Unstable Structure 2013-02-20

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
davids4250

Re: Unstable Structure 2013-02-20

Post by davids4250 »

It occurs to me that Ms. Atsali does not yet know of Katherine's connection to spiders, just that she is looking for kachina dolls. Some especially large spiders are known to eat birds. Hmmmmm...
No trees were harmed in sending this message, however, a large number of electrons were seriously inconvenienced
Sphinx-Napped

Post by Sphinx-Napped »

ruh roh i seen enough temple of doom reruns to know what happens if you grab that jar.... dont do it bird brain or you going to get giant spider on you
Punjar repair man, that recently up graded the pun jar to 2.0 now with self defense and and evil ai that will try to kill you, if you even try to hurt it for doing its job...
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

davids4250 wrote:It occurs to me that Ms. Atsali does not yet know of Katherine's connection to spiders, just that she is looking for kachina dolls. Some especially large spiders are known to eat birds. Hmmmmm...
Goliath-siren-eatin_spideri.jpg
Goliath-siren-eatin_spideri.jpg (101.03 KiB) Viewed 9482 times
:shock:
(spiders should NOT be big enough to club to death)
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Sideromelane

Post by Sideromelane »

Jabberwonky wrote:
davids4250 wrote:It occurs to me that Ms. Atsali does not yet know of Katherine's connection to spiders, just that she is looking for kachina dolls. Some especially large spiders are known to eat birds. Hmmmmm...
I want a Goliath. So cute 'n fuzzy <3

And just to bring the squick factor to 10 for some forum members: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/33898377/61039 ... 3eab_o.jpg <- (semi NSFW but clean and tasteful)
We might die and be destroyed. But we do not surrender, and we never -- Ever -- Quit.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

DilyV wrote:
Yamara wrote:
shadowinthelight wrote:I spy a jiggling spider.
EATING A BABY
Or, Protecting a baby.

babeh... the other, other white meat... Babeh... it's what's for dinner.

*drops a spidersilk lined Bikini top in the pun jar and skips away whistling innocently*
"Orc: The Other Green Meat"
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Julie

Post by Julie »

Dave wrote:
Boxilar wrote:Paul, do you mean "reset" your shoulder instead of "reduce"?
"Reduce" is the correct term, I believe... it's used with respect to both fractures and dislocations.

In this context, it doesn't mean "reduce in volume by gently boiling, in order to concentrate the flavors" as it does with a sauce or broth. Usually. :twisted:
Thanks for that clarification. The choice of words was bothering/confusing me too. :)

Also, I'm am decidedly avoiding anything more than brief glimpses at the eight-legged-critter pictures that are starting to appear in this thread. It may be 9:30 am, but I still won't sleep at night if I look at them for too long. :shock:
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Wapsi
Site Admin

Post by Wapsi »

Boxilar wrote:Paul, do you mean "reset" your shoulder instead of "reduce"?
You nerds. Reducing A Dislocated Shoulder:
Dave

Post by Dave »

Fairportfan wrote:"Orc: The Other Green Meat"
I always wanted to see a poster like that showing up on a wall in the Zocalo in "Babylon 5", portraying some weird octopoidal creature from Brakir or Centauri Prime. "Eat br'tangi - the other purple meat!"
TheDOCTOR
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa. via Gallifrey, in Constallation of Kastaborus

Post by TheDOCTOR »

If either of you didn't grab a camera or your cells broken, I'd grab that vase as evidence..QUICK!
RunningBull

Post by RunningBull »

TheDOCTOR wrote:If either of you didn't grab a camera or your cells broken, I'd grab that vase as evidence..QUICK!
I was thinking the same thing, Kat seems to have lost her jacket, she appears to have no purse, and she's wearing a skirt. I don't know where she would still be hiding a cell phone. Atsali might have one, she's wearing jeans and every 15 year old has a cell nowadays right?
"You're not going crazy! You're going sane in a crazy world!"
- The Tick
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Dave wrote:
Fairportfan wrote:"Orc: The Other Green Meat"
I always wanted to see a poster like that showing up on a wall in the Zocalo in "Babylon 5", portraying some weird octopoidal creature from Brakir or Centauri Prime. "Eat br'tangi - the other purple meat!"
That "green meat" bit is from an Esther Friesner book, Temping Fate, about a girl who needs a summer job her senior year and fails to get hired at one place when she wears a shirt that says that to the interview.

She eventually gets hired at a rather strange temp agency, run as a sideline to their textile business by three strange sisters. Then she meets the spider who lives in the corner of the office...
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Dave

Post by Dave »

Fairportfan wrote:That "green meat" bit is from an Esther Friesner book, Temping Fate
Thanks, I'll have to look it up. I'm sure this will come as an unexpected shock to everyone, but I do have a wee fondness for books whose titles include puns ;)
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Back in my childhood, we heard stories from Ma she learned from her aunts and grandmas about what critters were "related" to us. "Grandmother Spider-Woman" was mentioned from time to time. If we were outdoors somewhwere, and one of us found a Daddy Long-legs crawling on us, she'd say, "That's probably one of your ancestors checking to see if you're safe." I like spiders. They're cool.
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

Jabberwonky wrote:

Hm...

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/harmless/

Hmmmmmmm...
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

kingklash wrote:Back in my childhood, we heard stories from Ma she learned from her aunts and grandmas about what critters were "related" to us. "Grandmother Spider-Woman" was mentioned from time to time. If we were outdoors somewhwere, and one of us found a Daddy Long-legs crawling on us, she'd say, "That's probably one of your ancestors checking to see if you're safe." I like spiders. They're cool.
May i recommend to you (and everyone else), Elizabeth Scarborough's Godmother's Web (the third of her "Godmother" books, the first of which, The Godmother*, i also recommend whole-heartedly - the middle book is only for completists, in my opinion, and the third pretty much stands alone)?

A young white woman (early twenties, maybe) winds up lost, riding a horse that she was supposed to be taking out to get some trail experience, on the Rez in Arizona. She meets Godmother. Godmother begs a ride, and leads her into all sorts of adventures involving both Hopi and Navajo characters. Godmother likes to weave.

Retellings of various Navajo and Hopi stories are included as stand-alone chapters.

================

* Modern setting in the Pacific Northwest, mixes several classic fairy tales One of them is "Snow White"; a teenaged girl "Snohomish", the daughter of a rock star, whose stepmother arranges to have ... removed. She winds up in the woods with seven variously PTSD-afflicted Viet Nam vets who are basically holding a retreat. Scarborough, BTW, was an Army nurse in Viet Nam.
=====================
=====================
mike weber
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Let the record show that I totally called it. 8-)
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Opus the Poet wrote:The "baby"on the urn looks remarkably like the one doll that was recovered from that guy that left his backpack in the desert after he tried to return the other dolls...ETA comic link: http://wapsisquare.com/comic/odd-symbols/
And I need to stop editing my posts and just quote them when I find the link, otherwise they get "lost" when people click the "since last read" button. And the rest of the dolls are on the pottery also...
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Julie wrote:Also, I'm am decidedly avoiding anything more than brief glimpses at the eight-legged-critter pictures that are starting to appear in this thread. It may be 9:30 am, but I still won't sleep at night if I look at them for too long. :shock:
Not to worry...
Clockpunk Spider 01.jpg
Clockpunk Spider 01.jpg (44.54 KiB) Viewed 9398 times
Clockpunk Spider 02.jpg
Clockpunk Spider 02.jpg (19.15 KiB) Viewed 9398 times
They're just elaborate clockworks.
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Dave

Post by Dave »

Jabberwonky wrote:
Julie wrote:Also, I'm am decidedly avoiding anything more than brief glimpses at the eight-legged-critter pictures that are starting to appear in this thread. It may be 9:30 am, but I still won't sleep at night if I look at them for too long. :shock:
Not to worry.

They're just elaborate clockworks.
Oh, great. Borg arachnids. And this, you consider comforting? :o
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

I need to find just the right spider pic to make a Dalek-spider from...
=====================
=====================
mike weber