Tomorrow, this strip may be right on point...

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

TazManiac

Tomorrow, this strip may be right on point...

Post by TazManiac »

I hit the Random Button, as I'm wont to do, and came across this;

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/long-hot-shower/

If it turns out like I think, I'll relate the relevant...
TazManiac

Re: Tomorrow, this strip may be right on point...

Post by TazManiac »

Aaaaand. It's official- I am now job-less.

Weasel-y folks in other time zones didn't even have the heart/stones/class, whatever to prepare me that I might prepare; heard through the Grape Vine yesterday.

I got a whole bunch of research to get through now, what to apply for / how...
Dave

Post by Dave »

Damn... very sorry to hear that!

Companies vary a lot in how well they handle such situations. Some are gracious and supportive, others treat you like unwanted animals to be shooed off of the property.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Thx Dave. It was a situation that left much to be desired, the negative was outweighing the prestige of working at a top shelf financial 'beast', Downtown San Francisco.

I am most assuredly singed around the edges, not quite all the way burnt out.

Every day, since day one, was Sword of Damocles Day...
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

My former employer was usually pretty good about letting people go...

...and when not, it could be extremely abrupt.

I, one of the network administrators, was told to watch a certain doorway. And when certain upper-management people went through it, I was to immediately go to my desk and lock a certain lower-level accounting supervisor's access on all computer systems. In mid-morning.

I never saw that person in the office again. I also never learned the circumstances that led to this action, but as exceptional as it was I suspect there was some hanky-panky involved.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Condolences. Layoffs stink . . . especially when the company can't be bothered to comply with the contract.

We're supposed to get a 60-day WARN, and then a 14-day WARN . . . they gave us the legally required 60-day, and not the other. I got an hour-and-a-half notice that I was actully getting laid off . . . despite asking my boss the day before.

The union has grieved the whole mess, but that will take years to resolve.

I've also seen a case when they called a meeting to get everyone else out of the office so nobody would see a co-worker being taken out in handcuffs . . .

--FreeFlier
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

That sucks, Taz. Hope you can bounce back soon. I've been laid off or had jobs disappear out from under me more times than I could tell you offhand. I think this was the first big economic downturn when I didn't lose my job. And before that, I was expecting to be thrown overboard at the end of 2019, but they rethought the situation.

Life is complicated. And weird.
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

FreeFlier wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:17 pm I've also seen a case when they called a meeting to get everyone else out of the office so nobody would see a co-worker being taken out in handcuffs . . .
... also reduces the number of potential hostages...

(Hey, if the situation is bad enough that they're planning on handcuffs, they really should consider things like that. Probably 19 times out of 20 it won't matter - but think of it from the perspective of the 20th guy's hostage.)
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Warrl wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:25 pm
FreeFlier wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:17 pmI've also seen a case when they called a meeting to get everyone else out of the office so nobody would see a co-worker being taken out in handcuffs . . .

(Hey, if the situation is bad enough that they're planning on handcuffs, they really should consider things like that. Probably 19 times out of 20 it won't matter - but think of it from the perspective of the 20th guy's hostage.)
AFAIK it wasn't because there was a threat of violence . . . but it was some kind of major felony, committed on company property.

The guy who was stalking his estranged wife (in violation of a restraining order and corrective action memo) was grabbed at her desk and walked out in cuffs.

--FreeFlier
Last edited by FreeFlier on Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Warrl wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:25 pm
FreeFlier wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:17 pm I've also seen a case when they called a meeting to get everyone else out of the office so nobody would see a co-worker being taken out in handcuffs . . .

The following quote comes to mind:
...the quiet fellow in the office cubicle who one day just picks up a letter opener and carves his way through Cost Accounting and into forensic history...
Sir Terry Pratchett {more or less} - from Reaperman
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Well, the following tale doesn't in anyway involve the current situation, but some few decades back I was working a few floor's up from Market st., Downtown San Francisco, and we heard the reports so we all ran to the window (what an IDIOTIC thing to do!) and tried to see something...

All we were able to see was the SWAT team arriving, but it was a case where disgruntled client came back and shot up the Lawyer's office.

This was way before you couldn't get past a lobby without a badge/clearance...

I don't feel like that for this, but I do recall times when stuff went really bad on an otherwise normal day.