Board Upgrades!

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Bookworm

Board Upgrades!

Post by Bookworm »

The Wapsi Forum has been upgraded to phpBB 3.2.3, which is the latest one available.

I had to remove all the existing mods, which included the Gravitar mod. I'll try to come up with something to replace it, especially if there are complaints.

If you want additional options on the board, like styles, etc, please go through the phpBB customisation database at

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/

and point out exactly which ones you think would be useful. This will save me a ton of time, as all I'll have to do is review the extension and see if it's something that would be useful.

Hopefully we can push and get the forum more active again, now that it's not quite so old :)

BW
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
Dave

Re: Board Upgrades!

Post by Dave »

It looks as if a few of the security extensions might be very helpful. "Authorized for URLs" might block a lot of the bot posts, "Stop Forum Spam" might keep some of the bots from registering, and of course there's always Ban Hammer (a.k.a. the Ritual Anvil of Chastisement) if it comes to such drastic measures.

You seem to have Akismet guarding the main Wapsi site... can you use that here as well?
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

I'm not sure if we can use the same Akismet API key or not. I'm pretty certain that this site won't qualify for a free key. I'll do some checking later.

I haven't seen any 'inactive users' (people that passed the registration but haven't activated via email) since the upgrade, so the captcha may be working. It's a bit annoying, but feel free to let me know if I should make it easier or harder to read.
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Like the cleaner design, but was worried for a minute -- found the View New Posts under the Quick Links at top left. Yay! Not sure how to advertise that right away (brief pop over message?) but I hope it gets found by all.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

A lot nicer and cleaner, though yes, I had a bit of an orientation issue at the start. I do like the dropdown to get to the various options.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

I want my Gravatars back!
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Try looking for whatever it would take to enable Gravitars in phpBB 3.2 :)

I just added some more complexity to the CAPTCHA. I don't want to go overboard, because I'd prefer people could actually sign up and participate; however, there were another 10 'inactive' logins and three spam post attempts this morning.

I have the complete newbies set for post approval until they've posted 5 times. It means I'll have to choose a moderator or two soon.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Gravitars should be working again, although they might have to be re-linked or uploaded.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Automatic Daylight Savings Time (DST) would be nice to have back... I had to go and manually change my timezone and edit my post, for it to reflect my actual time...

Other than that, it looks nice. Looks like we now have more formatting options, too...
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

One imediate change for the better is that the Forum is much more readable on the bar_of_soap Android cell phone's screen. I used to have to do some Zooming and repositioning to get it to work.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

TazManiac wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:53 pm One imediate change for the better is that the Forum is much more readable on the bar_of_soap Android cell phone's screen. I used to have to do some Zooming and repositioning to get it to work.
And the text editor also fits on mobile, too, which is super nice.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
ShneekeyTheLost

Post by ShneekeyTheLost »

Some kind of dark skin wouldn't go amiss...
Dave

Post by Dave »

ShneekeyTheLost wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:12 pm Some kind of dark skin wouldn't go amiss...
One might look at the semi-official color palette which was posted here, and come up with a number of interesting skins for the web site.

You'd be asking for the Brandi skin, I suppose. 8-)
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Dave wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:18 pm
ShneekeyTheLost wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:12 pm Some kind of dark skin wouldn't go amiss...
One might look at the semi-official color palette which was posted here, and come up with a number of interesting skins for the web site.

You'd be asking for the Brandi skin, I suppose. 8-)
That sounds.. Creepy. Silence of the Lambs creepy.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

lake_wrangler wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:55 pm Automatic Daylight Savings Time (DST) would be nice to have back... I had to go and manually change my timezone and edit my post, for it to reflect my actual time...

Other than that, it looks nice. Looks like we now have more formatting options, too...
Well, as that's a mod, I can't really use it. I don't want to spend hours every day maintaining the code, and they abandoned mods in favour of extensions when they went to php3.1

-----

I've installed reCaptcha from Google, and activated it. We'll see if it cuts down on the spurious registrations.
ShneekeyTheLost

Post by ShneekeyTheLost »

Something like this perhaps?

Oh, hey, Bookworm... Authorized For URL's looks like it could help keep down the spam, by requiring authorization to post URL's.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

I thought about doing the authorization for URL's, but it made more sense to just require authorization for 5 posts. Mildly annoying for me and new people, but considering that the spammers sometimes just try to use their signature for the URL, and jam all sorts of weird stuff in a post, it'll block them the best.

I'll see how the recaptcha is going tomorrow.

As for the pycode skin, I'll wait a few days until the author has a chance to update the code for 3.2.3.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

lake_wrangler wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:55 pm Automatic Daylight Savings Time (DST) would be nice to have back... I had to go and manually change my timezone and edit my post, for it to reflect my actual time...

It looks as though if you've set your time zone correctly, it should automatically stay in step from now on.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Bookworm wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:27 pm

It looks as though if you've set your time zone correctly, it should automatically stay in step from now on.
I had it set correctly in the previous board version, but when I checked here, it was set for one timezone over. Now, it is set for the right timezone. We'll see what happens when Daylight Savings Time ends.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

The one thing I'd inquired about from the last iteration was just to change the header from the generic "phpBB" logo to something Pablo could sketch. Mostly so you could tell you were on the Wapsi Square forums, and not just "GENERIC DISCUSSION FORUM".
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin