Board Requests (Mods?)

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

jwhouk

Board Requests (Mods?)

Post by jwhouk »

Given that this is a new board, I was wondering if there was a place for some requests?

Like, say, being able to change the color scheme/skin, and having poster info show up on the left instead of right?

Just a humble suggestion...
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Bookworm

Re: Board Requests (Mods?)

Post by Bookworm »

Currently there's only the one theme. No other themes have been downloaded/modified as of yet. That's where most of those extra layout bits come from, like colour and poster info. (Actually the poster info might be a setting in the board. I'll admit I'm used to it being on the left myself. Yes, that left <----- .
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

No problems here, as I see this setup on some other fora I visit regularly. And, I've already suggested a Fan Art area, so...

Just takes a while for everybody to get used to the new setup. Enjoying it!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

One thing about 'poster on the right' is that for smaller screens (tablets, netbooks), you still can read the post without scrolling (much).
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
Wapsi
Site Admin

Post by Wapsi »

I was looking through the settings and can't find a way to move the avatars to the left. I'll hunt around more.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

subsilver defaults to the left hand side. Prosilver (this one) defaults to the right hand side.

It can't be changed without modifying the CSS file. (I just looked it up)

It might be better to simply upload and modify a few other themes for advertising and let people choose between them.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Possibly colors more similar to Pablo's main site might be a good one.
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
PrettyPrincess

Post by PrettyPrincess »

With phpBB at least adding new themes isn't too tricky. :mrgreen: I'd go for one in black and hot pink, myself...
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

I think the main character is part Mexican, and part Irish, so it should probably be Hot Pink and Shamrock Green (rather than Lime green)
starkruzr

Post by starkruzr »

I agree that having avatars on the right makes things more readable when scrolling on mobile devices.

What are the reasons for moving them to the left? Genuinely curious.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Quicker identification of who is posting when you see the avatar immediately.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

It's part of the css for the theme itself. To move it from right to left requires manually changing the code. If more themes get added, then you'll be able to pick the one tha thas the look and feel you want.

I haven't had time to look through any themes to share with Paul.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

I'm not a frequenter of many forums, but very few that I do see have the info on the right. Most of it is on the left, mostly because (I would suspect) of the Western tendency of writing/reading from left to right.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

One thing that would be nice, which is something I'm used to seeing on the CRFH!!! forum (and I don't know how common that is, as I don't frequent too many forums...), is to have outside links being clicked (i.e. links to something that is not found on the forum itself) open into a new tab, rather than on the same page as one is on. That way, once you are done reading whatever you clicked, and whatever you clicked on there, and whatever bunny trail you ended up following for however long, you merely close that tab, and still have the same spot on the forum where you left off, rather than having to crawl back through the browser history to return.
Claude Doucet, lake (dot) wrangler (at) gmail (dot) com
Si Dieu est ton co-pilote, tu es dans le mauvais siège!!!!
If God is your co-pilot, you're in the wrong seat!!!
Si Bondye se kopilòt ou, ou pa nan bon chèz!!!
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Generally, in most of the browsers, you just right click the link, and select 'open in new tab'.
stjen

Post by stjen »

Is there some way to send a pm to the moderators? As in -- there's a spam post in the main pub room, and I just wanted to report it for moderation. (I sent a manual pm, but it complained that the 6 moderators were too many to send a PM to, so only 5 got it. Plus, it took a bit to remember all of the mods to enter into the PM.)

Or, one of us could just reply to such a post by singing the Monty Python Spam Song (you know: "Spam Spam Spam Spam Spam Spam Spam Spam ...", and that would be your cue to delete the post or thread in question (including the spam report).

I don't care what you want to do -- just want to do the right thing to get that stuff removed.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

That's okay - I got it, and I'll be purging him in a second.

I think you can be assured that someone will read through all the threads every day and catch them as well.
Dave

Post by Dave »

stjen wrote:I don't care what you want to do -- just want to do the right thing to get that stuff removed.
There's a little !-in-a-triangle icon just above each posting, just to the left of "quote". If you click it, it'll take you to a spam-reporting form, which I assume notifies the Wielders of the Sacred Modhammer.
PrettyPrincess

Post by PrettyPrincess »

PMs work, but Bookworm had already got it by the time my email notified me. I actually wouldn't mind a text message - is there a phpbb addon that allows text notifications for reported threads?
stjen

Post by stjen »

Dave wrote:
stjen wrote:I don't care what you want to do -- just want to do the right thing to get that stuff removed.
There's a little !-in-a-triangle icon just above each posting, just to the left of "quote". If you click it, it'll take you to a spam-reporting form, which I assume notifies the Wielders of the Sacred Modhammer.
Ah, you're right, there it is. I was hoping there was something, but at that moment I couldn't find it. Thanks for spotting that -- I'll use it if I suspect I've noticed something between moderator spins around the forum.