CLassical ringtones - Nokia hires 55-piece orchestra

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Fairportfan

CLassical ringtones - Nokia hires 55-piece orchestra

Post by Fairportfan »

Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Atomic

Re: CLassical ringtones - Nokia hires 55-piece orchestra

Post by Atomic »

44 harmonicas, 6 ocarinas, drums, kazoo, marimba, shamisen, and triangle.

That should cover most everything!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Atomic wrote:44 harmonicas, 6 ocarinas, drums, kazoo, marimba, shamisen, and triangle.

That should cover most everything!
You forgot the cowbell, It always need more cowbell. (Sorry Mr Walken, please don't kill me) :ugeek:
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

'I GOTS THE FEVAH, AND THE ONLY PRESCRIPTION, IS MORE COWBELL!"
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Dave

Post by Dave »

It's about time. In my not-so-humble opinion, all cellphones should have a really good performance of Cage's 4' 33" as their default ringtone.

Including a cowbell is fine, as long as it doesn't overpower the piano.
alj_ws

Post by alj_ws »

Dave wrote:It's about time. In my not-so-humble opinion, all cellphones should have a really good performance of Cage's 4' 33" as their default ringtone.

I used for a long time the good part of 1812 overture as ringtone. Was rather funny in a crowd
Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.
Oscar Wilde
Dave

Post by Dave »

alj_ws wrote:I used for a long time the good part of 1812 overture as ringtone. Was rather funny in a crowd
Just don't try to carry that phone through an airport TSA security checkpoint. One incoming call at the wrong moment, and you could find yourself on the ground with a pile of freaked security people aiming nasty things at your head.
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

Dave wrote:
alj_ws wrote:I used for a long time the good part of 1812 overture as ringtone. Was rather funny in a crowd
Just don't try to carry that phone through an airport TSA security checkpoint. One incoming call at the wrong moment, and you could find yourself on the ground with a pile of freaked security people aiming nasty things at your head.
What, airport security is now armed with liver and onions?
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

NOTDilbert wrote:
Dave wrote:
What, airport security is now armed with liver and onions?
Worse, loaded baby diapers.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Mark N wrote:Worse, loaded baby diapers.
That reminds me of the story of a woman traveling by plane, with her baby... at one point, the passenger next to her noticed a rather unpleasant odor wafting from the baby, and tried to tactfully suggest to the mom that the baby's diaper was full and needed to be changed.

"Nah, she's ok," would reply the mom.

Over the next little while, the guy tried a few more times, to no avail. Same response each time.

At one point, he got really tired of the smell and got angry, saying "Listen, ma'am, that diaper is FULL and needs to be changed!"

"Nonsense," replied the mom. "It clearly says on the box that those diapers are good from 12lbs to 15lbs..."
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

lake_wrangler wrote:
That reminds me of the story of a woman traveling by plane, with her baby... at one point, the passenger next to her noticed a rather unpleasant odor wafting from the baby, and tried to tactfully suggest to the mom that the baby's diaper was full and needed to be changed.

Over the next little while, the guy tried a few more times, to no avail. Same response each time.

At one point, he got really tired of the smell and got angry, saying "Listen, ma'am, that diaper is FULL and needs to be changed!"

"Nonsense," replied the mom. "It clearly says on the box that those diapers are good from 12lbs to 15lbs..."
It has been one of those days. After reading the your story the first thought I had was "please tell me that was a joke". I have been dealing with utter stupidity all day.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Mark N wrote:It has been one of those days. After reading the your story the first thought I had was "please tell me that was a joke". I have been dealing with utter stupidity all day.
While I wouldn't be surprised to find out that someone, somewhere, was that dumb, it was indeed, as far as I know, a joke.

Admittedly, prefacing it with "That reminds me of the story of" is not exactly a dead giveaway, since it could still be counted as a true story, rather than the jocular type of story it was meant to be...
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Lessee - ringtones on my phone.

Kate: Toccata and Fugue in D Minor

Home phone: Steam locomotive whistling for a crossing

My brother Jim: "Yakkety Moog", by Gil Trythal

Helen: Commander Cody's "Lose It Tonight"

Steve (son-in-law) - but he doesn't have that phone anymore: Fairport Convention's "Orange Blossom Special"

Sister Kathy (the handweaver): The Clancy Brothers, "The Work of the Weavers"

Everyone else: real telephone bell.

===========================

Found this incidentally while preparing this post.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Fairportfan wrote:Steve (son-in-law) - but he doesn't have that phone anymore: Fairport Convention's "Orange Blossom Special"
I like that one...

Neat!
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

lake_wrangler wrote:
Fairportfan wrote:Steve (son-in-law) - but he doesn't have that phone anymore: Fairport Convention's "Orange Blossom Special"
I like that one...
That's the first time through. The second time around, Peggie (on the bass) and Bruce (drums)* really kick it into hyperdrive.

Here's the full version. (Downsampled to 64K to make it a reasonable size. Off the album Encore Encore.)

Bear in mind that this is a live performance, recorded without a net in 1979.

In Emma Bull's "Bordertown" novel, Finder**, the two main characters are having lunch in the Hard Luck Cafe*, a CD by a band called County Hell Fairgrounds is playing.
The bass player grabbed a handful of strings and began to climb the alphabet.

"How can he do that?" I wondered.

"Too much Fairport Convention as a child," Tick Tick said.
I've always suspected that this was specifically what Bull was thinking of when she wrote that.

=======================

* Dave Pegg and Bruce Rowland

** Check the prices at that Amazon link.
=====================
=====================
mike weber
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Dave wrote:In my not-so-humble opinion, all cellphones should have a really good performance of Cage's 4' 33" as their default ringtone.

I see what you did there. :mrgreen:
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

lake_wrangler wrote:
Mark N wrote:It has been one of those days. After reading the your story the first thought I had was "please tell me that was a joke". I have been dealing with utter stupidity all day.
While I wouldn't be surprised to find out that someone, somewhere, was that dumb, it was indeed, as far as I know, a joke.

Admittedly, prefacing it with "That reminds me of the story of" is not exactly a dead giveaway, since it could still be counted as a true story, rather than the jocular type of story it was meant to be...
Heard a version of that while watching Blue Collar Comedy Tour, don't remember who told it.... :)
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
Leak

Post by Leak »

I'm using Autechre's "Treale" for all my ringtone needs - starts out quiet (except for a rhythmic shaker-like stab) then gets more and more melodic...
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

I tend to use game music for my rigntones. Anyone who saw my 8-bit Wapsi video heard part of my current ringtone playing over the credits, "Strange Memories of Death" from Gimmick! (known as Mr. Gimmick in Europe). Here's the full track.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Julie

Post by Julie »

lake_wrangler wrote:

Ewwwwww! :) I flew to Phoenix Friday, and a baby threw up on the plane. I think it was worse than a dirty diaper (and I feel so badly for the flight attendant who had to stand right by the mess as we deplaned to make sure we all knew not to step in it or drag any carry-ons through it. Blech!

More on topic: now if only it was easier to shop for ringtones for my phone...
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."