Baba Yaga's Sausages

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

AnotherFairportfan

Baba Yaga's Sausages

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Baba Yaga, as you may well be aware, is a RUssian/Slavic folktale - the ugly witch who lives in the forest in a hut that walks on chicken legs and flies in a giant mortar, which she steers with the pestle.

She is Very Ugly, has iron teeth, and eats naughty children.

Sometimes, especially in summer, when the weather is good, the days are long, and the kids can get outside and Get Up To Stuff, there are more naughty children than she can eat at one time.

So she makes sausage to tide her over through the winter.

Bratwurst.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Dave

Re: Baba Yaga's Sausages

Post by Dave »

(Dave places a tin of potted meat into the Pun Jar in AFF's honor)

(Dave is, of course, jealous about this, but isn't chicken about admitting it, and doesn't want to be a jerk)

(Dave admits that AFF's choice of topics was perfectly appropriate for a Sunday evening.)
AnotherFairportfan

Dave wrote:(Dave places a tin of potted meat into the Pun Jar in AFF's honor)

(Dave is, of course, jealous about this, but isn't chicken about admitting it, and doesn't want to be a jerk)

(Dave admits that AFF's choice of topics was perfectly appropriate for a Sunday evening.)
I was making dinner - a quick one-pot oven baked meal with potatoes, onions, stone ground mustard/olice oil sauce ... and bratwurst.

Just as it did when i was a kid {resulting in the Swedish sailor}, my mind began playing with the word... {Actually, i was idly wondering just what the name signifies, since i've never looked up the etymology of "bratwurst"...}

============

Feel free to file the serial number off and use it... {Likewise the Swedish sailor.}

Ya know - i don't think i've told the interesting backstory of a minor character in the film Dragonslayer here... {That one wound up on the UP Feature Wire with no credit ... a friend passed it on to a mutual friend, and she told her husband, who worked on a Birmingham paper...}
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Of course, for those of us who are of Germanic heritage, the pun doesn't quite work.

"Brats" - the type you put on a roll and slather with sauerkraut and Secret Stadium Sauce - are pronounced "BROT" with a long O.

"Brats" - the type of children you'd rather smack upside the head with a clue-by-four - are pronounced "BRAT" with a long A.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
AnotherFairportfan

I know that.

It's for English speakers and it's textual.

Picky.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

You two cut it out; I both had the same realization 'brot' vs 'brat' AND thought it was funny too...

What I hadn't mentioned yet was the funari aspect of Baba having a sausage. <shudder> (see what I did there? changed the whole narrative, iz whut...)

Still, I also did wonder if there was a, perhaps regional Sausage being made w/ that brand, maybe something like- 'Baba Yaga's Old Time Country Sausage'.

Man, now I'm hungry...
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

TazManiac wrote:You two cut it out; I both had the same realization 'brot' vs 'brat' AND thought it was funny too...

What I hadn't mentioned yet was the funari aspect of Baba having a sausage. <shudder> (see what I did there? changed the whole narrative, iz whut...)

Still, I also did wonder if there was a, perhaps regional Sausage being made w/ that brand, maybe something like- 'Baba Yaga's Old Time Country Sausage'.

Man, now I'm hungry...
Dunno about Sausage, but Baba Yaga is a very interesting fragrance.

Been a while since I've worn it, but I'll pop a review here of it tomorrow for giggles.

[Watch this space]

Baba Yaga
Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab: Märchen, Vasilissa the Beautiful

Then suddenly the wood became full of a terrible noise; the trees began to groan, the branches to creak and the dry leaves to rustle, and the Baba Yaga came flying from the forest. She was riding in a great iron mortar and driving it with the pestle, and as she came she swept away her trail behind her with a kitchen broom.

Spell-soaked herbs and flowers, cold iron, broom twigs, bundles of moss and patchouli root, and moth dust.

In the Imp: High pitched spicy floral, Gardenia at the front.

On Me: If you've ever smelled a straw broom, it's that, plus a bit of Gardenia, and a lot of green garden herbs and a sprinkle of spice. After it dries and is fully warmed, it has a damp, earthy undertone from the Patchouli and Moss joining the flowers. The dust note peeking through had me surprised.
Though not listed as a note, I get a metallic tang as well, threaded through to add to it.

Twenty minutes later, it's a spicy earthy herbal gardenia decorated besom broom with a neat metallic threads joining it.
Last edited by DinkyInky on Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

watching, watching...
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

TazManiac wrote:watching, watching...
Sorry, RL issues hit, and I forgot to post it. It's there now.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

--Safyr Drathmir
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

:D
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

TazManiac wrote::D
Whatcha think?

If you really want to make it realistic, you can get this, and use the bonus squee.

I'll let you know how it is if I get to review the scents soon...just because.

--Safyr Drathmir
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

DinkyInky wrote:f you really want to make it realistic, you can get this, and use the bonus squee.
Beats children parmesan, I guess... :)
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Just Old Al wrote:
DinkyInky wrote:If you really want to make it realistic, you can get this, and use the bonus squee.
*Whack! Whack!* Do behave.

--Safyr Drathmir
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

DinkyInky wrote:
Just Old Al wrote:
DinkyInky wrote:If you really want to make it realistic, you can get this, and use the bonus squee.
Yer supposed to have applied any whacking toward myself, I suppose, as I'm the most likely present to have expressed my admiration in an Internet-carnality-dancing-the-limits-and tripping-over-the limits-of-propriety type fashion...

That said, have I supposed to have been sniffing & snuffling something?

'cause i like sniffling & snuffling...
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

DinkyInky wrote:
Just Old Al wrote:
TazManiac wrote:Yer supposed to have applied any whacking toward myself, I suppose, as I'm the most likely present to have expressed my admiration in an Internet-carnality-dancing-the-limits-and tripping-over-the limits-of-propriety type fashion...

That said, have I supposed to have been sniffing & snuffling something?

'cause I like sniffling & snuffling...
Nope. The wretched Pixie I think likes whacking Al with blueprints tubes. Probably as much as she likes dueling with practitioners of the Weed-whacker Style Anything-Goes School of Martial Arts.

--Safyr Drathmir
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

DinkyInky wrote:Nope. The wretched Pixie I think likes whacking Al with blueprints tubes. Probably as much as she likes dueling with practitioners of the Weed-whacker Style Anything-Goes School of Martial Arts.
BRRRRUUUNNN NIN NIN nin nin...

And what you meant to call it was the English Weedeater School of Tai Chi. It's all about throttle control.
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Just Old Al wrote:
DinkyInky wrote:Nope. The wretched Pixie I think likes whacking Al with blueprints tubes. Probably as much as she likes dueling with practitioners of the Weed-whacker Style Anything-Goes School of Martial Arts.
BRRRRUUUNNN NIN NIN nin nin...

And what you meant to call it was the English Weedeater School of Tai Chi. It's all about throttle control.
I said what I said. Lessee if anyone noticed what I meant.

--Safyr Drathmir
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

"Off with his Ankles!"

DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

TazManiac wrote:"Off with his Ankles!"

Cute, but not it.

--Safyr Drathmir
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

I didn't really think so, I was just wing'n it...