Yaxchilan Detour 2013-06-05

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Sphinx-Napped

Re: Yaxchilan Detour 2013-06-05

Post by Sphinx-Napped »

MerchManDan wrote:I have a hunch that when our heroines finally arrive at Mesa Verde, SD Oduya will be most interested in the new contents of Atsali's head - and she may have some way of retrieving it. :?
txmystic wrote:
davids4250 wrote:Bud can POIT. That was a BVVVVVVVVVorp! Totally different modes of transport.
Yes. Is this the transport that Brandi initiated while the volcanoes were erupting?
I doubt it, since Brandi - rather, Ms. Oduya - placed Bud in cold storage just before the volcanoes began to erupt, over 6,000 years ago. Also, that was a *thip*, which is something else again. ;)

Dont say that its combing with her own brain, we cant have SDO taking birdbrainiac away from katherine, some how i dont think she will go with SDO
Punjar repair man, that recently up graded the pun jar to 2.0 now with self defense and and evil ai that will try to kill you, if you even try to hurt it for doing its job...
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

It's not Senora Director that's got a vested interest in the bird brain, it's the Biblioteca that has the overriding authority in this matter. Kind of like Golden Age Brainiac without the shrinking cities and blowing up planets thing. Just making sure it's collected knowledge is as complete as possible.
RunningBull

Post by RunningBull »

Julie wrote: Seems to me like SDO wanted to keep the golem/chimera recipes out of circulation so that other people couldn't get the same bright ideas that the Lanthians/Etheitians did...and now The Library has set events in motion that will result in that information being unprotected. :shock:
I agree, the chimera recipe is definitely something you don't want in circulation. To me it looks like the library interrupted Bud's "poit" after it saw the meltdown at the crystal library with Kat and Atsali still there.
"You're not going crazy! You're going sane in a crazy world!"
- The Tick
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

RunningBull wrote:
Julie wrote: Seems to me like SDO wanted to keep the golem/chimera recipes out of circulation so that other people couldn't get the same bright ideas that the Lanthians/Etheitians did...and now The Library has set events in motion that will result in that information being unprotected. :shock:
I agree, the chimera recipe is definitely something you don't want in circulation. To me it looks like the library interrupted Bud's "poit" after it saw the meltdown at the crystal library with Kat and Atsali still there.
It would also make sense then that the Library is not trying to get the Golem/Chimera recipe, but by allowing the repository to be destroyed, she is making sure that the information is lost forever. As to why she would send Bud and not just poit the girls away, I do not know.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

I suspect the Library has no access to the Silent Zone.

I also suspect what is happening here, is not the direct hand of the Library. Tsillah may well be handling communications still.
My2Cents wrote:1. Where is Atsali now, since she appears to have been replaced by Bud. Did she take over and reconfigure Atsali's body, or swap places?
I don't think Atsali was replaced by Bud. The hexagonally rendered figure's head shape (particularly jaw line) and back length hair leads me to think it's Bud, not Atsali.

But the background is continuous, so this is not, as I first thought, Bud disappearing hexagonally from Yaxchilan, only to reappear in the, er, clay in Mapimi. All the bottom row is at Mapimi: Bud is first crudely, hexagonally rendered, then in a "Vorp!" that rendering disappears, and a fully rendered Bud appears.

It might even have been Atsali who did it. Computer stuff. Atsali, the Akashic Hacker Siren? 8-)
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
Dave

Post by Dave »

Mark N wrote:
RunningBull wrote:
It would also make sense then that the Library is not trying to get the Golem/Chimera recipe, but by allowing the repository to be destroyed, she is making sure that the information is lost forever. As to why she would send Bud and not just poit the girls away, I do not know.
The Library may want to have the information and recipe, without necessarily wanting to make the information available to anyone else. I believe we've already seen indications that the Library has the equivalent of "restricted shelves", and that it controls access to its stored information based on its analysis of the motives of the people who come in search.

Similarly, it's largely in control of portal access to/from Earth, now that the Vimana Shield is blocking most interdimensional travel, and it seems to limit cross-world travel to those with sufficiently benign motivations.

So, it may be trying to get the Golem/Chimera recipes "out of insecure storage on Earth, and into secure storage in the 'really mature' sections of the shelves" where this dangerous information would be less likely to end up in the hands of those who would (once again) use it to create weapons. It may have reasons of its own for not wanting to have the recipes lost forever.

There's plenty of historical and literary precedent for this sort of "collect and bury dangerous information", including the (semi-mythical?) 200-mile-per-gallon carburetor, concealment of the Ark of the Covenant, and various roadside attractions.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

illiad wrote:... 'neurons' is an oversimplification..there are chemical, and other more complex things going on.. If it was that simple, we would be able to record it by now... :D :D
Yeah.

And storage in the brain appears to be holographic in nature ... rather like it prolly is in those crystals.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

How many secret herbs and spices are used in a Golem recipe?
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

kingklash wrote:How many secret herbs and spices are used in a Golem recipe?
27 if you consider peppercorn a separate spice from black pepper. :mrgreen:
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
GuySmiley

Post by GuySmiley »

I think the only thing I/we know for certain with today's comic is..........

it's a really good thing it's not Friday. :?
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf mutes."
-The Laughing Man; GITS:SAC (originally from Holden Caulfield; Catcher in the Rye)
Dave

Post by Dave »

kingklash wrote:How many secret herbs and spices are used in a Golem recipe?
Considering Bud's ability to breathe out plasma that can burn holes in snowmen and vaporize ceramic teacups, I would guess that Bhut Jolokia is among them.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

GuySmiley wrote:I think the only thing I/we know for certain with today's comic is..........

it's a really good thing it's not Friday. :?
I will not, then mention, plumbing problems...
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
as363

Post by as363 »

I had mentioned the Library a couple of days ago - looks like I might have hit the mark on that one. Had also said that perhaps the Library could influence Brandi so that the more careful Brandi would be able to help at this point in time . Two more days to go - gonna be a doozie..
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Dave wrote:The Library may want to have the information and recipe, without necessarily wanting to make the information available to anyone else. I believe we've already seen indications that the Library has the equivalent of "restricted shelves", and that it controls access to its stored information based on its analysis of the motives of the people who come in search.

Similarly, it's largely in control of portal access to/from Earth, now that the Vimana Shield is blocking most interdimensional travel, and it seems to limit cross-world travel to those with sufficiently benign motivations.

So, it may be trying to get the Golem/Chimera recipes "out of insecure storage on Earth, and into secure storage in the 'really mature' sections of the shelves" where this dangerous information would be less likely to end up in the hands of those who would (once again) use it to create weapons. It may have reasons of its own for not wanting to have the recipes lost forever.
Aaaargh, that's right. :oops: Okay...okay. So, the Bibliothiki wants the info currently integrating itself into Atsali's cerebrum. SD Brandilyn Oduya would rather see that information destroyed than recorded for eternity - even if somebody is just looking for some light reading & doesn't plan to use it for its original purpose. ("good intentions can still be dangerous") The Bibliothiki also wants to heal Brandi, but we don't know for sure if that's what SD Oduya wants; there's a strong chance that this is leading up to some sort of super-tense showdown.

Now, if I could just figure out how Kath, the kachina dolls, and the six quadruplets fit into all this. *rubs temples* :| I need a drink.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

Just doesn't seem like the library is in control here. It didn't know about the storage facility or exactly where it was. This means it could not have simply re-routed Kath & co. to that location to begin with. If it could not have done that, then someone else is doing all this re-routing. The Library may be trying to find out where the facility is, but that's about it. Also, if it is simply the uranium deposit that is keeping "silent" then that will not change despite the state change the facility is undergoing at present. Whoever/whatever it is, they are cutting it kind of close with the rescue though.
Last edited by KnightDelight on Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

Dave wrote:

There's plenty of historical and literary precedent for this sort of "collect and bury dangerous information", including the (semi-mythical?) 200-mile-per-gallon carburetor, concealment of the Ark of the Covenant, and various roadside attractions.
The Library doesn't want anyone to know where Warehouse 23 is, either. Fnord.

You aren't cleared for that....
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville