Can the Pistorius case get any weirder?

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Fairportfan

Can the Pistorius case get any weirder?

Post by Fairportfan »

The Pistorius case in South Africa continues to sprout new weirdnesses.

First there's the case itself, and his story, which just migh be weird enough to be true.

Then the chief police investigator appeared to admit to facts that potentially undercut an important witness' testimony.
The Week wrote:Prosecutors laying out their case against Pistorius on the second day of his bail hearing in Pretoria said they have a female witness who heard the shouting "between 2am and 3am", Sky News reports.

But under cross-examination the police officer leading the investigation said the witness's house is 600 metres from Pistorius's home, a revelation that caused gasps from the sprinter's relatives in the court room.
Then lead detective was taken off the case because he's facing seven charges of attempted murder himself.
The Guardian wrote:The prosecution of Oscar Pistorius has taken a dramatic turn after it emerged the detective leading the case is facing seven charges of attempted murder.

A spokesperson for the South African police service confirmed on Thursday morning that Hilton Botha and two other officers were accused of firing at a taxi carrying seven passengers during an allegedly drunken incident in 2011.
Then Pistorius's brother was due to go on trial for vehicular homicide, beginning the same day Pistorius was granted bond.
The Associated Press wrote:Carl Pistorius faces a charge of unlawful, negligent killing for a 2008 road death, ”in which a woman motorcyclist sadly lost her life,” Kenneth Oldwage, the Pistorius family lawyer said on Sunday.

The accident happened in Vanderbijlpark, south of Johannesburg.The charge of ”culpable homicide” was dropped and then reinstated and will be challenged in court, the lawyer told The Associated Press.
And now?

SAfrica: judge in Pistorius case suffers loss
CHRISTOPHER TORCHIA | Associated Press wrote:Last week, the judge who granted bail to Oscar Pistorius was in the international spotlight, presiding over dramatic hearings in a courtroom as the Olympic athlete sat in the dock charged with murdering his girlfriend. This week, the judge is in private mourning.

Desmond Nair, chief magistrate of the Pretoria Magistrate's Court, confirmed Tuesday that he is related to a woman suspected of killing her two children and committing suicide on the weekend.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
MerchManDan

Re: Can the Pistorius case get any weirder?

Post by MerchManDan »

Yikes. :shock: This probably could get weirder, but I'm not sure how.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Only way it could get weirder is if something happens to Pistorius before the trial.

Like, y'know, he comes up missing.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

The court system must be a little different in SA.

Like, here in the US, you have to assemble a jury with no prior knowledge of the case, right? So, then you bring in an accused murderer with no legs, and tell them he's an olympic track star? :shock:

They'd think somebody hired Tommy Flanagan to defend OJ.

And wait till we get to the police chase.
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
Julie

Post by Julie »

Typeminer wrote:The court system must be a little different in SA.

Like, here in the US, you have to assemble a jury with no prior knowledge of the case, right? So, then you bring in an accused murderer with no legs, and tell them he's an olympic track star? :shock:

If I remember correctly from what I saw on the news, there isn't a jury of peers who will try this case. It's going to be reviewed by three magistrates or something like that...
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

Julie wrote:
Typeminer wrote:The court system must be a little different in SA.

If I remember correctly from what I saw on the news, there isn't a jury of peers who will try this case. It's going to be reviewed by three magistrates or something like that...
That's because it would be too hard to find a group of citizens equally as crazy as this story is getting to have a jury of peers?