We have until about Christmas before new material, Where's the portal to the coffeehouse?

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
jwhouk

Re: We have until about Christmas before new material, Where's the portal to the coffeehouse?

Post by jwhouk »

Hey all. Got the cake right here. Don’t think we can light 55 candles, as I don’t trust the sprinklers.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
jwhouk

Re: We have until about Christmas before new material, Where's the portal to the coffeehouse?

Post by jwhouk »

I got a perverse satisfaction of being able to legitimately order off the Senior Menu at Denny's tonight. :D
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

I have that at most places . . . getting old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

jwhouk wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:32 pm I got a perverse satisfaction of being able to legitimately order off the Senior Menu at Denny's tonight. :D
... youngling... I will be 70 in two years. I boldly ask, "Is there an 'OLD FOGY' discount here? I'm a government certified 'OLD FOGY!". If that don't work, I ask about a military discount and show my VA card.

My youngest boy and I can still remove and replace a VW bug engine by ourselves without a hoist, and I still do military style PT every morning. All-in-all, life is pretty sweet right now...
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

FreeFlier wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:17 pm I have that at most places . . . getting old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
Having "sampled" the alternative a few times (I have a frequent customer loyalty card for Charon's Ferry) I can vouch that being old beats being dead. When it doesn't I will stay dead if I can. I've been told while I was dead that I'm unkillable and I won't stay dead, but I think they might have been teasing me while they put another punch in the loyalty card. I only have to die 6 more times to get a spa day at the Elysian Fields Resort. Maybe that's when I decide to stay dead.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Pit boss, a serving of brisket and a side of that tater salad if you would. I've been doing a bunch of travelling (on Earth this time) and I've developed quite an appetite.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Between allergies and cataracts life has been a hazy blur for me most of this week. In fact I'm having to take frequent pauses to see what I'm typing because of the eye goop wandering across my corneas, but I manage. Tina could I trouble you for an Irish Breakfast with 2 1/2 sugars and a bear claw? I have to make another beer run to my customers on Ceres and the orbital mechanics are going to be a bear to calculate this trip.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

I hear you on the allergies . . . . according to the air quality maps we had some of the worst air in the world for the last few weeks.

Today the weather broke and we got the first measurable precipitation since June . . . it's raining now, and this half of the state is back in the green, with some yellow in the other side. for like a month there was this purple blob in the middle of the state . . .

And I'm allergic to smoke.

--FreeFlier
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Sgt. Howard wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:01 am
jwhouk wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:32 pm I got a perverse satisfaction of being able to legitimately order off the Senior Menu at Denny's tonight. :D
... youngling... I will be 70 in two years. I boldly ask, "Is there an 'OLD FOGY' discount here? I'm a government certified 'OLD FOGY!". If that don't work, I ask about a military discount and show my VA card
Young punk.

Tomorrow is my 74th birthday...
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

Opus the Poet wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:24 pm I have to make another beer run to my customers on Ceres and the orbital mechanics are going to be a bear to calculate this trip.
WHen are you going to get one of those Orion hotties to clean up your damn navigational computer for you? You have the CPU/memory., sensors and all - heck, our stuff is better than theirs. It's the software letting you down.

Let's face it - if there's anything the Orions understand it's orbital mechanics (and docking maneuvers, nudge, nudge, wink, wink).

Your situation is the ideal test bed for software updates - set up a tell-me-three-times rig and you can try new configurations safely and rake in the bucks doing it.
Last edited by Just Old Al on Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Al... You probably don't want to learn what docking means in a sexual context...
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
Opus the Poet

Re: We have until around Christmas before new material, Where's the portal to the coffeehouse?

Post by Opus the Poet »

Actually if Ceres was just floating out there all by its lonesome I could probably do the calculations on my phone. :twisted: But every so often there are a bunch of stuff that gets "in the way" of the direct approach and I think this is one of those times. Ceres' eccentricity and the other bodies' eccentricity are just lining up wrong for a quick-and-dirty orbital insertion and I'll either have to come way out of the ecliptic or go eccentric and out past the orbit and back in, or some from column A and some from column B.
lake_wrangler

Re: We have until around Christmas before new material, Where's the portal to the coffeehouse?

Post by lake_wrangler »

Opus the Poet wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 2:16 amI'll either have to ... go eccentric ...
And then you wonder why people give you odd looks... :mrgreen:

Deposits a copy of Alice in Wonderland/Through the Looking Glass into the pun jar (seeing as it was the first book at the top of the list of eccentric books on Goodreads when I looked...)
2022-10-23_21-41.png
2022-10-23_21-41.png (88.18 KiB) Viewed 10209 times
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

Alkarii wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:15 am Al... You probably don't want to learn what docking means in a sexual context...
This ain't my first rodeo, son.... :)

More seriously, I was well aware of that meaning and was simply being crass.
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

Opus the Poet wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 2:16 am But every so often there are a bunch of stuff that gets "in the way" of the direct approach
It is rather like trying to hook up at a cocktail party with the most desirable target of your affections.

Invariably, there will be interference with your approach, but one must deal with these things... :)

Yes, I am being a silly fool.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Just Old Al wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:16 pmYes, I am being a silly fool.
The Redundancy Department of Redundancy would like to point out that there is pretty much no other kind of fool... :mrgreen:
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

lake_wrangler wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:01 am
The Redundancy Department of Redundancy would like to point out that there is pretty much no other kind of fool... :mrgreen:
Nope, there are old fools, obstinate fools, stubborn fools (not the same thing)...
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Opus the Poet wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:02 pm
lake_wrangler wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:01 am
Nope, there are old fools, obstinate fools, stubborn fools (not the same thing)...
Silly fools are much more tolerable than the other kinds.

Especially if they accept that they're silly.

--FreeFlier
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Fools that know they are silly are much easier to deal with than any of the ones I listed. The major problem is most fools don't think they are, the Dunning-Kruger effect. Same as most (like 75-80%) of drivers declare their driving as "above average to exceptional".
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

I knew of three different drivers whose approach to an OIL light was . . . to put a piece of black tape over it.

Two of the three achieved the predictable result . . . one loaned the car to someone who went digging on realizing the OIL light wasn't coming on . . .

--FreeFlier