Forum upgrade going to happen

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Bookworm

Forum upgrade going to happen

Post by Bookworm »

In the next couple of days, there will be at least one downtime as I take down the whole board, and upgrade to the latest revision of PHPBB

Some of the modifications added may disappear, as this is a major upgrade path that I'd been avoiding. However, as there have been some issues with registration, it's now time.

Feel free to add questions/comments/requests into this thread. I'll probably do the upgrade Saturday or Sunday, rather than in the middle of the week.

BW
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
jwhouk

Re: Forum upgrade going to happen

Post by jwhouk »

Bookworm wrote:Some of the modifications added may disappear, as this is a major upgrade path that I'd been avoiding. However, as there have been some issues with registration, it's now time.
What kind of mods are we talking?
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

jwhouk wrote:
Bookworm wrote:Some of the modifications added may disappear, as this is a major upgrade path that I'd been avoiding. However, as there have been some issues with registration, it's now time.
What kind of mods are we talking?
Right, yeah... what are you expecting will break? Or is that a tossup?
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Dave

Post by Dave »

The current contents of the Forum is expected to survive fairly well?
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

I made some small tweaks here and there a while back, and it's been so long, I don't remember them very well.

I think part of it was avatar size.

The contents of the forum should be fine, and anything that glitches afterwards, we'll work on it one thing at a time.

I'll definitely be removing the locks I have on the new user creation, as I suspect that's one of the things that'll break. (more)

Hopefully I can get a good image CAPTCHA going.
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

One thing I'd ask if it's possible is an image resize option when posting images?
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

jwhouk wrote:One thing I'd ask if it's possible is an image resize option when posting images?
That would be infinitely awesome.

I know it’s a bit much to ask this site to become an image hosting platforms as well as a forum, but if there were a way to compress images automatically down to an acceptable filesize, it’d be super user friendly, I think.
I'm too much!
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

We'll have to see how it goes. I'm working on getting things migrated to a new server, with more space and power. Once that's done, we can try to convince more people to come here to have conversations rather than doing the one day 'post a comment' on the web site and run away. I'll also see if I can do a broadcast mail to members saying "Hey, we're letting you know we've rebuilt, so come visit us"

I suspect there will be more options with the upgrade. I _could_ go to something like XenForo, but that's something to discuss later :)
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

XF has its plusses and minuses. Not sure if Pablo would want to foot the bill for their software, though - from another forum I frequent, it can get pricey when you include add-ons.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

I truly hope this isn't going to be as bad as the upgrade to "NapalmLuck", the "Misfile" board.

That was bad enough BEFORE the latest upgrade but not is sucks dead pangolin through a bendy straw with rotten eggs on the side.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

I'll have backups.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

How'll we know the upgrade has happened?
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

(when monday's comic doesn't post...) :P
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

TazManiac wrote:(when monday's comic doesn't post...) :P
Bite your tongue, man! Remember the insanity in the last drought...
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Just Old Al wrote:
TazManiac wrote:(when monday's comic doesn't post...) :P
Bite your tongue, man! Remember the insanity in the last drought...
Yes, do tell us how much you disliked the shenanigans wrought from that drought.

I'm waiting.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

One other thing I'd like to see in WSF 2.0 - the ability to use keyboard shortcuts in posts. Right now, Ctrl+B opens my bookmarks instead of starting bold formatting.
Dave

Post by Dave »

DinkyInky wrote:
Just Old Al wrote:Bite your tongue, man! Remember the insanity in the last drought...
Yes, do tell us how much you disliked the shenanigans wrought from that drought.

I'm waiting.
The coffeemaker in the Otherspace club meeting room has yet to recover. I fear I may need to bring in a drum of neat hydrogen peroxide to burn off the residue that ended up stuck to the bottom when we all dashed of the room in a terrible hurry (in a very good cause) and forgot to turn off the heat and rinse it properly.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

I haven't forgotten. I just haven't been home. Two days of networking installation does that.

The main site won't be affected. I run the forum as a different subdomain for a reason.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Dave wrote:
DinkyInky wrote:
Just Old Al wrote:Bite your tongue, man! Remember the insanity in the last drought...

I'm waiting.
The coffeemaker in the Otherspace club meeting room has yet to recover. I fear I may need to bring in a drum of neat hydrogen peroxide to burn off the residue that ended up stuck to the bottom when we all dashed of the room in a terrible hurry (in a very good cause) and forgot to turn off the heat and rinse it properly.
The whole fanon universe came out of that single hiatus.

Good gravy, we’re junkies, aren’t we?
I'm too much!
Dave

Post by Dave »

GlytchMeister wrote:The whole fanon universe came out of that single hiatus.

Good gravy, we’re junkies, aren’t we?
Well, there were actually two interludes. The first long one (when Pablo moved, I believe) was what let the genie out of the bottle. We wrapped that one up in good order, as I recall, at Pablo's anointed time of return. The second one, during one of his shorter hiatuses (hiatii?) was the one we cut short for good and sufficient reason, and left the coffeemaker running.

(We're just lucky that the coffee residue in the pot didn't cook off, detonate, and take out half of Otherspace Minneapolis. Some of us do prefer our brew a touch on the strong side...)

Yes, we're definitely junkies. :)