:
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap