The Same Crystal 2013-05-22

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
DilyV

The Same Crystal 2013-05-22

Post by DilyV »

And Suzie is toting them around in her bra....
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
shadowinthelight

Re: The Same Crystal 2013-05-22

Post by shadowinthelight »

So the baby doll is the child of the six adult dolls combined?
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Hmmm.

Okay, so where did Lily and the other five girls come from?
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

shadowinthelight wrote:So the baby doll is the child of the six adult dolls combined?
I don't think so... unless the six larger dolls are the mothers (in their crystals) and the baby is representative of the six lost babies (in one crystal) The Kachinas are representative of something, but I don't think that's been revealed just yet... has it?
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

Well, crap. Kath may be a composite of fsix individual people/babies dumped into the same crystal.

Also, interesting side note, Bud and Brandi don't remember their origins here. They know they're golems, but don't know they were once human.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

OK the room Kat and Astali stargated into had "hundreds of thousands" of crystals, and every person got their own crystal, making the odds against multiple quadruplets only slightly lower than that guy winning the Powerball in FL having the only ticket. Still having 6 babies in the same crystal would be slightly less bad (not better, just less bad) than shunting 6 adults into the same crystal, of only because there would be no accumulated memories to sort through.

Still monumentally bad, though. As in create a monument near Mesa Verde with the stargate inside it...
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

So we are facing a high probability that Kath is a mix of six different children. The real question left is when the crystals are reactivated, will the children be separated and will she still exist?
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Well, hang on. Six unborn babies get crammed into one crystal. Lily is one of six girls who woke up in a desert without any memories. She thinks she's the only one who survived...but maybe Kath is one of those six as well. Maybe Kath was somehow protected from dying and/or rising as a vampire by the Spider Woman. Probably just bad luck that Lily wasn't found & protected as well.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
Dave

Post by Dave »

Boxilar wrote:Well, crap. Kath may be a composite of fsix individual people/babies dumped into the same crystal.
Not dissimilar in some ways to a known human biological phenomenon, when two fraternal twins merge in the womb (very soon after fertilization). You get a baby (and eventually an adult) whose body consists of a mixture of cells from two genetically distinct individuals... but only one body and personality. In theory this could happen with three or more fertilized ova but the odds are so astronomically against it I can't recall hearing of any known cases..

The medical term for such a genetically-split human? "Chimera". If you're right, Boxilar, then Katherine would be a chimera of a unique sort... and Paul could really be funning with us!
Also, interesting side note, Bud and Brandi don't remember their origins here. They know they're golems, but don't know they were once human.
Noted! And, I don't think we've seen the term "Etheitians" before? I do recall that the term "Anasazi" is not what that people called themselves (it means "ancient enemies" in another Native American language, if I remember correctly).
Last edited by Dave on Wed May 22, 2013 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

"Etheitians"?

I think Paul must have made that one up - or it avoided being wiki-ized some way.
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Indeed. I just Googled "etheitians" and got this:
Did you mean:

estheticians etherians ethicians ephesians

Hattiesburg American, Wednesday, December 28, 1927 : Front Page
newspaperarchive.com › Home › Hattiesburg American‎
... L a n wiio will e t h e i t i a n 's n i a since ills a c i pa I ' firm P. f on mb fa t a h owe vi r. of in ova Lrm r ' o r a e- pa to re o Far born in February J 1 d work at 1".
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
Wyvern

Post by Wyvern »

Boxilar wrote:Also, interesting side note, Bud and Brandi don't remember their origins here. They know they're golems, but don't know they were once human.

Their memories seem to have been locked away more than once - and considering how the Chimera was made, that may be a mercy.

I'm curious to read more about the "Etheitians" though.
You should be reading the Wapsi Square Wiki.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Brandi's cutie mark is gone again...
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Dave wrote:The medical term for such a genetically-split human? "Chimera". If you're right, Boxilar, then Katherine would be a chimera of a unique sort... and Paul could really be funning with us!
One word: Tuvix.
Fairportfan wrote:Brandi's cutie mark is gone again...
She hasn't discovered her passion in life yet.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

It could be a variation on Ethician.
If I Knew What I Was Doing I'd Be Dangerous.
Nov shmoz ka pop?
Wildcat

Post by Wildcat »

This is the sort of thing that gets hashed out in beta-testing... o.o;

Wildcat
as363

Post by as363 »

And the cat in the tree smiles - and slowly fades away.....
Aleister Crow

Post by Aleister Crow »

if Lily was one of those babies, it may explain the time difference between the disaster (~6300 years ago) and her death (~5000 years ago). It took 1300 years for someone to figure out how to separate them.
NOTDilbert wrote:"Etheitians"?

I think Paul must have made that one up - or it avoided being wiki-ized some way.
A civilization so completely lost that no one remembered to put it on the internet?
Whoever coined the phrase "more fun than a barrel of monkeys" obviously never spent an afternoon cramming the little buggers into one.
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

NOTDilbert wrote:"Etheitians"?

Well, once the Google bots come by this forum, there will be a search reference to the word and it'll be us. That should happen any time now.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
Sideromelane

Post by Sideromelane »

In animals Chimeraism causes stuff like

while in humans, you can get some really weird examples along these lines:

which, might look kinda neat, but iirc causes weird complications in some cases. It's also not THAT uncommon, although most people who have it might never realize, unless they get specific genetic tests done.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chimera_%28genetics%29 for more info I guess.

Now while I'm no expert, and while the pigmentation weirdness is not meant to be particularly noticible in most cases, we've seen, um, a LOT of Katherine's skin in the comic. I'm sure some hints may have shown up before now if she WAS some sort of chimera?
We might die and be destroyed. But we do not surrender, and we never -- Ever -- Quit.