Sweet Dreams 2013-05-23

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Fairportfan

Sweet Dreams 2013-05-23

Post by Fairportfan »

Already the multiple personas...
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Dave

Re: Sweet Dreams 2013-05-23

Post by Dave »

OK, some suppositions confirmed and others overturned.

Acacia is definitely still in the semi-robot-golem mode here. "Bud" isn't really there - the original young girl is still submerged. And, Brandi has enough control over Acacia to put her into "suspend" status. Dunno about you, but I find that rather creepy.

Brandi is there... and so, it appears, is "Senior Director Oduya". This personality split doesn't look to me as if it was created by the "trauma of the missing children"; it already existed, and Oduya deliberately took control right in the middle of the discussion. This is likely what Brandi was referring to about being able to act, but not knowing what she'd be doing... the Brandi/Oduya split really does seem as if it's something that was set up as part of the Deal With The Demon Realm.

Although Oduya turns up the charming expression whenever she appears, the fact that she doesn't seem to want to pursue the "lost children" issue makes her seem pretty cold to me... the Chessmaster is definitely at work. I wonder how close to being a classic sociopath this personality is?
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

This may also be the time (or at least the who did it to him) that Tepoz was taken out of commission as he mentioned earlier in the comic.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Panel 5: I thought Bud's fire-eyes were spooky.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

I hope the coffee over in Confusion Corner is better than the cheap swill I have at the house, because it appears I will be residing there for a while. :shock: :ugeek:
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Stigmartyr762

Post by Stigmartyr762 »

The damages has already been done, Brandi is already split in two, Bud looks like she's been mud schlupped as Brandi puts her to sleep. So now we wait to find out what happens in a 1000 years.

Oy freakin vey!
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Dave wrote:OK, some suppositions confirmed and others overturned.

Acacia is definitely still in the semi-robot-golem mode here. "Bud" isn't really there - the original young girl is still submerged. And, Brandi has enough control over Acacia to put her into "suspend" status. Dunno about you, but I find that rather creepy.

Brandi is there... and so, it appears, is "Senior Director Oduya". This personality split doesn't look to me as if it was created by the "trauma of the missing children"; it already existed, and Oduya deliberately took control right in the middle of the discussion. This is likely what Brandi was referring to about being able to act, but not knowing what she'd be doing... the Brandi/Oduya split really does seem as if it's something that was set up as part of the Deal With The Demon Realm.

Although Oduya turns up the charming expression whenever she appears, the fact that she doesn't seem to want to pursue the "lost children" issue makes her seem pretty cold to me... the Chessmaster is definitely at work. I wonder how close to being a classic sociopath this personality is?
Not only all of this, but remember, Kikai happened about 6300 years ago... the thousand year rest would put them approximately at the 5000 years ago time frame in which the incident happened to Lily that spawned her as a Vampire... Lily isn't exact in her timing... she did say "about 5000 years ago"... when you're counting millenia, time becomes relative... above a thousand years, what is slipping your count by a couple of hundred years really?

Now, with all that out, let's check into Brandi. She made a deal with the demon realm as we're all aware, however part of the deal was that she would be able to sometimes do things or make decisions that were ethically right, but that she (Brandi) found morally objectionable, and not remember having done so. That being said, what are the chances of Brandi's inner ethical compass is a demon? It's been said that the GG's have their personalities, but not their souls... indeed, Tina can't read Jin... so what are the chances that Brandilyn is her golem girl self, but when the morally objectionable comes up, Senior Director Oduya steps up and does what has to be done without Brandi knowing. The ~gurk~ is the transference... disconnecting Brandi and connecting Senior Director Oduya. Two very different sides of the same coin. The co-inhabitation of the Brandi shell between the demon and Brandi's personality could be the demon's punishment for some perceived demon crime... sentenced to a lifetime of being Brandi's Ethical compass and forbidden to act as a normal demon would (in a word: demonic or evil) in lieu of being put completely out of existance... Seems plausible to me... but then, it IS 2:44 in the morning and things are kinda blurry... =) Besides, weren't Tina's demons pretty much sentenced to the same thing for their role in Tina dying and almost causing Monica's death?
Last edited by DilyV on Thu May 23, 2013 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Bud wrote:talk to me like I'm three
I knew that sounded familiar.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Wyvern

Post by Wyvern »

Fairportfan wrote:Already the multiple personas...

Yes, that's a very clear switchover - not merely the *gurk* but the change in word balloon shape. At that, paleo-Brandilyn is doing better than paleo-Acacia. I hope she didn't have to spend all her time under a mastaba - probably not a pyramid, since in 4354BC the first Egyptian pyramids were still 1700 years in the future. I doubt the Cerberus Club had a franchise were she was.

(BTW, that was another very quick change of avatar. I suppose those who don't follow 9CL would notice.)
You should be reading the Wapsi Square Wiki.
Wyvern

Post by Wyvern »

shadowinthelight wrote:
Bud wrote:"talk to me like I'm three"
I knew that sounded familiar.
Well spotted! Brandi should have invited some of those guys over; I'm sure they'd have been delighted to explain. At length, with experiments, demonstrations, and lab exercises.
You should be reading the Wapsi Square Wiki.
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Ooookay. I'm more than a little creeped out. :?
Dave wrote:Although Oduya turns up the charming expression whenever she appears, the fact that she doesn't seem to want to pursue the "lost children" issue makes her seem pretty cold to me...
Let's give her a chance. There's still Friday; maybe she'll do something about the Lost Girls then. I'm guessing whatever it is, it's of questionable morality; Chessmistress Oduya put Acacia into hibernate-mode first because she doesn't want any witnesses.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

I'm on my phone, so quoting is a pain. As Dilly points out, Lily's abandonment and subsequent rise as a vampire happened, or will happen here, at the right time for her to be "unboxed". And Brandolyn definitely kicked in her to avoid the ethical problem of dealing with six lost children.

I'm just remembering Tsila's comment about reuniting two lost souls and getting Brandi's mind back together.

I wonder what a reintegrated Brandi will be like?
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Boxilar wrote:I'm on my phone, so quoting is a pain. As Dilly points out, Lily's abandonment and subsequent rise as a vampire happened, or will happen here, at the right time for her to be "unboxed". And Brandolyn definitely kicked in her to avoid the ethical problem of dealing with six lost children.

I'm just remembering Tsila's comment about reuniting two lost souls and getting Brandi's mind back together.

I wonder what a reintegrated Brandi will be like?
Not sure what a re-integrated Brandi would be like, but here's something quite interesting involving Brandi and her awareness of herself... remember what I said about Moral and Ethical sides of Brandi? This seems to be proof http://wapsisquare.com/comic/leftmeclues/

I was just reading and stumbled onto it... but it sure seems to hold up my theory...
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

Opus the Poet wrote:I hope the coffee over in Confusion Corner is better than the cheap swill I have at the house, because it appears I will be residing there for a while. :shock: :ugeek:
I'm crushing some fresh roast with my Springfield butt even as we speak. And I've got Leinenkugel honey weiss on tap along with Fosters, but I'm open to suggestions for the third. (Stupid chiller was 210 single phase. Took forever to find a converter)

I believe it's highly probable that none of the disaster and "program errors" may have actually taken place and this has all been a front for some other action Ms. Brandi has yet to reveal. The random forehead glyph may be a clue (as per Oh My Goddess).
If I Knew What I Was Doing I'd Be Dangerous.
Nov shmoz ka pop?
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

Dave wrote:Brandi has enough control over Acacia to put her into "suspend" status.
Lights out!
Mark N wrote:This may also be the time (or at least the who did it to him) that Tepoz was taken out of commission as he mentioned earlier in the comic.
Unless there are several instances of Tepoz decommissioning (and I'm forgetting them), this is way too early: He was out "for 400 years", according to Kukulcan. Not 6300 years.
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
davids4250

Post by davids4250 »

I still think that with the thousands of years they have been together, Acacia and Jin would have noticed the changes "Gurk" between Brandi and Oduya. The sudden difference between the two would be very noticeable.
No trees were harmed in sending this message, however, a large number of electrons were seriously inconvenienced
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Brandi definitely lied to them about an extinction level event. She wanted them out of circulation. An event of that size would take a lot longer to settle down than a thousand years. It also has to be a localized event as Egyptian civilization was not seriously affected by it or it would be in the histories they left. So why were they taken out of circulation?

I think Bud was put into a crystal, not to sleep. If she was sent to sleep state she should have poited to base, not just flash away. That was the stargate, not a poit.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
as363

Post by as363 »

Wyvern wrote

(BTW, that was another very quick change of avatar. I suppose those who don't follow 9CL would notice.)

At least we weren't subjected to Sven in the shower !!!
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

zachariah wrote:I think Bud was put into a crystal, not to sleep. If she was sent to sleep state she should have poited to base, not just flash away. That was the stargate, not a poit.
nah, i think she was TURNED into a crystal, and that's just how it looks during the instance of transformation. remember that Tepoz was a clay statue until Monica released him, i figure the same is happening here, too.

as for Bud being controlled, well, that could be because Tepoz set up Brandi as the "tech" and the control operator over "defence" functions. so he gave her the "keys" as it were to be able to stop Bud if she goes too far in her "defense of the Ethians", ie, Tepoz doesn't want another Lanthis-style "disintegrate EVERYTHING" event. i'll bet that Brandi's portion of the personality was the one that finally stopped the Chimera from blowing up the WHOLE world, since we already know that Jin was unable to do so...

Oh, yeah... the reason we can't find anything about the Ethians... Duh! it ain't called the "Lost Tribe" by the Library for nothing!, if the Library doesn't have anything on them, then WE sure as heck ain't going to.
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
TheSkulker

Post by TheSkulker »

scantrontb wrote:Oh, yeah... the reason we can't find anything about the Ethians... Duh! it ain't called the "Lost Tribe" by the Library for nothing!, if the Library doesn't have anything on them, then WE sure as heck ain't going to.
Hmmmm. It would be just like Paul to hide something in plain sight. I wonder if Ethians/Ethia is a play on words.

Lanthians came out of the myth of Atlantis (old world). What myths come from the new world that might fit? Google and Wikis search by letters. Maybe we need to search by phonemes or sounds. Put on your punster hats and dig into new world history.
We want to see the unexpected! The strange and terrible!
A dream merely soothes - but our nightmares make us run!
GG 07-15-13