Self Destruct Device 2013-05-31

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Ohnhai

Re: Self Destruct Device 2013-05-31

Post by Ohnhai »

"You have 15 minutes to reach minimum safe distance" ..... "You have 15 minutes to reach minimum safe distance" .....

(DOH!!! must remember to read the thread BEFORE posting!!!)
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
illiad

Post by illiad »

AFAICS, its a SELF destruct device... I dont think any physical damage will be done, just the 'storage system' ???
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

Well, damn. I actualy got this one right. The whole "extiction event" was to get the knowledge of how to make golems and Chimeras out of circulation. What bugs me is that SDO set Katherine up. She gave that little speech to Kath back in Mexico about being the one to decide what to do with the knowledge. But then, I guess she needed some one else to pull the trigger. I think the reason for "boxing" the Anansi, instead of just setting the transporter, er, stargate, to a wide dispersal pattern and disintigrating everyone in the process (setting the damned thing to kill them outright, in non geek talk) was that SDO couldn't bring herself to simply kill them all. So she did the next best thing. She got them all out of the way. But the world has been filling up. Orson Miller was the first to come close to discovering the mystery. He certainly wasn't going to be the last.

She needed Katherine and Lily, two Anansi, to access the stargate system and decide what to do with the people stuck in storage. Mainly because even if Senior Director Odoya and Brandi are two distinct personalaties, they still take up the same space and share the same brain. And whatever else she might be (David Xanatoslevel manupulative bastard being one of them), she still can't bring herself to kill in cold blood. The Anasasi had to be dealt with, and Kath and Lily were the only ones besides Brandi who could do it. The other part of the equation, "possibly getting Brandi's brain back together", is so that crap like this dosen't keep happening. The downside of that is that once Brandi realises what she manipulated herself to do, she's gonna have one hell of a guilt trip. She's been directly responsible for the end of two civilizations. Though it could be aurgued that the Anasasi are just a continuation of the crazy @$$ Lanthians that ended the world in the first place.

I shoudn't tempt fate by making another prediction so soon but I think we'll be seeing one of these from a re-intigrated Brandi in the near future.
donoho

Post by donoho »

Wow, never mentally compared Brandi and Xanatos. Although both super intelligents and far thinking, twas a child that brought him back from darkness and the loss of a child that pushed her in...

Given previous experiences w radiation, lets hope Kath and Sali don't go the way of Shelly 1-56.
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

Why am I suddenly very worried for Selenium's safety.

This is Amanda, mom. I'm sorry I acted the way I did. I think we should spend the evening together... just the way we planned.
It's kind of late though. Why don't you come by my place and we'll go from here?
No, I'm all right! Good.
I'll be waiting for you.

PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

As an aside, I now feel safe in blaming Chessmaster Brandi for Scientology, too.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
Wyvern

Post by Wyvern »

zachariah wrote:Now naturally occurring concentrated uranium is rare and is not prone to explode. A chain reaction will need to be started so a triggering device is needed to start the process. Usually a slow neutron source with high density of them. The other way is plutonium which is how the first bombs were built. Setting off a nuke in the zone is going to draw all sorts of unwanted attention. Plus naturally occurring uranium is U235 which can go off but not as well as U238 will. The only way to get pure U238 is separating it out of uranium deposits. With a mix the reaction is slowed down and a lot of the force is lost.
Yes, this. A fission bomb can't be made with a 7,000 year shelf life for several reasons, but a large U-238 deposit can remain warm for a long time - a radiothermal generator could theoretically last that long. (Yes, Zachariah flipped the isotope numbers in his previous post; we all have brain farts occasionally.) How well it would melt down, I'm not sure - it's not a good reactor fuel, and it's sometimes actually used as radiation shielding against other sources. There's some thought about water moderation in Gabon reactors; it's not beyond the realm of possibility that they could plan to vent steam through the habitable - until then - parts of the complex. Build load-bearing parts out of something water soluble and maybe the whole place will come down.

Don't ask me how it's supposed to "kill all outside electronics." Every way I can think of sucks a lot of power and is easy to notice.
You should be reading the Wapsi Square Wiki.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Stigmartyr762 wrote:You now have ..... minutes to reach minimum safe distance.
Kirk: How soon?

David: Encoded, four minutes.

Sulu: We're not going to make it are we?

Kirk, Spock and everyone on the bridge looks at David, who shakes his head no.

Awesome end to an awesome battle scene in the best Star Trek movie made.
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Julie

Post by Julie »

Boxilar wrote:Well, damn. I actualy got this one right. The whole "extiction event" was to get the knowledge of how to make golems and Chimeras out of circulation. What bugs me is that SDO set Katherine up. She gave that little speech to Kath back in Mexico about being the one to decide what to do with the knowledge. But then, I guess she needed some one else to pull the trigger. I think the reason for "boxing" the Anansi, instead of just setting the transporter, er, stargate, to a wide dispersal pattern and disintigrating everyone in the process (setting the damned thing to kill them outright, in non geek talk) was that SDO couldn't bring herself to simply kill them all. So she did the next best thing. She got them all out of the way. But the world has been filling up. Orson Miller was the first to come close to discovering the mystery. He certainly wasn't going to be the last.

She needed Katherine and Lily, two Anansi, to access the stargate system and decide what to do with the people stuck in storage. Mainly because even if Senior Director Odoya and Brandi are two distinct personalaties, they still take up the same space and share the same brain. And whatever else she might be (David Xanatos level manupulative bastard being one of them), she still can't bring herself to kill in cold blood. The Anasasi had to be dealt with, and Kath and Lily were the only ones besides Brandi who could do it.
Well...Brandi did say that she wouldn't hurt a fly, but given time she could make a plan that would manipulate someone into cutting out their own tongue. I guess this is SDO's way of not hurting the Anasazi people (or Kat or Atsali) but manipulating Kat & Atsali into destroying the crystals/people...and themselves in the process.

BAD SENIOR DIRECTOR! :evil: No Biscuit!!

That said, I'm kind of glad she duped the Etheitians into being uploaded into crystals if they were truly Golem/Chimera-Crazy. I don't want to imagine what the world would have been like if they'd kept at it...or how many lives would have been mutilated for their purposes... :shock:

Now...will they be able to stargate out of here? Where is the stargate that they came in through? Yay Friday Cliffahngers? :roll:
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
RunningBull

Post by RunningBull »

Providing they can get out of this mess, where does that leave the crystal that Lily and Suzie have? That particular crystal might be empty. They have already touched it, and nothing happened.
"You're not going crazy! You're going sane in a crazy world!"
- The Tick
PartTimeRaccoon

Post by PartTimeRaccoon »

DilyV wrote: Awesome end to an awesome battle scene in the best Star Trek movie made.
Which Star Trek movie did you just spoil?
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Wyvern wrote: Don't ask me how it's supposed to "kill all outside electronics." Every way I can think of sucks a lot of power and is easy to notice.
Simple. Set off a big enough nuclear reaction (read: detonation) and you get a nice sized EMP footprint. Instant Electronics killer.

Somehow though, I'm not thinking there is a nuclear device at Mapimi. Granted, put enough uranium in one spot there will be a critical mass reaction (actually happened at Oak Ridge I think... researcher put too much in one spot and it went critical. He scattered the material quickly enough to stop the reaction after it began to glow, but not before the gamma burst irradiated him enough to make his death inevitable). You can have a critical mass reaction where the mass heats up and melts down, but EMP is a result of a detonation so I don't think that a critical mass reaction is the answer to the "electronics killer" claim.

Another possibility is the radio frequency interference in areas like the Bermuda triangle... possibly a highly magnetized area that causes radio interference? There are areas like that in the Aleutians too... compasses don't work right and radio performance is iffy.

Another theory is that Gold deposits might be the shielding medium in the Mapimi Silent Zone. It is well known that gold insulates radio frequency interference. I can think of at least one military plane that has gold inlaid into it's canopy to shield from electronic and EMP interference... and Gold is concentrated by volcanic activity if I'm not mistaken, right? Brandi was standing in full view of a close range volcanic kerblooey on the surface above the Mapimi complex. If the deposit is between the complex and the surface, it would shield the complex from radio frequency. Maybe it never struck them that it wasn't so much that electronics were killed, but were just shielded from the complex... and vice versa. Nothing in, nothing out depending on your point of view.

My mind works overtime on problems like this... good mental exercise!!!

DilyV

Post by DilyV »

RunningBull wrote:Providing they can get out of this mess, where does that leave the crystal that Lily and Suzie have? That particular crystal might be empty. They have already touched it, and nothing happened.
You have to wonder if that crystal was like one of those plastic safety plugs that you put into your wall socket to keep young sirens... er... children from putting their fingers into wall sockets. Question is... how the hell did it get from Mapimi to Mesa Verde... unless SDO fled the complex through the gate to the Mesa Verde substation and left it there as a clue of sorts...

DilyV

Post by DilyV »

PartTimeRaccoon wrote:
DilyV wrote: Awesome end to an awesome battle scene in the best Star Trek movie made.
STIITWOK of course! Though I hardly think I spoiled it... it's only been around for like 30 years... LOL

PartTimeRaccoon

Post by PartTimeRaccoon »

DilyV wrote:
PartTimeRaccoon wrote:
STIITWOK of course! Though I hardly think I spoiled it... it's only been around for like 30 years... LOL
Hehe. That's OK then.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Julie wrote:Well...Brandi did say that she wouldn't hurt a fly, but given time she could make a plan that would manipulate someone into cutting out their own tongue. I guess this is SDO's way of not hurting the Anasazi people (or Kat or Atsali) but manipulating Kat & Atsali into destroying the crystals/people...and themselves in the process.

BAD SENIOR DIRECTOR! :evil: No Biscuit!!
Yeah. Not nice at all. I have a feeling that all of the major players here (including Brandi... maybe even especially Brandi) are going to be seriously upset with Oduya once they learn about this nasty little bit of manipulation.

A good goal, perhaps... suppressing the golem-and-chimera-making tech seems like taking loaded shotguns away from idiot children... but a really heartless means of implementing it.

And poor Katherine... assuming she survives, I'm not sure how it's going to affect her when she truly realizes that her whole "adventure" was deliberately set up to make her complicit in an act of what might qualify as genocide. It might break her... shove her back into reclusive depression and withdrawal. Or, she might just go down to the courthouse, and file a petition to formally change her first name to Patricia.

"Hi, everybody. From now on, you can call me Patsy."
ShirouZhiwu

Post by ShirouZhiwu »

The self destruct mechanism might be like an engine with now way to throttle down. You suddenly remove the load, it revs out of control until it comes apart. With the crystals empty they are probably not drawing power, so the power core is overloading. Cue volcanic eruption that destroys mad doctor's lab.

A civilization looking to build more golems? Now they are free? Sometimes you need to just delete files. Save the kids if you are feeling generous, but seriously, sometimes people have to go for everyone's good.
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

If SDO set up the Anasazi to kill themselves, I guess that means Kath is an Anasazi.

But the Chessmaster seemed to think Kath would have to make a choice. Did Atsali surprise her too?
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
RunningBull

Post by RunningBull »

And to think, at the start of this adventure, Kath said she wanted to make a difference. I don't think this is what she had in mind. I would hate to see that after all this, she turns out to be another pawn in one of Brandi's grand schemes. A pawn who really had no choice of her own once she started down that path.
"You're not going crazy! You're going sane in a crazy world!"
- The Tick