... and you thought YOUR parents were crazy ...

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Fairportfan

... and you thought YOUR parents were crazy ...

Post by Fairportfan »

Parents hit with stalking order after spying on daughter’s phone, computer
Mike Flacy/DigitalTrends wrote:Covered by ABC’s Good Morning America on Friday, an Ohio college student named Aubrey Ireland was recently granted a civil stalking order against her parents due to their overprotective behavior that included installing monitoring software on her electronics. According to AZ Central, the monitoring software on her smartphone would provide them with details about incoming and outgoing calls and a keylogger installed on the laptop could potentially keep track of things like instant message chat history, websites visited and login information to social networks like Facebook. In addition, Aubrey allegedly had to connect with her parents over Skype and leave the video stream constantly running to allow them to watch her sleep all night in the bedroom.
<snip>
Aubrey’s parents would allegedly travel approximately 600 miles from their home in Kansas to visit their daughter unannounced as well as meet with her department head at the school.
<snip>
According to the stipulations within the order, parents David and Julie Ireland must stay a minimum of 500 feet away from Aubrey until September 23, 2013. In addition, the school has hired security guards to help keep Aubrey’s parents away from her musical theater performances. Both parents could face criminal charges if they attempt to violate the protection order.
<snip>
However, her parents claim that she lied to the judge about their actions and they are attempting to get a refund from the school for the $66,000 spent on her college education.
<full story>

(emphasis mine)
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
chibichibi01

Re: ... and you thought YOUR parents were crazy ...

Post by chibichibi01 »

While i admit that it's over the top, her parents do have certain rights as the ones paying for her tuition.

They're batshit crazy though.
ImageImage
Leak

Post by Leak »

Ow. Just ow...
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Yeah, well, i did a little more reading:

Checking the AZCentral link in the article, i found out that she had been offered full scholarships from other schools, but it was her parents' idea for her to go to this school and they'd pay the freight.

That, i think, should have been her first warning.

Apparently, some of the things the other article sounds as if were part of the court order were before the order:
The parents became such an issue that the school hired security guards to keep them out of their daughter's performances. When the parents stopped paying her tuition because she'd cut off all contact with them, the school gave her a full scholarship for her final year.

The college senior decided to seek a civil stalking order to keep her parents away from her after they went to UC and told her college administrators they could seek to have her taken in for mental evaluations. That, the parents noted, "will attract a lot of publicity," according to court documents.
and then, at the end of the article, i like this part (emphasis added):
After an intervention failed when the mediators told the parents they, not their daughter, were the issue, the Irelands said their daughter was 'a good actor and lying.'

David Ireland is particularly worried for his daughter "because of my family history of mental health," noting he had three first cousins who committed suicide, according to court documents.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

Hey, if the cousins's parents were like him . . . well, you can see the problem here.
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Fairportfan wrote:David Ireland is particularly worried for his daughter "because of my family history of mental health," noting he had three first cousins who committed suicide, according to court documents.
I don't think, at this point, that he needed to emphasize to anyone involved that there was a history of mental health issues...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Julie

Post by Julie »

I remember seeing that on Good Morning America. I also remember thinking that my parents' protective and involved behavior seems so uninvolved and carefree when compared to this poor young woman.
chibichibi01 wrote:While i admit that it's over the top, her parents do have certain rights as the ones paying for her tuition.

Actually, they don't really have rights just because they were paying her tuition. I have never heard of parents having any kind of say over what their adult child does while at school if said child does not also live at home while attending classes. The ability to set rules for behavior typically ends at either the age of majority or when the child isn't living under their roof. My parents have been paying for my tuition to go back to school, but they have absolutely zero say in my life. *shrugs* In fact, even when I was typical college age, the extent of my parents' involvement in what I could and couldn't do at school was limited to my cell phone usage (which I had to start paying for when my bill exceeded $1K two months in a row) and my grades (I had to get loans and get a job to pay my own way when I failed a class until I got all A's for a semester...at which time my parents started paying my tuition again).
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Julie wrote:I remember seeing that on Good Morning America. I also remember thinking that my parents' protective and involved behavior seems so uninvolved and carefree when compared to this poor young woman.
chibichibi01 wrote:While i admit that it's over the top, her parents do have certain rights as the ones paying for her tuition.

Actually, they don't really have rights just because they were paying her tuition. I have never heard of parents having any kind of say over what their adult child does while at school if said child does not also live at home while attending classes. The ability to set rules for behavior typically ends at either the age of majority or when the child isn't living under their roof. My parents have been paying for my tuition to go back to school, but they have absolutely zero say in my life. *shrugs* In fact, even when I was typical college age, the extent of my parents' involvement in what I could and couldn't do at school was limited to my cell phone usage (which I had to start paying for when my bill exceeded $1K two months in a row) and my grades (I had to get loans and get a job to pay my own way when I failed a class until I got all A's for a semester...at which time my parents started paying my tuition again).
THIS! The only "right" a parent paying tuition has, is that if grades drop below a certain point, they can stop paying until the grades go up. I have discussed the grades dropping suddenly situation with an acquaintance recently, told her to talk to her son first, then if the answer is not a good one, stop paying until the grades go up. He went from all A' s to three fails by midterm, and tried to say all the professors hated him. The Deans are legally not allowed to discuss schooling with the parents at all, no matter the reason. She told him that if they weren' t at least back up to a passing by end of term, he had to get a job and pay for repeating those, then when they were complete, she' d pay again. Microbiology is not an easy course(fascinating to me, but not easy. My brother hated that one, and he is usually the one setting the curve.), but you still can' t blame the prof for that.

I think that is fair, don' t you?
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir