Board Requests (Mods?)

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

starkruzr

Re: Board Requests (Mods?)

Post by starkruzr »

shadowinthelight wrote:Quicker identification of who is posting when you see the avatar immediately.
But it says "by so-and-so" in the upper left corner of the post.
starkruzr

Post by starkruzr »

stjen wrote:
Dave wrote:
stjen wrote:I don't care what you want to do -- just want to do the right thing to get that stuff removed.
There's a little !-in-a-triangle icon just above each posting, just to the left of "quote". If you click it, it'll take you to a spam-reporting form, which I assume notifies the Wielders of the Sacred Modhammer.
Ah, you're right, there it is. I was hoping there was something, but at that moment I couldn't find it. Thanks for spotting that -- I'll use it if I suspect I've noticed something between moderator spins around the forum.
I think there was another one after this thread. I nabbed it. But I don't get any kind of notifications yet when warnings happen. I wonder if Pablo has to set up a mail relay for the board.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Bookworm wrote:Generally, in most of the browsers, you just right click the link, and select 'open in new tab'.
I know that, and I already do, except when I forget... but some forums do that automatically, so you don't have to manually select to open in a new tab...

Maybe I'm just too lazy...
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

On the comments on the strip we could reply to specific comments and buld sub thread for original comments. This allowed some very good conversations about comments and topics. In the current format each post is a new message and trying to keep continuity to a single point is hard unless we build complex quote combinations to reference the point we want to talk about. Is there anyway to get that type of functionality to the forum? Without that the forum actually is more confusing and harded to discuss things then the previous comments were.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

As has been discussed, this will NOT be a threaded board. If you like chaos, visit /.

If you want to reply to an earlier post, use the quote section, and just chop out the sections you aren't responding to. It's not difficult. If the topic seems to be getting too crowded, just create a new topic, or ask a moderator to lock the topic and create a 'Part Deux' topic.
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
Leak

Post by Leak »

Bookworm wrote:Generally, in most of the browsers, you just right click the link, and select 'open in new tab'.
Or, even more convenient, use that middle button (or wheel) on your mouse to click...
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

As my time is kind of tight, if one(more?) of you wants to go through the styles available at http://www.phpbb.com/styles/ - feel free to do so, and put suggestions here. Paul and I can try to sort through them.

People could also grab one of the graphics development kits if they wanted to try to create a custom 'Wapsi' look.

BW
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
alj_ws

Post by alj_ws »

i leafed quickly through the designs available. Most are horrible but here is those i found both good and with left author icon and details :

CA serie
I prefer light backgrounds so CA gen2 even if too light,
Dark revil is a good high contrast one /methink,
Digital very good,
Rockn'roll silver could be a good base but need at least the icon set changed,
Soul city simplicity is one of the greatest but it is a rigthie post setup,
we_clearblue & we_universal are both simple,elegant design,
subsilver3 fit the bill but I dont like the color scheme.

there is a whole list of things based on subsilver2.
the ones i prefer :

* mg_autumn
* polyethylene great but narrow layout
* redsilver3
* serenity one of the best imho even if a bit too light

my top 3 : digital, redsilver3 & serenity, but my favorite would be polyethylene if a narrow layout is ok.
Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.
Oscar Wilde
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

I like subsilver3.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Julie

Post by Julie »

alj_ws wrote:i leafed quickly through the designs available. Most are horrible but here is those i found both good and with left author icon and details :

CA serie
I prefer light backgrounds so CA gen2 even if too light,
Dark revil is a good high contrast one /methink,
Digital very good,
Rockn'roll silver could be a good base but need at least the icon set changed,
Soul city simplicity is one of the greatest but it is a rigthie post setup,
we_clearblue & we_universal are both simple,elegant design,
subsilver3 fit the bill but I dont like the color scheme.

there is a whole list of things based on subsilver2.
the ones i prefer :

* mg_autumn
* polyethylene great but narrow layout
* redsilver3
* serenity one of the best imho even if a bit too light

my top 3 : digital, redsilver3 & serenity, but my favorite would be polyethylene if a narrow layout is ok.
I tend to prefer darker backgrounds (light sensitivity and all that jazz), but polyethylene was nice...
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Leak wrote:
Or, even more convenient, use that middle button (or wheel) on your mouse to click...
I did not know that. Neat. Thanks. 8-)
alj_ws

Post by alj_ws »

Julie wrote:
alj_ws wrote:i leafed quickly through the designs available. Most are horrible but here is those i found both good and with left author icon and details :

I tend to prefer darker backgrounds (light sensitivity and all that jazz), but polyethylene was nice...
I prefer them too, but most darker background are on reverse contrast which I find myself even more aggressive. There is few layouts with a neutral background (around 18% gray) unfortunately.

The narrow layout will cause problems when inline image are posted. However, If I'm not mistaken all Phpbb layouts are Css3 which means that enlarging the central column should be relatively trivial.
Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.
Oscar Wilde
PrettyPrincess

Post by PrettyPrincess »

starkruzr wrote: I think there was another one after this thread. I nabbed it. But I don't get any kind of notifications yet when warnings happen. I wonder if Pablo has to set up a mail relay for the board.
As far as I can tell, we only get email notifications for PMs, and only if you have that option turned on. Also, I apparently can't start PMs to others, or reply, but I can receive them.
PrettyPrincess

Post by PrettyPrincess »

Mobile Theme

Khaki Black

Those are two I think could be useful, I'm still looking for a black and hot pink one that I like.
starkruzr

Post by starkruzr »

PrettyPrincess wrote:
starkruzr wrote: I think there was another one after this thread. I nabbed it. But I don't get any kind of notifications yet when warnings happen. I wonder if Pablo has to set up a mail relay for the board.
As far as I can tell, we only get email notifications for PMs, and only if you have that option turned on. Also, I apparently can't start PMs to others, or reply, but I can receive them.
I thought the PM thing was just me being blind and not seeing where we were supposed to go to reply. I'll poke him about it. Can the rest of you guys (non-mods) start PMs?

Also, I don't think we're going to move to a left-avatar theme unless we can also easily incorporate a good mobile theme, guys. Left-avatar makes mobile really irritating.
Dave11

Post by Dave11 »

starkruzr wrote: Also, I don't think we're going to move to a left-avatar theme unless we can also easily incorporate a good mobile theme, guys. Left-avatar makes mobile really irritating.
Suggestion: Add one as an option, but leave the right-avatar theme as the default. That addresses mobile browsing but allows users to select their preference.
Eagerly anticipating the Pun Jar singularity event...

Forget the Plot Flour...we're into Plot Cornstarch, and the plot has gone non-newtonian...

"To the Journey!"
starkruzr

Post by starkruzr »

Dave11 wrote:
starkruzr wrote: Also, I don't think we're going to move to a left-avatar theme unless we can also easily incorporate a good mobile theme, guys. Left-avatar makes mobile really irritating.
Suggestion: Add one as an option, but leave the right-avatar theme as the default. That addresses mobile browsing but allows users to select their preference.
This is a really excellent idea. I *completely* forgot users can select which theme they want. Probably because I was up until 5AM doing server maintenance last night :P
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Hm. Private messages _are_ enabled. I don't know why it's not showing up. I'll do some more looking.
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

Ah, I may have some info as to why the mods have their PM off.

I was trapped for a few days in a Usergroup called "Newly Registered Users". Paul had to approve all my posts, and PM was not switched on.

I think I got stuck in there because I happened to visit the comic just as the Smiling Bud link for the forums went live, and so jumping straight to the brand new boards, I became something like the very first poster.

Later I discovered that all the mods were in that usergroup with me. Spooky.

Anyway, hope that info helps sort this out.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Well, you should automatically move out of 'newly registered users' after a few posts. I've put all the moderators into groups, as well as administrators, and even _I'm_ not seeing the correct PM links