Anyone Want Some Grapefruit?

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

jwhouk

Re: Anyone Want Some Grapefruit?

Post by jwhouk »

Next big fertilizing isn't until Labor Day or so. I plan to water every weekend for 30 minutes, each tree.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

jwhouk wrote:Next big fertilizing isn't until Labor Day or so. I plan to water every weekend for 30 minutes, each tree.
If you plan to do that as a Druidic sacrament, you'll have a real reason to look forward to the weekend. I could never hold out that long. :mrgreen:
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Typeminer wrote:
jwhouk wrote:Next big fertilizing isn't until Labor Day or so. I plan to water every weekend for 30 minutes, each tree.
If you plan to do that as a Druidic sacrament, you'll have a real reason to look forward to the weekend. I could never hold out that long. :mrgreen:
My bladder won't last that long either.
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Ew. NO. Bad enough the water here has high salt content...
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

UPDATE: We have buds on the Grapefruit Tree!

TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

(Well, Of Course You Do...) ;)
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

No, I do not have an acacia tree on my lot.

Well, not that I know of, anyway...
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

She likes to hang out in the foliage, but then you went and had it pruned back a bit...
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

The latest of the tree (link because photo's big)
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

jwhouk wrote:The latest of the tree (link because photo's big)
Did you remember to make an appropriate sacrifice to the dryad?
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Ialin laughed when I asked for help with them.
Dave

Post by Dave »

jwhouk wrote:Ialin laughed when I asked for help with them.
Well, you might have skipped the suggestion that you make an offering of some rare old Scotch... after running through your kidneys. :mrgreen:
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Imma gonna have a lot more free time to water the trees.

As a school bus driver, you don't have very much to do when the teachers decide to walk out.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

"Solidarity!", cause 'Reasons!'
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Truth is, the teachers are actually out for more than just raises. They want the money the legislature was supposed to spend on Education for the last several years - about US$1 billion. That money is supposed to go to schmucks like me who drive the buses, or aides, or other support staff.

Meanwhile: I got a cheapo sprinkler that works great for the two trees.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

jwhouk wrote:Truth is, the teachers are actually out for more than just raises. They want the money the legislature was supposed to spend on Education for the last several years - about US$1 billion. That money is supposed to go to schmucks like me who drive the buses, or aides, or other support staff.
That sounds reasonable to me... starting the day all the other staff get laid off and teachers take over their duties.

(From another story: the pointy end of the spear is important, but take away the spear-shaft behind it and it's just an unusually lousy knife.)
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Warrl wrote:
jwhouk wrote:Truth is, the teachers are actually out for more than just raises. They want the money the legislature was supposed to spend on Education for the last several years - about US$1 billion. That money is supposed to go to schmucks like me who drive the buses, or aides, or other support staff.
That sounds reasonable to me... starting the day all the other staff get laid off and teachers take over their duties.

(From another story: the pointy end of the spear is important, but take away the spear-shaft behind it and it's just an unusually lousy knife.)
Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think he might have meant they’re speaking on behalf of the support staff too. It sounds like all that education money went completely elsewhere (I’ll lay odds it ended up in lawmaker’s pockets, but that might just be the Illinoisan in me talking). So they’re walking out and won’t come back until they AND the aides and bus drivers and whatnot get their money.

If all the janitors walked out, they’d just hire a janitorial subcontractor company. If all the bus drivers walked out, they’d probably just have aides drive the buses or something. But all the teachers walking out? That actually completely defeats the purpose of the school. Students don’t come in, parents start making grumbly noises because education is not happening and now I gotta watch the dang kid instead of go to work, and there’s no way the admin can fill in for all the teachers and keep the students under control. Especially in schools with a high student/teacher ratio.

Teachers walking out can actually have a rapid, acute effect on economy because now a bunch of parents have to find a way to keep their kids supervised, which either involves babysitters or not going to work, which also cuts down on tax revenue. And all of this has major effects on voting patterns.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

You're pretty much on the nose with that. The truth is that about a billion US$ in funding that was supposed to be used for education got diverted to other things - including tax cuts after tax cuts.

The result is that Arizona is pretty much near the bottom in spending on education. And even though our current governor is touting a plan that gets 20% increase in pay by 2020, it's an elaborate game of "Kick the Can" that makes assumptions about the increase in revenues that may or may not come about (especially if the economy tanks because of... well, I won't get into it, but things at the Federal level). And there are at least two other plans (a statewide ballot measure, for one, and a sales tax increase, for another) that no one is sure will either work - or be acceptable.

Bottom line is that I'm home for a while.

And it has been confirmed: I have found at least three or four beginnings of fruit on the grapefruit tree!
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

April Showers bring Grapefruit Flowers!
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Dave wrote:
jwhouk wrote:Ialin laughed when I asked for help with them.
Well, you might have skipped the suggestion that you make an offering of some rare old Scotch... after running through your kidneys. :mrgreen:
Ialin wrote:If you had asked me the right questions the first time, I wouldn't have laughed.
Thing is, there are no shortcuts. By taking care of the land, everything will come back slowly.
A good arborist will help that process, which you have already seen, and you will see the benefit sooner than you think, so be patient.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir