Late Bad News

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Julie

Late Bad News

Post by Julie »

Hi everyone. Hopping on here to share some news (in case y'all hadn't heard). Jabberwonky apparently passed away the evening of January 24th from gastric cancer (per a post on his Facebook page by his wife). I only just found out because a friend of his noticed I'd tagged him for something on Facebook, and left a comment to let me know. RIP Steve...you were a delightful person, one of the first (if not The first) to call me Miss Julie and make it a Thing...and I'm so glad I got a chance to meet you in the flesh to see that you are the same sweet person as I got to know online.
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Dave

Re: Late Bad News

Post by Dave »

That... is not the sort of news I wanted to hear... :(

but thank you for letting us know.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Dave wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:08 pm That... is not the sort of news I wanted to hear... :(

but thank you for letting us know.
ditto

we had an old-time SF fan pass away, essentially alone, recently, and most of us didn't find out till several months later
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Alas - he will be missed.

A sad note also in the digital age that so many people we know only by their posts can simply disappear and be lost but for friends and family who know and have access to their haunts to post a message like this. Thank you for closing the circle!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Rest in Peace, but Jabberwonky?-
do check in from time to time...
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

Sad to hear. We’ll all meet again, but the transitions are never happy.

Blessed Be.

Al
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

TazManiac wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:56 pm Rest in Peace, but Jabberwonky?-
do check in from time to time...
Samhain’s coming up soon enough...
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

Here's the group photo from the Dallas Mini-WapsiCon in 2015- where does the time go??? Steve/J'wonky is on the left.

I just hope he and Jasper have managed to meet up- he had once remarked he'd like to meet her and it never happened while he and she were on this side...

IMG_0689.jpeg
IMG_0689.jpeg (96.5 KiB) Viewed 26039 times
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

I'm trying to see if I can edit his profile to mark "Deceased" on it. I may have to change the password and do it from logging into the account.

Oddly enough, even though I'm in Houston - never met the man.
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

Bookworm wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:02 pm I'm trying to see if I can edit his profile to mark "Deceased" on it. I may have to change the password and do it from logging into the account.

it's the nature of today's society. Too busy to connect with something/someone that might be interesting/entertaining/amazing. I met the gang in Dallas five years ago, happened to reconnect with Miss Julie once between then and now. Had hoped to reconnect with Jabs at some point- waited too long.

Once this CV19 mess calms down, I'd like to invite you to meeting for a beverage or simply a friendly hello at a location of your choice. Pizza can be involved.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Hansontoons wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:27 pm
Bookworm wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:02 pm I'm trying to see if I can edit his profile to mark "Deceased" on it. I may have to change the password and do it from logging into the account.

it's the nature of today's society. Too busy to connect with something/someone that might be interesting/entertaining/amazing. I met the gang in Dallas five years ago, happened to reconnect with Miss Julie once between then and now. Had hoped to reconnect with Jabs at some point- waited too long.

Once this CV19 mess calms down, I'd like to invite you to meeting for a beverage or simply a friendly hello at a location of your choice. Pizza can be involved.
Works for me.

It's a mess for me, I have to make sure that my customers can all work remotely. I expect to be spending a LOT of time on site the next week or so - mostly by myself with nobody else in the building.

They're actually talking about closing the Port of Houston. What a huge idiocy that is. Slow down the loading/unloading, sure - so that people have more distance - but we NEED those goods to move!
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

South Central Pennsylvania here. I'd be up for a cuppa somewhere as well! Public facilities are all on take-out at the moment, so an item for the future.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

I'm in San Francisco and we shut down Monday night. Now the whole State of California has followed suit.

This deserves its own thread...
Dave

Post by Dave »

TazManiac wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:48 pm I'm in San Francisco and we shut down Monday night. Now the whole State of California has followed suit.

This deserves its own thread...
The "March 12" thread is topical...
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Point.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Advantage: Dave
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

AnotherFairportfan wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:26 pm Advantage: Dave
So, is it fifteen/love?
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Sorry, I'm too jealous of Dave to profess my deep underlying love for him...
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

Have not looked in for a long time, and am very sorry to learn this.

Almost afraid to catch up with people these days.
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.