What about the Vivaldi browser?

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

lake_wrangler

What about the Vivaldi browser?

Post by lake_wrangler »

Last fall, I posted how the Brave Browser had taken a turn for the worst, suffering from slowdowns and even hanging my system. The Windows update version had fixed it, but the problem still lingered under Linux.

That is no longer the case. It now works just fine again, under Linux.

But while I was using Chromium in Linux, I started looking again at alternative browsers and their reviews. One such browser caught my attention. Vivaldi. I downloaded it, but the latest Brave update fixed the slowness/hanging problem before I had time to install and check out Vivaldi...

On the surface, Vivaldi, which is based on the Chromium/Blink engine, just like Brave, also inherits a number of functions from (and improvements on) the Opera browser. Those functions and characteristics seem interesting, but now that Brave is working again, I'm not sure I would want to take the time to test out Vivaldi. I've read reviews, and they're mostly positive, but still...

So out of curiosity, has anyone tried Vivaldi as their browser? How good is it? Are the functions and characteristics inherent to it worth switching over?
AnotherFairportfan

Re: What about the Vivaldi browser?

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

I tried it a while ago.

The main reason is that it was apparently from some of the team that developed the original Opera, which i stuck with until i absolutely HAD to switch to Firefox.

Back when i tried it, it had some characteristics i disliked - can't recall what at this remove - and didn't resemble Opera in the slightest.

I suppose i might try it again.;
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Firefox and its various forks have one specific feature I rely on: one can put tags on bookmarks, and in many ways use the tags as if they're bookmark folders - the critical difference being that a bookmark can be in only one folder but can have multiple tags...

Do any of these other browsers have that or an equivalent feature?
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

I haven't been able to use most modern stuff lately as the main machine running is 32 bit.

Still, I'm working on fixing that...