Do the Decoy 2013-03-28

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
DilyV

Re: Do the Decoy 2013-03-28

Post by DilyV »

KnightDelight wrote:Could it be Kath is about to steal away while Atsali provides a diversion? And I mean leave Atsali behind to boot so as to protect her from further harm? Not telling her how to get in the copter may be a clue she didn't actually want her to do any real damage, just keep them busy while she fumbles about trying to get in. At least Atsali could tie the rope to the landing rails to slow them down some.

OTOH, if Kath climbs out, can she get down from that rock (or mesa or whatever it is) without Atsali to fly her? Has she found another way out after all? Only one more comic to go, the dreaded cliffhanger Friday so something iffy should happen.
Kinda like the Ewok that stole the speeder bike in The Return of the Jedi. *cue music from that scene* ... aaaaaaand... ACTION!!!
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

My2Cents wrote:In the 1st frame it looks like Atsali has a couple holes torn in her top for the wings to go through. Makes sense, unless she has a magic wardrobe.

In the 3rd frame it looks like Atsali is trailing a rope. I expect Kathryn is busy climbing it as we speak.

OK, Atasli is suppose to get into the Apache, probably to try to disable it. Please tell me that Kathryn is NOT going to steal the Blackhawk, that girl has to have some limits!
While it may very well be a rope, I don't think they had any with them... unless you count the rapelling ropes, but those would have went away when the chopers flew off to land... in my opinion, it could be... well, watch this... it'll explain everything... LOL

You see the straight line of the intended path... I think the curved lines represent the fact that Atsali is showing off a little.

kingklash

Post by kingklash »

I wonder, is one of Katherine's instructions: "Just be Atsali"? That would work really well.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

I have flown a chopper, and it is not something that can be done without some training. Thing is Atsali is the perfect kamikaze chopper pilot because she can dive away from the "bird" and deploy her wings when she's far enough from the rotors and downwash to be safe flying. So get in the attack chopper and shoot up the Blackhawk, then bail from the Apache and let it crash temporarily stranding the MIB, then fly away under her own power carrying Kath. Of course all this assumes that she understands the controls and how to aim and fire the guns... But then she could be an experienced gamer that quickly acclimates to new control systems which could have her in perfect control of the chopper in a few seconds.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Just hit me - the door behind her is open - but there are two choppers.

Perhaps the plan is to do something with the OTHER one, and that's the one Katharine didn't tell her enough about...
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Fairportfan wrote:Just hit me - the door behind her is open - but there are two choppers.

Perhaps the plan is to do something with the OTHER one, and that's the one Katharine didn't tell her enough about...
Maybe. But the chopper she is near is the only one that can carry more than one or two people. If they disable that one then the other has to remain to make sure the rest of them car be found again. the other could abandon them but lily is more than likely the boss of them. It will depend on her choice of what to do. They want to help, not wipe them out.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Wdot

Post by Wdot »

I was just thinking that Kath's plan was so detailed it had everything but how to open the door in the directions. That was my take on it anyhow.
Make the wrong things difficult, and the right things easy. Notice the smallest change and the slightest try and reward him.
----Ray Hunt
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Seems like Atsali is about to play "Grand Theft Autogyro: Mesa Verde."
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
sheik

Post by sheik »

DilyV wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote:
My2Cents wrote:To disable the helicopter I would suggest that she loop the rope a couple times around the main and tail rotors and tie it. Won’t stop them for long, but probably enough. Alternatively she could take a dump on the pilots seat. Think about it, he runs to start the chopper, opens the hatch, and is jumping in just as the odor hits him. Bet its a hot day, too.
But that's giving a man with a GAU-8 a reason to really, really dislike you...
:P
GAU-8 is the A-10... The Apache is armed with the M230 Chann Gun. Single Single Barrel, and sighted by the IHDSS (the helmet with the little monocular thingie).
Yeah, big difference.
The M230 fires a mix of HE and AP, the GAU-8 fires strictly DU; not exactly the best choice for soft targets.
sheik

Post by sheik »

I don't think sabotage per se is the objective.
After all, docking a researcher's pay to cover what could be millions of dollars of damage is deterrence enough.
I think distraction is the real point.
Like someone else mentioned, we don't know what Ms Gilchrist is up to at this moment.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

sheik wrote:Yeah, big difference.
The M230 fires a mix of HE and AP, the GAU-8 fires strictly DU; not exactly the best choice for soft targets.
Heh... Have you seen what it does to soft targets? Can you say swiss cheese?

My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

sheik wrote:The M230 fires a mix of HE and AP, the GAU-8 fires strictly DU; not exactly the best choice for soft targets.
Standard anti-armor mix for the GAU-8 4xAPI + 1xHEI. After OIF I imagine they were using the reverse (1xAPI + 4xHEI), since there is no armor vehicles t0 hit.
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

All I know is, big guns go BOOM and make fresh meat real quick.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
ChattaStarhawk

Post by ChattaStarhawk »

Uh, gang? She's next to the Apache, not the Blackhawk.
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

DilyV wrote:
sheik wrote:Yeah, big difference.
Heh... Have you seen what it does to soft targets? Can you say swiss cheese?
Snort!
RunningBull

Post by RunningBull »

I have no idea if it would be possible, but what if she drained the fuel tank? That would ground a chopper wouldn't it? And there would be no actual damage.
"You're not going crazy! You're going sane in a crazy world!"
- The Tick
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

RunningBull wrote:I have no idea if it would be possible, but what if she drained the fuel tank? That would ground a chopper wouldn't it? And there would be no actual damage.
Nice thought but finding where the drain valve is will be difficult for anyone who doesn't know how they are put together. Most of the fuel tanks are hardened as well so simple puncture is not in the plan. Likewise pulling a fuel hose out is out too. The tanks and hoses are designed to take abuse and keep delivering fuel. Remember Choppers do not glide very well. They auto-rotate into the ground.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.