"Hello, Department of Redundancy Department. Greetings"

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Fairportfan

"Hello, Department of Redundancy Department. Greetings"

Post by Fairportfan »

Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Mark N

Re: "Hello, Department of Redundancy Department. Greetings"

Post by Mark N »

Great, smart cars for dumb people. What a future.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

I just like the "announcing that they're gonna announce"...
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

They're holding up a picture of the trial balloon they might fly...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

They're just letting the world know they're going to run a flag up the pole & see who salutes.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
ShneekeyTheLost

Post by ShneekeyTheLost »

Well, the article itself is a bit more sobering. How long until our cars say "I'm sorry Dave, I can't let you do that..."
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

ShneekeyTheLost wrote:Well, the article itself is a bit more sobering. How long until our cars say "I'm sorry Dave, I can't let you do that..."
Already done that, in current and past Jarrod Jewelry ads.....
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

ShneekeyTheLost wrote:Well, the article itself is a bit more sobering. How long until our cars say "I'm sorry Dave, I can't let you do that..."
It is, but I'm not a fan of these slippery-slope arguments. They make for good thought experiments, but I'm pretty sure cars won't ever be programmed to decide to turn right just because they don't want to turn left.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
ShneekeyTheLost

Post by ShneekeyTheLost »

MerchManDan wrote:
It is, but I'm not a fan of these slippery-slope arguments. They make for good thought experiments, but I'm pretty sure cars won't ever be programmed to decide to turn right just because they don't want to turn left.
I'm not worried about intentional programming so much as buggy code or faulty sensors. Imagine, for example, if the OS for your car was written by Microsoft, and having a BSoD at highway speeds...
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Ah, okay. That would definitely be cause for concern.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

ShneekeyTheLost wrote:
MerchManDan wrote:
I'm not worried about intentional programming so much as buggy code or faulty sensors. Imagine, for example, if the OS for your car was written by Microsoft, and having a BSoD at highway speeds...
Funny enough to think of, but actually VERY dangerous! The Atlantic Airbus crash in 2009 is one example. The aircraft had a speed sensor fail at altitude, and the co-pilot responded the the alarm by pulling Back on the stick (side mounted control, not the big kind) in response to an apparent over-speed. From there, the aircraft stalled at 30,000 feet, and eventually fluttered it's way down to a mere 60 knots, falling at just near stall speed. The programming turned off the stall alarm, thinking it was about to land, and automatically kept the aircraft reasonably centered and level. The senior pilot was pushing Forward on the stick (not seeing the co-pilot's stick position), trying to get the nose down and speed back up, but the aircraft had already decided it was landing (thanks to the co-pilot's stick position) and ignored him. Result? Splat.

Ditto the 1988 Airbus crash at the Paris Air Show. The pilot did a low-and-slow pass, requiring the nose be held high to keep flying. However, when he tried to add power to pull up and away, the computer said "no, we're landing, dammit!" and blocked the throttles from advancing.

It's a design philosophy. Boeing designs the control systems to be overruled by the pilots. Airbus trusts HAL.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
chibichibi01

Post by chibichibi01 »

ShneekeyTheLost wrote:
MerchManDan wrote:
nut just that, but if the map hasn't been updated? Then you're flying through a construction site, or off the road when it thinks you're on.

I know my GPS sometimes has this issue and it's been updated just recently, where it will say I'm off road on the Interstate, and were I to be ten feet to the left like it wants me to be I'd be driving on the wrong side of the road!
ImageImage