I Can Help 2013-02-04

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Atomic

I Can Help 2013-02-04

Post by Atomic »

Ah.. somebody doesn't want Phix to know something....
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Jabberwonky

Re: I Can Help 2013-02-04

Post by Jabberwonky »

"I know what I'm doing. Trust me."
:)
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Wyvern

Post by Wyvern »

"I can help." Can. Not should, can.
You should be reading the Wapsi Square Wiki.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Atomic wrote:Ah.. somebody doesn't want Phix to know something....
Phix has made it known that she's not fond of 'adventurers'.
Dave

Post by Dave »

At least Katherine is cautious and a bit nervous... no real indication of a Siren's Song enchantment as of yet.

Although... at the age of 15, Atsali's musical tastes may be a bit too strongly influenced by modern pop, rap, etc. to rate high on the entrancement scale. Somehow I don't see Justin Bieber as a world-class Svengali... but maybe I'm just showing my age.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

I am getting a strange vibe from this Siren :roll:

(Places a Rogers High Fidelity EHF-100 integrated amplifier with 2 extra sets of Russian vintage tubes in the Pun Vault.)
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

Dave wrote:At least Katherine is cautious and a bit nervous... no real indication of a Siren's Song enchantment as of yet.

Although... at the age of 15, Atsali's musical tastes may be a bit too strongly influenced by modern pop, rap, etc. to rate high on the entrancement scale. Somehow I don't see Justin Bieber as a world-class Svengali... but maybe I'm just showing my age.
well, yeah, but I'll hazard as guess with a name like "Dave" you aren't a tween female either :D ... I'm sure if he were out there on some rocks replacing the Sirens of old, and the sailors were replaced with tween fems, they'd go crashing into the rocks just the same as the older sailors in our mythology were... have you SEEN some videos of some of his concerts? He's almost as bad as Elvis, and the Beatles were to our generation.
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

15 years old. No, she's not a naive schoolgirl at all...
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

shadowinthelight wrote:15 years old. No, she's not a naive schoolgirl at all...
Of course the age changes if she is using the timescale of another world. One world will orbit a star at a different rate than another after all.

It also seems more and more likely that this is all an elaborate set-up to get Kath into the supernatural for some reason.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

yeah, i think it's more of her thinking to herself: "but Phix'll tell you what you need to know and then I'll get told to go back and practice my voice lessons... i NEVER get to GO anywhere... BUT... if 'I' show you where to go, then you'll take me with you and I'll GET TO GO... SQUEEE"... "now how do get her to take me with her... hmmm... "no, I mean, NO, You can't do that, ...""
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

Not all of Indiana Jones's companions were trustworthy, y'know.
shadowinthelight wrote:15 years old. No, she's not a naive schoolgirl at all...
Atsali's still emphasizing obvious contradictions.

And now she suddenly doesn't want Kath to seek Phix. And she seems to have no worries of evading the apos and tricking the sentient Library. Which is only possible if...

I think it's time to employ the counterintuition metagaming shadow rules.

I disbelieve.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
sonicthunder

Post by sonicthunder »

Jabberwonky wrote:
To be fair, Phix hasn't been fond of much anyone these days.

Lying or not, probably a good thing to keep Kat away from Phix. Phix is getting pretty liberal with that right hook.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

sonicthunder wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote:

Lying or not, probably a good thing to keep Kat away from Phix. Phix is getting pretty liberal with that right hook.
Now, now. Phix seemed to enjoy having Medeia for brunch.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

This sounds exactly like a fifteen year old who doesn't want to be left out of something. The quick, and often transparent, story about knowing what is going on. The bragging about how old and world wise she is, the perfect guide, etc. This one is the type to run off a cliff just by not looking down as she runs. Kathrine's innate caution just might save the two of them. When this all ends I can see her getting dragged off by her mama who has a death grip on her ear. "YOU ARE GROUNDED FOR THE NEXT THOUSAND YEARS!!! NOW GO TO YOUR CAVE!!!!!"
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

It also sounds like a siren. Which, I imagine, is a bit irritating to the ears.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
TlalocW

Post by TlalocW »

Wow, that Siren's really going off on Katherine.

TlalocW - standing tall and proud in defiance of the pun jar
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

scantrontb wrote:
Dave wrote:At least Katherine is cautious and a bit nervous... no real indication of a Siren's Song enchantment as of yet.

well, yeah, but I'll hazard as guess with a name like "Dave" you aren't a tween female either :D ... I'm sure if he were out there on some rocks replacing the Sirens of old, and the sailors were replaced with tween fems, they'd go crashing into the rocks just the same as the older sailors in our mythology were... have you SEEN some videos of some of his concerts? He's almost as bad as Elvis, and the Beatles were to our generation.
Hmmm... What if she's in to Rockabilly? Blues, maybe? Or 1940s Big Band? She could be a musical powerhouse! Of course, she could just be a moocher... you never can tell.

Carefully puts bright pink '54 Caddy ragtop into Pun Jar.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Julie

Post by Julie »

sonicthunder wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote:

Meh...I recall that Phix actually was nice to/liked Kat when she was there before, and given that she was obviously invited to visit the Library again sans Monica, I doubt that she'd be mishandled by our phavorite sphinx. :) What's more likely IMO, is that Phix would redirect Kat to one of the group who could either deter her or would take over the "adventure" and leave Kat out of the loop (for her own good, of course). Without Phix's involvement, the trip could still be a go, and it would be much more adventurous (and probably dangerous given what we've seen before).
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Wdot

Post by Wdot »

Ok. Still computerless so I'll keep this short before I throw the phone across the room.

Woo Hoo Katherine ~ Fluttershy!
Art of Kat as Fluttershy= awesome. Love all the art in the art section! Keep it up guys/gals!

Not that Phix needs defending, but: Bia needed belting, the sphinx was too stupid to live, Nudge needling Phix was necessary and therapeutic , Vampires need swatting, and caping Monica was accidental.

Watch out if our little siren has been reading "Nancy Drew" in the past.

As far as too many characters go, that's like saying there were too many characters in
edgar rice burroughs' Tarzan series. Don't people read novels any more!?
Make the wrong things difficult, and the right things easy. Notice the smallest change and the slightest try and reward him.
----Ray Hunt
Dave

Post by Dave »

scantrontb wrote:

well, yeah, but I'll hazard as guess with a name like "Dave" you aren't a tween female either :D ...
Curses... you've "outed" me. I'm a man in his fifties who is not pretending to be a teenage girl while posting in an Internet social forum. I guess I'm not a trend-follower. :lol:
I'm sure if he were out there on some rocks replacing the Sirens of old, and the sailors were replaced with tween fems, they'd go crashing into the rocks just the same as the older sailors in our mythology were... have you SEEN some videos of some of his concerts? He's almost as bad as Elvis, and the Beatles were to our generation.
Understood. However, Katherine is probably mature enough for such teen crush-effects to have lost most of their power.

Katherine is in an interesting position... unlike any of the other core Earthers in the Wapsi gang (I started to say "humans" but we now know that some of them aren't). Up until now, the paranormals they've encountered have been "old soul" types... often old in years, powerful, and mature in their outlook (I include Tsillah in this class even though her calendar age is unknown and her schoolgirlgoblin form looks young). Our gang have usually played the junior roles... padawans, country cousins, etc.

Kat is the first of the gang to be tossed into a paranormal encounter where she is cast in the role of the adult... and of all the gang she's probably the one who is going to be the least comfortable with it. I could see this going in directions where she ends up acting in loco parentis to this young Siren, and that would definitely be a stretch for her.

Looking forward to see just who takes whom under her wing :) as it may end up as a growing-up adventure for both of them.