Pecking Order 2012-08-14

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Chris

Re: Pecking Order 2012-08-14

Post by Chris »

You "Keep" what you kill.
themadkansan

Post by themadkansan »

Wapsi wrote:I had a post up in response to someone who had said they were done and fed up with my comic, yet had come back only to gripe and complain. I since deleted those posts as they were not on topic. Here is what I had written.

"Not all Apos are male. Not all sphixes without wings are male. I would've thought that it was obvious that the sphinx Phix killed was a jealous female rival. Yes, the sphinx that is dead IS female. But honestly, if I knew it would've pissed someone off who already has a bug up their butt about turning the tables on men, who have clearly had the long history of treating women the way that I show men treated in my comic, I probably would have made the sphinx male."
Aha. Okie, maketh sense nao. Fank oo verymuches Mr. Cartoonist Sir. :mrgreen:
Bathorys Daughter

Post by Bathorys Daughter »

Wapsi wrote:turning the tables on men, who have clearly had the long history of treating women the way that I show men treated in my comic
As a point of clarification, does that mean you deliberately show men being treated horribly in your comic for that very reason? If so, you might want to reconsider that as a justification in your art. I've seen many vile things women/feminists have said about men, using that same "reasoning." I mean some really ugly (sometimes murderous) filth.
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Looking forward to the Friday Cliffhanger (tm), may I predict:

Phix, tired, sore, and covered in remnants of battle, trudges to her room to tidy up and sort out her feelings. On the table is a hand-written note in an envelope marked for her.
  • Dear Phix,

When things settle down and you're feeling better, I do hope you'll be able to stop by for tea and a hug.

Monica

And nobody bit on my Merlin reference. :( Hmmm....
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

OK... so now I know that chip-on-her-now-empty-shoulders is/was a female apos Sphinx, that the bloodline situation for Shelly was engineered by the critter that proved to be her maternal unit, that Phix has a deadly right hook that turns a titan into a projectile (armor and masonry piercing at that), that Eureal (sp?) can still freeze you by accident and enjoys doing the restoration thing to other females as in involves oral-on-oral with a girl who can do push-ups with her tongue... but...
.... I have one question...
....for Phix...
"Do you want fries with that?"
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Wapsi
Site Admin

Post by Wapsi »

Yeah, I debated about the posts, but honestly, the guy only shows up to say how much he hates the comic and my "agenda" to slaughter males at the hands of females. Also, the last time he "left", he said he wasn't coming back.

@Bathorys Daughter, *hugs* =)
Wapsi
Site Admin

Post by Wapsi »

Bathorys Daughter wrote:
Wapsi wrote:turning the tables on men, who have clearly had the long history of treating women the way that I show men treated in my comic
As a point of clarification, does that mean you deliberately show men being treated horribly in your comic for that very reason? If so, you might want to reconsider that as a justification in your art. I've seen many vile things women/feminists have said about men, using that same "reasoning." I mean some really ugly (sometimes murderous) filth.
No, that is not the reason I do things the way I do in my comic, that was just a spiteful comment.
Bathorys Daughter

Wapsi wrote:No, that is not the reason I do things the way I do in my comic, that was just a spiteful comment.
Oh, ok, I'm glad to hear that. Sorry if I offended you. I can get a bit too nosy for my own good sometimes :D
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.
Wapsi
Site Admin

Post by Wapsi »

No offense taken. =)
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Wapsi wrote:But honestly, if I knew it would've pissed someone off who already has a bug up their butt about turning the tables on men, who have clearly had the long history of treating women the way that I show men treated in my comic, I probably would have made the sphinx male."
Actually, in his defense, He-Who-Shall-Be-Nameless does not, apparently have that kind of history himself - if his comments in other fora on his background are to be believed, he was apparently severely abused by his mother and her live-in girlfriend(s).

I.e., he's pretty messed-up on gender and trust issues, and apparently sees the male characters as some sort of surrogates of himself.

Still a jerk, though.

Being a jerk transcends unpleasant backgrounds.

EDIT to add:

First encountered him on the old GoComics comments board for Pibgorn. He came across like a jerk there. More recently, here.

I said something about how a particular Wapsi page reminded me of Pibgorn, and his response was that he didn't care for that comic or the "arrogant blowhard" who produced it.

More recently, i've been encountering him on the ComfyCouchofConfusion ver 2, the spiritual successor to the now-removed Pibgorn comment board at GoComics.

Under a different name.

Still a jerk.

I just checked the roster over there, and he seems to no longer be on it, for whatever reason.
Last edited by Fairportfan on Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Bathorys Daughter wrote:
Wapsi wrote:I'm glad now you didn't make the "prey" male though since that would have given him justification, in his mind anyway, for what he spouted. At least I'm assuming he is male. I could be wrong about that just as I was about the Apo Phix killed.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

I thought it was a gynosphinx.

I SAID it was a gynosphinx.

But many others said "No, no, silly boy - those are pectoral muscles."

Nyah nyah.
=====================
=====================
mike weber
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

Julie wrote:
Rape isn't only performed by men on women. That's just the most common version that people hear (and others don't accept the rape of men as real because they can't imagine a woman overpowering a man and getting him to perform).
THANK you! I wondered if any of this usually observant group was gonna twig on that. Although I suspect it was more "She chased him until he caught her" - might not have been more than mild coercion.
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Fairportfan wrote:I thought it was a gynosphinx.

Nyah nyah.

Ok Fairportfan, I think you made your fair point :twisted:
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
BallBearingMousetrap

Post by BallBearingMousetrap »

Just wanted to say thanks for the clarifications.

And "Illegitimus non carborundum".
Julie

Post by Julie »

NOTDilbert wrote:
Julie wrote:
Rape isn't only performed by men on women. That's just the most common version that people hear (and others don't accept the rape of men as real because they can't imagine a woman overpowering a man and getting him to perform).
THANK you! I wondered if any of this usually observant group was gonna twig on that. Although I suspect it was more "She chased him until he caught her" - might not have been more than mild coercion.
You're welcome. I know a guy who was raped, so I tend to be a little more sensitive to that "option."
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Bathorys Daughter

Fairportfan wrote:I thought it was a gynosphinx.

Nyah nyah.
Congratulations on calling it!
Julie

Post by Julie »

Soooo a set of questions that have been tickling my brain for the past couple of days... If Phix killed (and is eating) an Apo, how does she move up the pecking order? Wouldn't this situation imply that she killed the beastie who ranked lower than she did? Who gets knocked down the ranks in honor of Phix making a kill? Obviously not the sphinx who died...she's gone. :? Anyone have any ideas?
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Dave11

Post by Dave11 »

Julie wrote:Soooo a set of questions that have been tickling my brain for the past couple of days... If Phix killed (and is eating) an Apo, how does she move up the pecking order? Wouldn't this situation imply that she killed the beastie who ranked lower than she did? Who gets knocked down the ranks in honor of Phix making a kill? Obviously not the sphinx who died...she's gone. :? Anyone have any ideas?
I think the implication was that the now-dead sphinx was of a higher rank in the pecking order. As someone said earlier, Klingon Promotion.
Eagerly anticipating the Pun Jar singularity event...

Forget the Plot Flour...we're into Plot Cornstarch, and the plot has gone non-newtonian...

"To the Journey!"
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

One suspects that, in this case, the pecking order is somewhat analogous to the food chain.
=====================
=====================
mike weber