Welcome to Winter

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

AnotherFairportfan

Welcome to Winter

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Alkarii

Re: Welcome to Winter

Post by Alkarii »

We had a little bit of snow the other day, but it melted on contact with the ground... Winter is almost always a soggy affair in Arkansas, unfortunately.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
AnotherFairportfan

Alkarii wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:50 am We had a little bit of snow the other day, but it melted on contact with the ground... Winter is almost always a soggy affair in Arkansas, unfortunately.
Apparently it got bad enough in the afternoon that the letter carriers didn't run; they came by today {Sunday}.

I took a couple more pictures, and i'll take a few more, to show the progress of winter.

Meanwhile, it's apparently supposed to rain like hell tomorrow ...
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

We had about a foot and a half, last Friday, and we're getting another 6 inches or so tonight and tomorrow...
AnotherFairportfan

Ours was gone a day or so later.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Earlier in January, the province of Newfoundland had about 3 feet of snow in one storm (followed by another foot or snow shortly thereafter)... Cars were literally buried in snow, and some houses were so deep in the stuff, that you could open the door and see an impression of your door into a wall of snow!

I did a quick search, and here are some of the good YouTube videos that represent well the situation:

The aftermath of the N.L. winter storm; more snow hits Atlantic Canada

Blizzards and storms strike Newfoundland

Snow blizzard hits parts of Canada

Monster Newfoundland storm prompts state of emergency

Canadian Forces arrive in Newfoundland to help dig out residents after winter storm

Digging out from the record snow won't be an easy task in St.John's Newfoundland

An ode to the Newfoundland storm: Mark Critch
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

(quietly chuckles in Arizonan)
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Didn't you used to live in Minnesota or Michigan, before that? Surely, you've seen real winters before, no?
AnotherFairportfan

lake_wrangler wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:47 pm Didn't you used to live in Minnesota or Michigan, before that? Surely, you've seen real winters before, no?
I was born in Chicago and lived until the summer i was seven in Cleveland; my memories include crashing through ice into water that would have been over my head and coming out on the other side, whereupon my fiber-insulated snowsuit froze immediately, and i was trapped on a small island until our neighbour, a firefighter, came to get me wearing his waist-high waders.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

lake_wrangler wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:47 pm Didn't you used to live in Minnesota or Michigan, before that? Surely, you've seen real winters before, no?
Yes.

Closest I have come to that in the last few years was when it hailed like crazy in late November in north Mesa.

"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin