1989 Ford Lariat 4x4 pickup wont sip gas...

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Typeminer

Re: 1989 Ford Lariat 4x4 pickup wont sip gas...

Post by Typeminer »

I remember those external voltage regulators. I think I still have one in a closet here somewhere. :roll:

AMC used Ford parts for that stuff, and I had a 1973 Ambassador (a car so desirable it was given away twice) and a 1976 E150 panel van (6-cylinder 300 with 3-on-the-tree manual shift) that both had them.

They both had weird starting problems, too, and I finally figured out it was a bad ground with the van.

The old folks taught us that the first thing to try when any voltage regulator was suspect was percussive adjustment. :mrgreen:
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Funny you should mention that; I found a Ground Strap that was not at all tight, supposedly double nutted on a stud holding the Intake Manifold and the Block together. It had to b just rattling around and sparking the whole time. The second nut meant to hold the strap in pace was cross-threaded or just the wrong pitch. I've since reattached the damn thing to another stud...
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Typeminer, I won't ask if you still have said Ambassador, because I know what happened to 90% of all AMC products of that vintage.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

jwhouk wrote:Typeminer, I won't ask if you still have said Ambassador, because I know what happened to 90% of all AMC products of that vintage.
I gave it to my brother in 1980. He fixed whatever was wrong with it that time (I think it was the whole exhaust system aft of the manifold) and drove if for awhile, then dumped it. I forget what it was that pushed him over the edge with it. I've had worse cars, but it was a huge, weird car.
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

TazManiac wrote:Funny you should mention that; I found a Ground Strap that was not at all tight, supposedly double nutted on a stud holding the Intake Manifold and the Block together. It had to b just rattling around and sparking the whole time. The second nut meant to hold the strap in pace was cross-threaded or just the wrong pitch. I've since reattached the damn thing to another stud...
A huge improvement, I'm sure!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

jwhouk wrote:Typeminer, I won't ask if you still have said Ambassador, because I know what happened to 90% of all AMC products of that vintage.
I swear having seen them for myself that they didn't start with sheet steel but with the hardboard metal equivalent - compressed rust. Lovely cars (I have a fond spot for the Javelin) but truly poorly made. Pity, as AMC had some fantastic styling ideas (not the Pacer).
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."