The Awesome Comments

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Danzier

The Awesome Comments

Post by Danzier »

YAY COMMENTS ARE BACK ON THE SITE!!!!!!!

...and i'm the only person on the planet without a facebook account to comment with. :(
Knowing you'll get a second chance does not justify purposely screwing up the first one. --Me
MerchManDan

Re: The Awesome Comments

Post by MerchManDan »

Don't worry about it; despite how useful it is for connecting with people, Facebook is largely overrated & can politely be described as a MASSIVE waste of time.
Fortunately, this forum is still up; feel free to comment here, as much as you like. :)
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
RunningBull

Post by RunningBull »

MerchManDan wrote:Don't worry about it; despite how useful it is for connecting with people, Facebook is largely overrated & can politely be described as a MASSIVE waste of time.
Fortunately, this forum is still up; feel free to comment here, as much as you like. :)
I agree that Facebook is very good at connecting people. It could be useful for connecting people with Wapsi while you are on, some might inquire, that sort of thing. However, I think it is harder to follow a line of thinking for a particular strip by adding the Facebook comments on the page of every strip. Harder to quote, or link to another past strip to make a point. I think the comments are harder to read overall. I prefer the forum, with the addition of the other sections like "Fan Art" which would never have been with the old system. The Fan Art section is encouraging some to draw again, and be creative. To me, that's a forum done right!
"You're not going crazy! You're going sane in a crazy world!"
- The Tick
Julie

Post by Julie »

Yeah...I said I'd read the comments on the strips, but only give my input in the forum...I may have lied. I didn't even both to read the comments for Friday or today. :roll:
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Jürgen A. Erhard

Post by Jürgen A. Erhard »

I actually prefer comments beneath the comics. Said so in the past, still think so. A stream is much easier and quicker to run across than multiple, non-threaded(!) pages on this forum.

I still miss the old comments, though. Don't expect them to ever see the light of day again, at this point, sadly. :|
Leak

Post by Leak »

Jürgen A. Erhard wrote:I actually prefer comments beneath the comics. Said so in the past, still think so. A stream is much easier and quicker to run across than multiple, non-threaded(!) pages on this forum.
So when you go back to a comic page, how do you determine which of all those posts in the thread are new since the last time you looked at it? Or do you re-read them all?
Julie

Post by Julie »

Leak wrote:
Jürgen A. Erhard wrote:I actually prefer comments beneath the comics. Said so in the past, still think so. A stream is much easier and quicker to run across than multiple, non-threaded(!) pages on this forum.
So when you go back to a comic page, how do you determine which of all those posts in the thread are new since the last time you looked at it? Or do you re-read them all?
Yeah...that's definitely something I appreciate about the forum. :D
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
txmystic

Post by txmystic »

OK, so I'm late to the party on this one, and I am surprised not to have seen more comments about this particular subject, but like the originator, I am not, nor will I ever be, on facebook. I'm pretty certain that someday the iron grip fb has on all things social will loosen. Until then, I remain faithfully rooted in the confusion corner.

Guarding the food and drink.

Cuz...you know...someone has to...
Dave

Post by Dave »

txmystic wrote:OK, so I'm late to the party on this one, and I am surprised not to have seen more comments about this particular subject, but like the originator, I am not, nor will I ever be, on facebook. I'm pretty certain that someday the iron grip fb has on all things social will loosen. Until then, I remain faithfully rooted in the confusion corner..
I recently took part in an amateur radio emergency-service drill. We were simulating a wide-scale, prolonged loss of electrical power throughout the San Francisco Bay area. I was assigned to one of my city's fire stations, set up my packet-radio system, and started sending in some partially-scripted messages to represent what the station might see during such an emergency.

One of the messages I made up: DRILL TRAFFIC. CELLPHONE AND INTERNET SERVICE UNAVAILABLE IN THIS AREA. TWITTER, FACEBOOK ENTIRELY OFF-LINE. CITIZENS DISORIENTED, ANXIOUS. URGENTLY NEED RESUPPLY OF YELLOW-STICKY PADS LARGE ENOUGH FOR 140 CHARACTER WRITTEN TWEETS.

Never did get a resupply, even when I complained that the lack of power made it impossible for me to warm up my lunchtime haggis.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Dave wrote:Never did get a resupply, even when I complained that the lack of power made it impossible for me to warm up my lunchtime haggis.
Even in the greatest of tragedies, there are moments that give you hope...

:P
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

Dave wrote:
txmystic wrote:OK, so I'm late to the party on this one, and I am surprised not to have seen more comments about this particular subject, but like the originator, I am not, nor will I ever be, on facebook. I'm pretty certain that someday the iron grip fb has on all things social will loosen. Until then, I remain faithfully rooted in the confusion corner..
I recently took part in an amateur radio emergency-service drill. We were simulating a wide-scale, prolonged loss of electrical power throughout the San Francisco Bay area. I was assigned to one of my city's fire stations, set up my packet-radio system, and started sending in some partially-scripted messages to represent what the station might see during such an emergency.

One of the messages I made up: DRILL TRAFFIC. CELLPHONE AND INTERNET SERVICE UNAVAILABLE IN THIS AREA. TWITTER, FACEBOOK ENTIRELY OFF-LINE. CITIZENS DISORIENTED, ANXIOUS. URGENTLY NEED RESUPPLY OF YELLOW-STICKY PADS LARGE ENOUGH FOR 140 CHARACTER WRITTEN TWEETS.

Never did get a resupply, even when I complained that the lack of power made it impossible for me to warm up my lunchtime haggis.
Would be a wonderfully evil thing to do to put that on something like the Times Square marquee scroll.

And then try to Escape From New York....Would be worse than the Zombie Apocalypse.

San Fran is one of the places on my bucket list to visit someday.
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
Dave

Post by Dave »

NOTDilbert wrote:Would be a wonderfully evil thing to do to put that on something like the Times Square marquee scroll.

And then try to Escape From New York....Would be worse than the Zombie Apocalypse.
Ray Bradbury wrote a short story "The Murderer" which quite accurately describes the mayhem which resulted when a man fed up with his fellow citizens' constant online chatter, used a powerful radio jammer to shut down all personal electronic communications within a radius of several blocks. It sparked quite a panic... people just couldn't cope with suddenly being cut off from their electronic web of contact.

Bradbury wrote it in 1953, and his description of cellphone culture was spot-on.
Dragon Hostler

Post by Dragon Hostler »

Ray Bradbury wrote a short story "The Murderer" which quite accurately describes the mayhem which resulted when a man fed up with his fellow citizens' constant online chatter, used a powerful radio jammer to shut down all personal electronic communications within a radius of several blocks. It sparked quite a panic... people just couldn't cope with suddenly being cut off from their electronic web of contact.

Bradbury wrote it in 1953, and his description of cellphone culture was spot-on.
That's one I'll have to read on my Kindle, got WiFi? :D
Haven't read any Bradbury in ages. The first books I did read on Kindle were Jules Verne and Mark Twain.
Born Again Heathen
Hostling dragons is similar to hostling horses, but ya need a bigger shovel, oh, and bigger nose plugs. Don't forget the nose plugs!
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Dragon Hostler wrote:

That's one I'll have to read on my Kindle, got WiFi? :D
Haven't read any Bradbury in ages. The first books I did read on Kindle were Jules Verne and Mark Twain.
Yup, and 4G capabilities...

First thing I read was The Hobbit...well, read to my son.
We also read Dr. Seuss and Mark Twain.

I prefer the creepiness of Bradbury's " The Veldt". Someone made rather creepy TV shows of it and other shorts.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

DinkyInky wrote:

I prefer the creepiness of Bradbury's " The Veldt". Someone made rather creepy TV shows of it and other shorts.
Ray Bradbury Theater was a great piece of television art.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Mark N wrote:
DinkyInky wrote:

I wish I could get a box set of that for my Mother. We had a rare moment in time of actually hanging out when that came on. She actually bought me that book, and had me read it to her.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

--Safyr Drathmir
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

DinkyInky wrote:
Mark N wrote:
DinkyInky wrote:

I wish I could get a box set of that for my Mother. We had a rare moment in time of actually hanging out when that came on. She actually bought me that book with "The Veldt" and other stories in it, and had me read it to her.

--Safyr Drathmir