Norway: Tunnel closed six days by ... cheese fire?

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Fairportfan

Norway: Tunnel closed six days by ... cheese fire?

Post by Fairportfan »

Cheese fire causes traffic meltdown in Norway tunnel
Reuters wrote:A truckload of burning cheese has closed a road tunnel in Arctic Norway for the last six days.

Some 27 metric tons of flaming brown cheese (brunost), a Norwegian delicacy, blocked off a three-km (1.9 mile) tunnel near the northern coastal town of Narvik when it caught fire last Thursday. The fire was finally put out on Monday.

"This high concentration of fat and sugar is almost like petrol if it gets hot enough," said Viggo Berg, a policeman.

Brown cheese is made from whey, contains up to 30 percent fat and has a caramel taste.

"I didn't know that brown cheese burns so well," said Kjell Bjoern Vinje at the Norwegian Public Roads Administration.

He added that in his 15 years in the administration, this was the first time cheese had caught fire on Norwegian roads.

Berg said that no one was injured in the fire, only one other vehicle was in the area at the time and that the accident had luckily happened close to one of the tunnel's exits.

The tunnel will closed for repairs for at least a week.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Jabberwonky

Re: Norway: Tunnel closed six days by ... cheese fire?

Post by Jabberwonky »

One can only pray that the other vehicle was loaded with tortilla chips...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Or crackers.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Big Ass (tm) canned hams...
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

Or rye toast with a side of gherkins - and one must crash a beer truck into the hot cheese in order to make proper Welsh Rarebit....
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

I'm glad it's almost lunch time.
I wonder whats on the menu...
Certainly something with cheese.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

jwhouk wrote:Or crackers.
No, that would have been if it were a truckload of truckles of Wensleydale, Gromit.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

I wish i could afford Stilton.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Fairportfan wrote:I wish i could afford Stilton.
No joke.

I do find it hilarious that Stilton can' t make it' s namesake cheese due to PDO, which is why Wensleydale Creamery is trying to get one, because currently anyone can make it, even if it is not using the same milk blends, etc.

Personally, having tasted both off- brand, and authentic Wensleydale, there are things I like about both. The true Wensleydale is sharp and honeyed, I can see it going well with a pie, and the fruits they used in the off- brands Autumn harvest made it a good pair with a textured whole grain cracker. I would LOVE to get the Wallace & Gromit labeled one for my wee one for kicks, but currently he is content to have good cheese. It' s the kind of stuff I don't mind "wasting" my money on, because quite frankly, his expression eating it while watching said flicks was too priceless.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

--Safyr Drathmir
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

The two times i went to England for Fairport's Cropredy Festival (1990 and '92) the tour group i was with was booked into a London hotel for a couple days before heading to Oxford.

Every morning i left the hotel breakfast with a hunk of Stilton in one hand and an apple in the other, taking alternate bites...
=====================
=====================
mike weber
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Fairportfan wrote:The two times i went to England for Fairport's Cropredy Festival (1990 and '92) the tour group i was with was booked into a London hotel for a couple days before heading to Oxford.

Every morning i left the hotel breakfast with a hunk of Stilton in one hand and an apple in the other, taking alternate bites...
I am thoroughly jealous now. I paid a fair penny recently for Autumn Harvest Wensleydale that I lucked out finding locally.

To have it in England? Heaven.

--Safyr Drathmir
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

can you imagine the phone call to the insurance agent? ""um, yes I'd like to report a claim... yes my delivery truck caught fire, a total loss... no, the police report shows that it was not due to improper storage of any possible hazardous chemicals, there were none on board the truck... um, well cheese... yes... yes you heard me correctly, cheese... [sigh]... YES... it's That one you heard about on the telly... look, can you just stop laughing long enough to file my claim!? i need to get a new truck and, um, well... and some more cheese to finish my delivery quota...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

scantrontb wrote:can you imagine the phone call to the insurance agent? ""um, yes I'd like to report a claim... yes my delivery truck caught fire, a total loss... no, the police report shows that it was not due to improper storage of any possible hazardous chemicals, there were none on board the truck... um, well cheese... yes... yes you heard me correctly, cheese... [sigh]... YES... it's That one you heard about on the telly... look, can you just stop laughing long enough to file my claim!? i need to get a new truck and, um, well... and some more cheese to finish my delivery quota...

It would be at that point that the owner of the truck would be thoroughly 'Cheesed Off'

(Drops a copy of Mystery Men in the pun jar)
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Oh gouda; here come the puns. Others may be fondue of all this cheez whiz-ardry, but I simply camembert it.

*drops a brick of white cheddar into the Pun Jar*
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
Dave

Post by Dave »

My friend, you clearly have a stiltoned sense of humor. You really should loosen up a bit, and I'm syr you would feel better. Pule yourself a beer, kick back and relax and enjoy the sights... Euryale and her sisters are due to arrive soon. Gorgons, oooh la!
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

scantrontb wrote:can you imagine the phone call to the insurance agent? ""um, yes I'd like to report a claim... yes my delivery truck caught fire, a total loss... no, the police report shows that it was not due to improper storage of any possible hazardous chemicals, there were none on board the truck... um, well cheese... yes... yes you heard me correctly, cheese... [sigh]... YES... it's That one you heard about on the telly... look, can you just stop laughing long enough to file my claim!? i need to get a new truck and, um, well... and some more cheese to finish my delivery quota...
Where's Bob Newhart when we need him?

=====================
=====================
mike weber
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Dave wrote:My friend, you clearly have a stiltoned sense of humor. You really should loosen up a bit, and I'm syr you would feel better. Pule yourself a beer, kick back and relax and enjoy the sights... Euryale and her sisters are due to arrive soon. Gorgons, oooh la!
Behold, the power of cheese.

*Puts in a copy of Rescue Rangers into the pun vault*

--Safyr Drathmir
alj_ws

Post by alj_ws »

There is also the question of smell.
I know from experience that a single loaf of hard cheese (munster) left in hot conditions can make a car unusable for a month and a lingering smell for a year.
The mind boggles on a full truckload which took fire. You probably need chemical warfare suit, including oxygen, to go in that tunnel.
Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.
Oscar Wilde