Officially Recognized 2013-01-02

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
jwhouk

Re: Officially Recognized 2013-01-02

Post by jwhouk »

"Your new user card will be mailed to you in three weeks, relative time frame Earth-Alpha-57. Checkout privileges are now for two weeks Library time, instead of ten days. For conversion chart to your time frame, please see the head librarian."
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
CraigR

Post by CraigR »

Jürgen A. Erhard wrote:Isn't friggin a minced oath of fuckin? So... why mince one and not both? And thus M is saying "What the fuckin' fuck was that". I'd prefer that one.
Not Safe For Work
Demonstrating the diversity of the word.
Aleister Crow

Post by Aleister Crow »

I don't think it was the probe that caused the current manifestation of the fangs. If you look closely at the first panel, you can kind of see them there too.

Either someone is going to have to teach her how to hide those new steak-rippers, or she'd better have a good cover story when she gets back to Earth.
Whoever coined the phrase "more fun than a barrel of monkeys" obviously never spent an afternoon cramming the little buggers into one.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Yamara wrote:
sonicthunder wrote:After all, a brain could otherwise be considered a record, and if the Library could keep an indestructible copy of any brain in existence, it would be considered a very different place.
"Donna Noble has been saved."
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
donoho

Post by donoho »

CraigR wrote:
Jürgen A. Erhard wrote:Isn't friggin a minced oath of fuckin? So... why mince one and not both? And thus M is saying "What the fuckin' fuck was that". I'd prefer that one.
Not Safe For Work
That's the beauty of the word, it derivatives and alternates. If words were weapons, this would be the most versatile of all. Able to bludgen & bash like a mace, cleave and render like a broadsword, parry and pierce like a halberd, tap & sting like a fencing foil... the list goes on.

My appreciation of Monica's expletives is second only to Susie's.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Julie wrote:
Ohnhai wrote:LEVEL UP !!
Yeah...I was wondering what level up music played in Panel 2. :) Was it the "Mario eats mushroom" sound? Or was it more of the percussive/aggressive Skyrim level up sound? :P
Nah - it was the "Blue Star" riff from Galaxina.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

CraigR wrote:Not Safe For Work
Ah, yes - The Universal Adjective.

Also very very NSFW - even if it is "censored".
=====================
=====================
mike weber
donoho

Post by donoho »

Fairportfan wrote:
CraigR wrote:Not Safe For Work
Ah, yes - The Universal Adjective.

Also very very NSFW - even if it is "censored".
Another variation on a Classic.

NSFW if someone's reading over your shoulder...

Point is, the word has been used proficiently and eloquently, expressing everything is should and nothing more.

Pablo is one Cunning Fucking Linguist.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Aleister Crow wrote:I don't think it was the probe that caused the current manifestation of the fangs. If you look closely at the first panel, you can kind of see them there too.

Either someone is going to have to teach her how to hide those new steak-rippers, or she'd better have a good cover story when she gets back to Earth.
Yeah, I think the fangs show that she's achieved the final requirement for truly being a Jaguar Woman... she's out of denial and has acknowledged her own power and the danger it presents.

As to what the fangs will mean in her mundane publc life... these days, you can explain almost any quirky physical appearance by saying "cosmetic surgery" and claiming that it's the next big trend.

In Monica's case she could claim that she's decided to lose weight by going on the new paleo-Atkins diet. No carbs, few vegetables, mostly meat... and you get your aerobic exercise by bringing down your prey personally. 8-)
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Dave wrote: In Monica's case she could claim that she's decided to lose weight by going on the new paleo-Atkins diet. No carbs, few vegetables, mostly meat... and you get your aerobic exercise by bringing down your prey personally. 8-)
But does she need fangs for taking down Moby Custard?????
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
RunningBull

Post by RunningBull »

I'm not sure I understand the whole "metamorphosis" part, Monica has been in the library before since fixing the calendar machine and nothing like this was mentioned by the library. Wasn't she there when Phix knocked Bia outside and totally lost it? A metamorphosis means something is changing, not that it has changed. I don't know, just feel like I'm missing something.
"You're not going crazy! You're going sane in a crazy world!"
- The Tick
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

RunningBull wrote:I'm not sure I understand the whole "metamorphosis" part, Monica has been in the library before since fixing the calendar machine and nothing like this was mentioned by the library. Wasn't she there when Phix knocked Bia outside and totally lost it? A metamorphosis means something is changing, not that it has changed. I don't know, just feel like I'm missing something.
You are looking from the wrong angle. The metamorphosis happened well after she had the spike placed. She may have been slowly changing all this time until she was frozen on the beach by Euryale and killed by Bud, that started the metamorphosis into her full power. (The library may have waited until this time to do a scan to give Monica a little sticky reminder of what happened so she does not log it into her memory as a bad dream and go back into denial mode(I would think that she, the library, is rather intelligent being after-all)
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Fairportfan wrote:
Julie wrote:
Yeah...I was wondering what level up music played in Panel 2. :) Was it the "Mario eats mushroom" sound? Or was it more of the percussive/aggressive Skyrim level up sound? :P
I'm thinking the Item Pickup Music http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I67v_OaB3k8 from Super Metroid.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Mark N wrote:
RunningBull wrote:I'm not sure I understand the whole "metamorphosis" part, Monica has been in the library before since fixing the calendar machine and nothing like this was mentioned by the library. Wasn't she there when Phix knocked Bia outside and totally lost it? A metamorphosis means something is changing, not that it has changed. I don't know, just feel like I'm missing something.
You are looking from the wrong angle. The metamorphosis happened well after she had the spike placed. She may have been slowly changing all this time until she was frozen on the beach by Euryale and killed by Bud, that started the metamorphosis into her full power. (The library may have waited until this time to do a scan to give Monica a little sticky reminder of what happened so she does not log it into her memory as a bad dream and go back into denial mode(I would think that she, the library, is rather intelligent being after-all)
Better bet is each time she has DIED she has been changed a bit at every resurection. The body revuild has to have caused some changes if only to further accustom the body to the energy being used. Since she doesn't die that often it's taken time. I thin the being frozen don't count as she got thawed out before the revival took effect.

As tot he library finally see it M has not spent a lot of time inthe library lately, for many reasons. That last resurection is what probably triggered the full assuption of her power so the library could react to it.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

After the little episode when Bud ripped her heart out, she had not as of yet returned to the library.

Ergo, Bibliothiki had not determined the "change of status" to Entity Villareal until just now.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Fairportfan wrote:
Julie wrote:
I'm a fan of the Fallout level-ups, personally. The minimalism of the original & number 2, the drama of Fallout 3...but for Mon, I think Fallout: New Vegas will do.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
Jürgen A. Erhard

Post by Jürgen A. Erhard »

The timing re M's "Kafka experience" is still interesting.

Yup, this was the first time she has been to the Library since Flame On! and the ensuing open heart surgery.

But: why did the Bibliothiki wait until *now*. She's been in the Library for hours!

Our favorite Libby did wait. Why?

(Throws a copy of "Watch Your F*cking Language" in the maw of the Pun Vault from a safe distance)
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

zachariah wrote:
themadkansan wrote:...M expresses fangs now. Interesting. :)
Well the cat is out of the bag, so to speak. It's offical now.
Is this another cat of nine tales, then?

Drops a silk bag into the pun jar.

+++++

BTW, has anybody noticed (or commented on) the fact that the Bibliotheke probe in panel two hit her in the possibly non-existent dagger?
Dave

Post by Dave »

Jürgen A. Erhard wrote:But: why did the Bibliothiki wait until *now*. She's been in the Library for hours!

Our favorite Libby did wait. Why?
Several possibilities come to mind.

Possibly, the "metamorphosis" that the Library is detecting, wasn't actually complete until now... until she awoke or shortly before. As noted by others up above, Monica was not displaying fangs consistently up until this point... she showed a flash of them in the moment of rage after she poited Nudge into the volcano, but they disappeared after that. They were not visible during her "I'm a murderer" breakdown in the Library with Phix and Euryale and Tsillah (or after Nudge was chipped out of the lava). Her fangs are visible in all three frames today, which suggests that they may now have fully "grown in".

Another possibility is that the Library is... well, a library! Libraries are places of peace and quiet. It may be contrary to the Library's polite nature (or programming) to rudely awaken a sleeping sub-Titan with an abrupt brainal probing. Instead, it politely waited until she was awake, and then gave her its own version of a three-espresso jolt.

(Would that be like waving a Red Bull in front of a flag?)

My guess is that it's probably both of these. I don't think Monica truly achieved her new status until the recent pyroclastic psychodrama forced her to accept the magnitude of her own power, and she had time to process and integrate the experience to at least some extent (that is, a good night's sleep).
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

Jabberwonky wrote:
KnightDelight wrote:The more I hear from the Library, the more it seems like a machine. I mean, energy probes? Detectors? It may have a degree of sentience, but it stills seems to be a machine.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
-- Arthur C. Clarke
"Any technology, no matter how primitive, is magic to those who don't understand it".
-- Florence Ambrose (Freefall)
Don't planto mihi adveho illac