In China, leave the iPhone home when you go to interviews

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Fairportfan

In China, leave the iPhone home when you go to interviews

Post by Fairportfan »

Heh. I have to sort-of agree with the interviewer.

Of course, i'd say the same about college students who arrive for jobs in BMWs or wearing Armani suits.

iPhone users 'can't take the pain and suffering' of employment

Code: Select all

A Chinese student claims that it wasn't a less than impeccable suit, shaky grip or poor resume that lost them a job -- instead, it was the fact they had an iPhone.

A college student from the city of Changchun, Jilin, was apparently rejected after attending an interview, where the assessor spotted they had an iPhone.

According to Japanese publication NariNari -- via RocketNews24 -- the student, Mr.Gao, was rejected just a few minutes in to the proceedings on the basis that the firm was "not looking for students with iPhones."

Why? The reason given was not that smartphones provide a distraction in the workplace, or even that the company had enjoyed a few run-ins with the much-publicized concept of "fanbois", instead; the publication says that an iPhone is more an accessory associated with the bourgeois; those born with a silver spoon in their mouths and unused to a hard day's work.

According to the university student, when questioned why the talk was cut short, the interviewer said:

[quote]"Students who have iPhones don’t work. Everything you have was bought by your parents. You haven't bought anything by working yourself. You are wealthy and can't stand the stress. Working at our company is tough. It calls for someone who can take the pain and suffering."[/quote]

The iPhone was bought by the fourth-year student's parents, and flashing it about in an interview wasn't meant to be an ostentatious show of wealth. After Gao took to the web in annoyance, media outlets in China explored the idea of branding someone by their smartphone, and it seems that some Chinese firms have more of a dose of common sense. One company executive explained, "I couldn't care less what kind of mobile phone the student has. It's their abilities that I’m interested in."
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber