Do Not Let Moose Lick Your Car

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Dave

Do Not Let Moose Lick Your Car

Post by Dave »

It's probably a good suggestion... but I'm not sure I know just how I would get the message across to a moose. I'm not fluent in Cervid... they didn't offer it when I was in high school (just Spanish, French, and Russian).

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/22/americas ... index.html
lake_wrangler

Re: Do Not Let Moose Lick Your Car

Post by lake_wrangler »

What can I say... Us Canadians are such nice people... we care about everyone, including the Moose population...

Of course, they did set up those signs a little ahead of schedule... we were supposed to teach the moose how to read, first, to make the drivers' job easier, allowing drivers to merely point out the signs to the moose, rather than having to address them directly...
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

One of my favorite park warnings in the Cascades was Do Not Molest the Elk.

Seemed sound advice to me!

The other one was Rain Is Not an Emergency. :mrgreen:
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Where we are now, rain sometimes IS an emergency.

Not that the area gets a lot of it... in fact that's more or less the problem. When it comes, almost NOTHING is prepared for it. It doesn't even soak in, because the ground is so baked. So as you drive down the road, approaching a low spot, you see a sign: "DO NOT ENTER WHEN FLOODED".

(Seriously, only 5 months of the year average a half-inch or more of rain. None are over 4/5s of an inch.)
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

You don't have to worry about those "DO NOT ENTER WHEN FLOODED" signs until that one day a year where it does rain.

And when it does... :o :shock:
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

When I read this title, it sounds like Boris Baddenoff....
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

jwhouk wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:49 pm You don't have to worry about those "DO NOT ENTER WHEN FLOODED" signs until that one day a year where it does rain.

And when it does... :o :shock:
I don't know if they still do, but sixty-five years ago, when my family left Cleveland, down in the River Valley there were places 2here there were gates like railroad crossing gates with nary a track in sighr.

Wat they guarded were places where {the memories of my five-year-old self suggest} instead of building bridges over very shallow streams, they had instead included fords; and the occasional heavy rain would raise the stream tok high for safe fording...

Or, perhaps, they guarded low places that might flood.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Was trying to find the Babylon 5 "Moose and squirrel" scene, but no luck. Sorry!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Dave

Post by Dave »

Atomic wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:27 am Was trying to find the Babylon 5 "Moose and squirrel" scene, but no luck. Sorry!
It wasn't actually aired, unfortunately... doesn't seem as if it was even performed and taped. Really a shame... that one bit alone would have justified buying an entire Bloopers DVD!

It's mentioned in the Babylon 5 trivia section at IMDB.
Peter David wrote a throwaway joke that was not used. Describing it later, he said that if you didn't get it as soon as you heard it, it couldn't be explained well enough to make it funny. The setup was Garibaldi (a pop culture fan) and Londo in a corridor. Londo says he doesn't understand why Garibaldi wants him to do something. Garibaldi begs him to just do it. Londo sighs and says "Very well. 'Moose and squirrel'. Are you satisfied?"
Peter is probably right. It would have been divisive. Half of the TV audience would have been rolling on the floor shrieking with laughter, and the other half would have been staring at them and thinking they'd gone completely mad.
AnotherFairportfan

You know, i think i posted that trivia item.

I don't know PAD personally - i actually don't thjnk we've ever met ... but i've known his wife Kathleen since she was fourteen...
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

I distinctly remember seeing that as a video, outtake or otherwise, but it was posted somewhere! And yes, it was hilarious.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
AnotherFairportfan

Atomic wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:58 pm I distinctly remember seeing that as a video, outtake or otherwise, but it was posted somewhere! And yes, it was hilarious.
Nope.

PAD specifically said that JMS nixed that geg.

Back when Jerry Doyle {Garibaldi} died, i posted about that gag on PAD's blog.

At the time, there was a guy who posted on the "9 Chickweed Lane"/"Pibgorn" forum who went by the name of "Wilorg" there.

This post is talking about him:
mike weber says:
JULY 31, 2016 AT 6:40 AM
Over on another group, there’s a Russian/Canadian/Swiss actor-dancer-producer-cameraman-whatever who was apparently slightly acquainted with him.

{He had only just recently finished re-watching the whole of B5.}

I told the “moose und squirrel” story. His response:
That gag sounded so right I almost feel as if it really was in the show. I hear it and see it in my mind’s eye as well, but having just run through the entire oeuvre, I am pretty sure it was never used, but I could swear it was, if only because it sounds soooooo right. Moose and Squirrel… riiiiiiiight.
{Last i heard Wilorg was running a ballet school in Zurich. I have an absolutely stunning picture of the Kremlin in a snow storm at night that he took.}
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

(even for Wapsi Square, this is starting to sound like Greek. to me....)

Wait, wait! Bud's at the door!
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Back to OP: the reason is that moose apparently really like the taste of road salt, and apparently once they get a taste of it, will go to great lengths to get more.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin