Board Upgrades!

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Bookworm

Re: Board Upgrades!

Post by Bookworm »

1920x1080 is the 'maximum' dimensions right now. So 11** in the height is too wide.

margins - I already reduced the buffer pixels and enlarged the max width radically. There's not really an option for 'unlimited width' (yes, I think that's kind of odd myself)
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Bookworm wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:09 ammargins - I already reduced the buffer pixels and enlarged the max width radically. There's not really an option for 'unlimited width' (yes, I think that's kind of odd myself)
Well, I don't know if you did anything, but it is working, now...
Screenshot_2018-09-20_03-23-46_sm.jpg
Screenshot_2018-09-20_03-23-46_sm.jpg (218.74 KiB) Viewed 11741 times
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

I stand corrected: your max width is indeed fixed. I just hadn't widened my browser enough to notice, yet...

When I widen it to much wider than what I am used to (in fact, it is so wide, it spills onto the next screen), the borders do show:
(Actual window size is 2290 X 1089)
Screenshot_2018-09-20_03-29-31_sm.jpg
Screenshot_2018-09-20_03-29-31_sm.jpg (180.75 KiB) Viewed 11740 times

The borders only start showing when I have the window not quite as wide as the screen (screen width is 2048):
(Actual image size is 1927 X 1095)
Screenshot_2018-09-20_03-30-07_sm.jpg
Screenshot_2018-09-20_03-30-07_sm.jpg (173.98 KiB) Viewed 11740 times

So now, I can start reading the posts in a size I am more familiar with, while not suffering extensive margins on the side:
(original size: 1450 X 1072)
Screenshot_2018-09-20_03-46-59_sm.jpg
Screenshot_2018-09-20_03-46-59_sm.jpg (143.47 KiB) Viewed 11740 times

Though now I will have to agree with Dave, on the side panel with the poster's info...
Dave wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:50 pm The one thing that I notice now, is that when I view the forum in a wide-window browser, the rightmost strip in the postings (the one with the poster's icon, links, etc.) seems to be a good deal wider than necessary. Even with the longest bit of text (usually in the "user's location" field) there's a lot of blank space to the right of the text and the icon, before one comes to the right margin. This part of the forum body could probably be narrowed by maybe 40% without losing any information, or making text wrap more than very occasionally.

This isn't a problem when I view on a tablet, in portrait orientation - the icons and text fill most of the space in that strip.

I'm guessing that the strip in question is set up to take a fixed percentage of the window width? Is there a way to clip the width a bit, to reserve more space for the posted text in the messages?
Widen the window enough, and while you no longer have all that buffer space around the forum, you do have some blank space to the right of the poster's info.

Although, contrary to what Dave seems to have thought, there is already some text wrapping occurring, depending on the width of the browser window...

And the poster's info disappears altogether, if the window is narrowed too much... So I'm guessing Dave is right in thinking that section is set to a percentage of the window, with a set minimum?
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Re-posting here:
DinkyInky wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:38 am Testing the forums on a KFHDX7, and this version has a one-inch right-margin cutoff. Makes posting here in portrait mode obnoxious. Is there a way to force it to say, use a permanent desktop mode, as it appears to be automatically selecting the mobile version, which hates my tablet.
Still trying to figure how to take a pic of this to show you, as it has no native ability to screenshot. Might have to do it the long way, but the only way to presently post here so I can see what I'm doing here is in Landscape, which is clunky.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Damn, you can’t screenshot on that thing?

To put not too fine a point on it, as Al would say, I think your tablet just... sucks. The lack of a screenshot ability combined with all the numerous and varied problems it’s given you in the past...
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

What tablet IS this? I'm kind of agreeing with GlytchMeister.

Depending on the tablet, you might be able to install Lineage OS on it, or even an old Cyanogenmod.

Edited - I see that it might be a Kindle Fire HDX 7".

https://forum.xda-developers.com/kindle-fire-hdx

That's a device from 2013. In Tablet years, that's geriatric. In reality, it's not really that much slower than modern tablets. I resurrected a 2012 Nexus by flashing it with Lineage OS, and I can't tell you how much of a difference it made - more responsive, and up to date on security and operating system.
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

The forum ate my posts seven times, so short version:

Kindle parent/fangirl here. The parental controls(which are also neat security features) are what keep me loyal.

The HDX officially launched in October 2014, mine arrived in 2015, and is still under warranty even though they don't make them any more, so jailbreaking it is not an option.

The same issues crop up on my kiddos Fire 8 tablet, which isn't even a year old. Our previous tablet was the KFHD 8.9 from 2012, and only reason it's not still in use was the charge port finally went. Might tear it apart and repair it for fun later if I get bored and have it for books and music.

Bad camera pics of the forum in portrait v. landscape:
Photo5841.jpg
Photo5841.jpg (97.44 KiB) Viewed 11706 times
Photo5842.jpg
Photo5842.jpg (66.21 KiB) Viewed 11706 times
As you can see, portrait mode looks like a mobile version(but doesn't act like it, as it cuts off the right margin, which makes typing responses in portrait mode problematic), while landscape looks(and acts) like the usual desktop version.

It's only super annoying when I type responses, as I prefer using portrait mode.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

--Safyr Drathmir
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_HDX - October of 2013. Kindle is still sending security updates to it, which is amazing. Quite possibly the only seller of Android tablets willing to provide updates after five years.

I'm working on uploading a screen shot, but my Dragon Touch tablet isn't having any problems with reading or replying in portrait mode. I'll try an ATT Trek HD and a Nexus (2012) a bit later.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Apparently I have the wrong version of the phpbb gallery, so it doesn't function properly.

I'll be looking at pulling from the GIT, that's supposed to be functional right now, and upgrading/replacing. Not right now, though.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Bookworm wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:15 pm https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_HDX - October of 2013. Kindle is still sending security updates to it, which is amazing. Quite possibly the only seller of Android tablets willing to provide updates after five years.

I'm working on uploading a screen shot, but my Dragon Touch tablet isn't having any problems with reading or replying in portrait mode. I'll try an ATT Trek HD and a Nexus (2012) a bit later.
Hmm, never saw them until 2014, but I got mine new from Amazon in 2015, so kiddo could keep the big one to himself. When the 8.9 borked, I got him the Fire 8, which I think is seventh gen, and is only a wee bit smaller screenwise, but twice the storage capacity of his previous one, and also has an expansion port, so I'm probably going to get him an SD card later to move the music and photos/videos to so he can keep space freed up.

Amazon has fairly great customer service, even when the techs can't always help(because they're trained to use the wifi support system((MAYDAY)), and it doesn't work on my tablets because the security features they have when you enable parental controls don't give anyone remote access to the tech--I REALLY love that feature.), they still do their best to help.

My sister still has an original Kindle Fire(she used to use it a lot until she upgraded), and she still gets some security updates for it, though she downgraded it to a dedicated play/e-reader for the kids.
They last pretty well if taken care of. I only learned of preventing the charge port issue after it broke, so one loss of an almost six year old tablet isn't too bad I guess.

Plus it beats the trousers out of the "deal" I got with Apple.

EDIT: Saw your post. No worries. Thank you for all the hard work you do on this, it's greatly appreciated.

--Safyr Drathmir
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Ok. On my att tablet, in portrait, it shows the poster name on top in a mobile format, rather than on the side.

However, typing this reply is no problem.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Bookworm wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:36 pm Ok. On my att tablet, in portrait, it shows the poster name on top in a mobile format, rather than on the side.

However, typing this reply is no problem.
Board index still doesn't show last posted topic/poster in portrait, and as long as my replies are short, it doesn't cutoff in portrait.

EDIT: Had a thought, it might be my tablet display master type size causing the posting issue, will have to check it later.

--Safyr Drathmir