Board Requests (Mods?)

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Bookworm

Re: Board Requests (Mods?)

Post by Bookworm »

Okay - people are going to laugh, but the only members of 'newly registered users', it appears, were the moderators.
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Bookworm wrote:Okay - people are going to laugh, but the only members of 'newly registered users', it appears, were the moderators.
As the Lanthian priest said, "Interesting!"

Sounds as if the "put newly-registered users into the newly-registered-users" filter may have been set backwards... as Witch Hazel said, "I had the silly thing in reverse!" ;) To keep spambots at bay you'd presumably want the first couple of postings from newly-registered users to require moderator approval?
davids4250

Post by davids4250 »

Dunno if this is the right place for this, but I'm guessing it might be.

The last several time I have logges in, it has said I have logged in successfully, but if I have tried to post something, it makes me log in again. Is this normal? Or am I doing something wrong?
No trees were harmed in sending this message, however, a large number of electrons were seriously inconvenienced
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Hm. .Your cookies may not be 'taking'. So it requires another login when you attempt to post, so it can confirm that _right at that moment_ you are an authorized user.

You might want to purge your cache (including cookies) if you don't mind logging into other sites that use cookies.
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Howdy Admins -
I love the forum, but need to ask, what is at least, a protocol question.
I have a lot of just random thoughts that don't fit any topic. I've already opened one for my Time Warp filk, but don't think that a new topic for each sort of weird train of thought that sparks up is neat, or polite to you running the forum. But I also don't know if it's kosher to open a topic just for the junk drawer of thoughts that it would be.
Any suggestions on this? I really don't want to honk off any of the hard working (and have I mentioned, good looking?) folks that work at making this as much fun as it is.

Thanks a bunch,
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Jabberwonky: I think I answered your question. (see: RTOTD)
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Okay, now, I've figured out that the circle icon under the topic name lets you know some info on what's going on. Pink is new posts since you last read there, blue is no new posts.
But, what does the star mean, I thought it meant you posted in that topic, but careful study shows no.
And what does the scrolling 'text' mean?

Just curious...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Dave11

Post by Dave11 »

Jabberwonky wrote:Okay, now, I've figured out that the circle icon under the topic name lets you know some info on what's going on. Pink is new posts since you last read there, blue is no new posts.
But, what does the star mean, I thought it meant you posted in that topic, but careful study shows no.

Just curious...
I think scrolling text is a "hot topic" - large number of posts.
Eagerly anticipating the Pun Jar singularity event...

Forget the Plot Flour...we're into Plot Cornstarch, and the plot has gone non-newtonian...

"To the Journey!"
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

Jabberwonky wrote:Okay, now, I've figured out that the circle icon under the topic name lets you know some info on what's going on. Pink is new posts since you last read there, blue is no new posts.

Just curious...
Star does mean you posted in the topic. At least on my computer.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

A question: clicking on the "new posts" icon in a particular thread doesn't take you to the first new post, but to the top of the page where the first new post is - which is sometimes all the way down at the bottom of the page. Is this a forum-wide thing, or an individual user setting that I'm not seeing?
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

jwhouk wrote:A question: clicking on the "new posts" icon in a particular thread doesn't take you to the first new post, but to the top of the page where the first new post is - which is sometimes all the way down at the bottom of the page. Is this a forum-wide thing, or an individual user setting that I'm not seeing?
it must be just you... i went to a forum that i figured would have multiple unread posts (for me anyways) and hit "new posts" and it kicked up the first unread post right at the top of the screen, with all the already-read posts above it (i could scroll both up and down)... so it showed up in the middle of the page of all the posts, showing the first unread one at the top of the screen...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

If I click on the little orange "view first unread post" icon when it shows up it works fine here.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

It seems to be hit-and-miss for me; sometimes the link takes me straight to the first new post, sometimes it lands me a few posts above it.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

MerchManDan wrote:It seems to be hit-and-miss for me; sometimes the link takes me straight to the first new post, sometimes it lands me a few posts above it.
I think that depends on the size of the latest post...
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Fairportfan wrote:I think that depends on the size of the latest post...
That's normal, especially with the likes of the Fan Art thread. The browser goes to the correct post but then the opening of pics throws it off.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Ah, yup; that's precisely what it is. OK then, all is well.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)