Wapsi Square Car Fundraiser

Keep your eye on this spot for the latest info for original Wapsi Square art and other merchandise.

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Wapsi
Site Admin

Wapsi Square Car Fundraiser

Post by Wapsi »

Dodge is running a new program where folks can help fund a new car for someone! As I’m in the market for a new car, I thought that I would turn to my most awesome Wapsi Square fans! Yep, even nerds who draw graphic novels need a car to go buy new art supplies and safely drive their child to school and run other errands. I need all your help over the next 90 days to buy a new car to help get me and my family safely from point A to point B. Please click this link HERE and help out supporting the creator of the comic that you enjoy! =D Thanks much in advance!

EDIT: Apparently, the fundraiser site doesn't allow for folks outside of the US to contribute. =( Please feel free to use the Paypal button on my main page and just add a note that say's "car fundraiser".
shadowinthelight

Re: Wapsi Square Car Fundraiser

Post by shadowinthelight »

It's too bad we aren't related or else you could use my GM employee discount once I hit 90 days. Got a single sister I could marry? ;)
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Leak

Post by Leak »

Well, I'd be happy to help a bit, but since I'm no US-of-A-ian the rules don't allow me to... :(
Wapsi
Site Admin

Post by Wapsi »

Leak wrote:Well, I'd be happy to help a bit, but since I'm no US-of-A-ian the rules don't allow me to... :(
I'm not sure why it does that, but that's their silly rule. =( Please feel free to use the Paypal button on my page and just add a note that says "car fundraiser".
Julie

Post by Julie »

I'd love to help, but my husband and I are currently raising funds for our own car purchase. :( His vehicle has over 250k miles on it and the front windows are super-glued shut so they don't fall down while he's driving. I'm kind of tired of being the primary driver with a car that's only got 75k miles on it. :P Good luck getting your new car though! You'll probably beat us to it since we're not doing the registry thing (we buy used). :)
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Leak

Post by Leak »

Why, I don't even HAVE a car. And no license either.

Of course, having ample public transportation helps... :D
Wapsi
Site Admin

Post by Wapsi »

It's always nice to be refereed to as a lazy slob who expects to get paid for artwork that is free for all to see. =/ http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/sho ... p?t=683380
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

:shock: What a serious Asshole. I love people that have nothing better to do than to try and put others down to make themselves feel superior to others.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Illegitimi nil carborundum, Paul!

I was pleased to see that most of the comments on the Straight Dope page came down on the side of "Sure, this is a fine thing to do", as I happen to agree. The analogy to busking is a very good one, and it's a tradition with very old roots. Much of what's now considered "great art" and "classical music" in the European and American traditions was created by artists who were being funded and subsidized by wealthy families and courts. I imagine that there were storytellers entertaining the tribes huddled around the fire in the caves, 10,000 years or more ago, who would periodically make their needs known and accept offerings in return for what they had to offer.

It's just about the freest sort of free enterprise I can imagine. Create something, put it out for everyone to enjoy, and see if people appreciate it enough to freely offer some sort of financial support in return as a "thank you" and/or to enable and encourage the creation of more of the same. Compared to an "access only by subscription" system, the voluntary approach certainly results in far more people seeing your work and not paying (there will always be plenty of free-riders) but I suspect that you may well have received more financial support this way than if you demanded it in return for access. I don't see that there's anything tacky about asking... that's what all of us wage-slaves do when we accept a job and come to work on Monday :-)

My guess is that a lot of the people who have negative feelings about this, really don't realize how much work is involved in any sort of creative endeavor, and how necessary it is that artists receive support and compensation for what they create. The same mentality of entitlement seems to drive the "I shouldn't have to pay for the music I listen to, because I can download it for free" philosophy (and I'll grant that the big music near-monopoly companies have long needed a swift kick in the butt, but ripping off the artists and creators is not the right solution!)

I would have liked to fund a specific part of the car, just for grins, but I wasn't entirely comfortable with using a payment-processing company I'd never heard of before... so I just used PayPal instead, as I know that works well.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

I have a couple of friends that are reasonable names in the 'Furry Tit' (pardon the French) art scene. I have seen the amount of work it takes to put out a finished product as simple as a single figure line drawing. Not to mention if it goes into shading or coloring. Adding the complication of making a coherent story multiplies the difficulty.
It takes a lot of work to get stuff like this done. And Paul is putting out five pages a week on a consistent basis. This is more than forty hours a week. I not only see no harm in asking for donations, I see it as the way he puts food on the table.
There's nothing wrong with someone asking people to help. He's still putting out a high quality product for not cost.
Good on you, Paul.
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Julie

Post by Julie »

Wapsi wrote:It's always nice to be refereed to as a lazy slob who expects to get paid for artwork that is free for all to see. =/ http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/sho ... p?t=683380
Some people's children. *shakes head* I'm with Dave on this one...at least almost everyone commenting on that page seemed to be on the same side of the issue as you and your fan-base.

I would also like to point out that I giggled more than a little bit when I saw one commenter refer to you as a female. :) But then, I work hard to find crazy little reasons to giggle. :P
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Wapsi
Site Admin

Post by Wapsi »

Julie wrote:I would also like to point out that I giggled more than a little bit when I saw one commenter refer to you as a female. :) But then, I work hard to find crazy little reasons to giggle. :P
I take that as a compliment of writing good female characters. =)