RIP John Horton Conway

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Dave

RIP John Horton Conway

Post by Dave »

And COVID-19 takes another one.

https://xkcd.com/2293/

I have no good estimate for the number of processor-hours I burned up over the decades, running patterns through The Game of Life programs I had written.
AnotherFairportfan

Re: RIP John Horton Conway

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

I just found out that Kate - who's been doing Computer Stuff, from installing/repairing for Univac to contract work at SunTrust and AT&T, heading an engineering team in the . mobile phone industry to Database Manager for Hall County - as long as or longer than i ... had never even HEARD of Life.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

This is one of those 6-Degrees-of-Kevin-Bacon guys that 'I knew, but I didn't Know'...

I can recall an actually statement I made one time, comparing a board game to the PC I was booting up...

(in the voice of Crocodile Dundee) "That's not the game of life, this is the Game of Life!
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Dave wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:45 pm And COVID-19 takes another one.

https://xkcd.com/2293/

I have no good estimate for the number of processor-hours I burned up over the decades, running patterns through The Game of Life programs I had written.
Not knowing originally who John Horton Conway was, and seeing the link you provided, I thought for a minute that the creator of xkcd comics had died... I had to go look for his name (Randall something), to see that it wasn't the case...

Then I had to search for John Horton Conway, to figure out who you were talking about... Admittedly, I never played the Game of Life, so I had no idea...
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

I found the task of writing the code for Life to be more interesting than running it...