More Stuff

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Alkarii

Re: More Stuff

Post by Alkarii »

Yup. I guess I won't be present for the burial. I'm usually the one to bury everything. On our current property, I'm up to the low twenties when it comes to burials.

When my cat dies, he's gonna be the last pet I have for a while, hopefully. I need a rest from this sort of thing.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

As it turns out, I was the only person to do any digging, because my dad wasn't feeling good and my mom didn't know where any of the animals were buried.

On a completely unrelated note, my brother's been trying for the past few weeks to get a friend he's known since at least high school to come out to his place for a visit while I'm over there. Apparently, she's a really sweet girl, but every guy she's gotten with turned out to be a total douchebag and would get verbally abusive with her.

From what I've seen on Facebook, it seems like we could get along quite well, if we meet.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Just be careful . . . if it's a really consistent pattern,there may be more to it.

--FreeFlier
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Yeah, my intention was to go slow, so we could get to know each other better. That way, I could be careful and watch out for any red flags.

However, given that one of her jobs is bartending, I'm wondering if the guys she's dated were also patrons who made a move. Though, really, I also don't think I should ask, and probably just let her tell me of her own accord.

This is all assuming that she takes that strong of a liking to me, of course, on top of whether or not I even notice.

Edit: I should probably also mention that my expectations are pretty low. I expect her to just somehow never have the time to meet me, and even if she did, she probably wouldn't think I'm interesting enough anyway.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Just saw this bumper sticker, last week:
"Yes, officer, I did see the speed limit sign. I just didn't see you."

Right below that, was this one:
"My driving scares me too"
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Well, I think I managed to avoid some awkward and uncomfortable situations. My brother had outright refused to introduce me to that lady the week before, while I was on vacation, and that I should just go to the bar where she works. His wife and I both explained to him that if I went alone, I'd look like a stalker.

After his refusal, I started wondering if the issue was that he wasn't willing to stick his neck out and risk losing face in case it went poorly, like one or both of us wouldn't actually like the other.

Well, over the weekend, he told me she's already got another boyfriend, but he doesn't foresee it lasting very long. I felt relieved that she was already with someone, so I don't have to bother, and given that my brother thinks it isn't going to last long, I can just say "pass", because I doubt that I'd do very well, given my lack of experience.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Actually, this might be a good time to meet her . . . no pressure, and if her current relationship doesn't last, you're already known.

--FreeFlier
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

My brother told me she's already broken up with the guy. I tried suggesting that we go play pool at the pizza bar where she works (regardless of whether or not she was working), but my brother said she was off over the weekend. I don't know about this coming weekend, and I'm pretty sure the one next weekend will be out of the question.

On Sunday, we went out to eat for my sister in law's birthday, and it seems I am no longer able to handle the noise of the other customers at a restaurant, so I'll have to get ahold of some of those electronic earplugs that reduces everything to a volume I find comfortable if I'm gonna meet this lady (or any lady) in a public place.

I'm thinking I should take a break from going up to my brother's for a couple weeks, though. I've been going up there almost every weekend since the end of June, and lately my depression has been a bit on the heavy side. It was so bad that during the previous weekend, I ended up going home that Sunday night without telling anyone (I usually leave on Monday). It doesn't help that whenever I suggest anything to do for entertainment, nobody is up for it.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Yeah... I've lost interest in meeting that lady my brother knows. I asked him over the weekend to send her a message to ask when she'd be available to hang out with us, and his response was to once again point out that she's a really busy person. If she's too busy to receive a message about her availability, which she could answer at her own leisure, then she won't have any time to associate with me in any capacity.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Ummm . . . I hate to be the one to say this, but her existence is unproven . . .

--FreeFlier
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

To you, but she's friends with my brother on Facebook, and I've seen a video clip she sent to him. She was letting him hear some music she had, which had the children's rhyme from the Nightmare on Elm Street franchise ("One, two, Freddy's coming for you~"). So yeah, she's a real person, and what I was able to see on Facebook lines up with her having two jobs.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Slowly catching up on my Whiteboard comic reading... and I come upon this master of the understatement:

https://www.the-whiteboard.com/autotwb-holmes12.html

(It's part of a Sherlock Holmes story with the cast of WB)...

Yeah... wouldn't want to jump to conclusions, now, would we... :roll: :lol:
Dave

Post by Dave »

lake_wrangler wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 3:26 pm Yeah... wouldn't want to jump to conclusions, now, would we... :roll: :lol:
Hee, hee...

Reminds me somewhat of a bit from the Harvard Lampoon's "Bored Of The Rings" parody, in which it was mentioned that one of the last kings of Twodor had died in what was described as a tragic accident. He apparently fell backwards onto a collection of about half a dozen large salad forks.

After several of the heirs also died accidentally (one drowned in a soup tureen, another choked on a pot roast, and I think there were a few cases of fatal food poisoning) there was no one in the royal family willing to take the throne. The burden of governing was eventually taken up by a serving-man from the kitchen staff, who was thereafter known as the Steward of Twodor.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

In light of recent reminders that I'm just not that important to anyone in my family except when they need my money or don't want to do something themselves, I've decided that I'm not participating in Christmas next year, and I'm going to have to find some way to not be at home or where anyone can find me easily (my birthday is one week before Christmas).

It just isn't worth the stress, time, or energy to even bother asking anything of anyone.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

It is the unfortunate way of such family disintegrations that the last person to stop even trying to hold it together is usually the one whom everyone blames for it falling apart.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Alkarii wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 2:06 am In light of recent reminders that I'm just not that important to anyone in my family except when they need my money or don't want to do something themselves, I've decided that I'm not participating in Christmas next year, and I'm going to have to find some way to not be at home or where anyone can find me easily (my birthday is one week before Christmas).

It just isn't worth the stress, time, or energy to even bother asking anything of anyone.
As the old saying goes... there's the family you're born into, and then there's the family that you choose. They're sometimes very different.

May you find a family worth belonging to.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

I should clarify (because a simple edit to put in what I forgot would be unnoticed unless I point it out):

I meant to say that I would like to get away from everyone on both Christmas and my birthday.

As far as holding the family together goes... I doubt it's me. My brother and sister (both older) have moved out a long time ago. My brother has been with his wife's family since shortly after his first marriage fell apart, and my sister has her own house and four kids... Divorced as well, but never remarried. She's really unpleasant. My brother and his wife seem to be the only people with whom I currently have anything resembling a healthy relationship, probably due in large part to us playing D&D for months.

I'm intending to try a dating site or something, because I feel like if I can find someone looking to build the same sort of relationship and life as me, and she's got a full-time job, we'd certainly be able to get a place of our own, and be better off than my family had been when I was a kid. (I think I'm making more than either of my parents ever did without having to work two jobs.)
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Alkarii wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:40 pm As far as holding the family together goes... I doubt it's me.
If you're the last person to stop trying, then you probably deserve less of the blame for the disintegration than anyone else... but you'll still probably get most of the blame.
I think I'm making more than either of my parents ever did without having to work two jobs.
Quite plausible - the trick is, does it remain true after adjusting for inflation?
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

I don't know how much the adjustment is, but given that it wasn't until a few years ago that they made more than $50k together (and now I'm wondering if they were just shy of that with two full time jobs), and at my current rate, my gross income is just shy of $36k... Not sure if inflation has been that much, though.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Happy New year, everyone! Health and prosperity to all!