Anyone Want Some Grapefruit?

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

jwhouk

Re: Anyone Want Some Grapefruit?

Post by jwhouk »

I already am seeing the fruits of labor. Literally. There are very small grapefruits starting to form on the tree. Haven't seen anything on the orange tree, yet, but it's more or less a bush at the present time.

I'm making sure to keep them watered.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

What grapefruits? All I see are limes! :P :mrgreen:
Dave

Post by Dave »

lake_wrangler wrote:What grapefruits? All I see are limes! :P :mrgreen:
Citron down and wait a while - they'll get bigger.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

What? Did my comment leave a sour taste in your mouth?

I know: let's do a fund-raising concert, and we'll use the proceeds to buy fertilizer to promote your whatever-they-are's growth...

We'll call it: "Lemon-aid" :lol:
Dave

Post by Dave »

lake_wrangler wrote:What? Did my comment leave a sour taste in your mouth?

I know: let's do a fund-raising concert, and we'll use the proceeds to buy fertilizer to promote your whatever-they-are's growth...

We'll call it: "Lemon-aid" :lol:
Heh.

In my first job out of college, I was working for a mainframe manufacturer, helping develop the next generation operating system. Party of my job was to develop some utilities which would help customers identify just which programs they were running, how often, so they'd know which ones to start on first when translating to the new operating system and programming language.

The executable program files on that system were called "load modules".

I developed a combination of a kernel monitoring patch to the load module startup and shutdown logic, which generated some logs, and a user-mode program which captured that log information and wrote it to disk. Naturally I called the Load Module Monitor program LMMON, and the kernel patch which enabled it was LMMONAID.

Of course there had to be a program to read the recorded data, summarize and sort it and do some analysis, and print it out the results in human readable form. The program to List Your Monitoring Experience was thus LYME.

The division head of software development looked at this, grinned, said "Ok" and then introduced the whole package to the user-community conference as I had named it... I recall it got quite a chuckle.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

lake_wrangler wrote:What grapefruits? All I see are limes! :P :mrgreen:
Here ya go! Dab a little white-out on the screen over the little green proto-grapefruit, color with yellow, use magnifying glass to enlarge to visualize ripe grapefruit! Easy! :D
IMG_3433.JPG
IMG_3433.JPG (54.23 KiB) Viewed 16359 times
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Welp. Looks like I'll have at least one more day to monitor the trees. Teachers are still on strike/walked out here in AZ because the legislature refuses to pass a budget on time.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Guess what guys?

It's monsoon season.

Unfortunately, all the drought we had has caused me to lose about two or three of the branches on the grapefruit tree. Despite the rain that just blew through here (and I do mean BLEW; there was a torrential river flowing down my street outside the house), I don't think I'm going to be able to have much of a grapefruit crop this year.

As an aside: MAN they weren't kidding about monsoon season around here! First came the dust, then the wind, then BOOM! I'd almost swear it was a hurricane-level thunderstorm that blew through here. And it completely threw my normal, Midwest "storms come from the north and west" normal out of whack.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

You didn’t get violent storms like that up north?

I had one like that a week or so ago.
I'm too much!
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

We got them, but you generally had a bigger "heads up" than here. When the monsoon comes in, it comes in hard and fast.

And come to think of it, no we didn't get a dust storm before we got a severe thunderstorm up in Wisconsin. Usually it just started raining.

And raining, and raining...
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

No dust storms in Central IL, but we do get popcorn storms, some of which can have sustained winds around 50mph.

The real threat is when they start to spin.
I'm too much!
Dave

Post by Dave »

GlytchMeister wrote:No dust storms in Central IL, but we do get popcorn storms, some of which can have sustained winds around 50mph.

The real threat is when they start to spin.
I imagine that tends to spray artificially-butter-flavored grease all over the place. You could die o' diacetyl.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

The problem is here in the Valley that storms come from the east, ostensibly ones coming from the gulf and up the Rio Grande valley into the borderlands, then up and over and down.

And by the time they get to us, they've taken most of the loose dirt and dust and made it the trailing edge of the storm.

So we have wind, then dust, then rain. And in monsoon rain, it gets near horizontal.

In addition, we have trees that have had to hold on to any water they could find, and when that first wave of wind came around, they snapped like a toothpick. This caused the power outage that saw my wife's daycare close down for the day today, because the main church building where they have half the classrooms was without power. And that is not a good thing when it's still in the low 90's and we now have humidity levels around 50%.
ShneekeyTheLost

Post by ShneekeyTheLost »

Yea, you probably just got the rest of what was left of the tropical depression that blew through here last week. Followed I-10 all the way your way.

The other weather formation you'll want to watch out for is out of the due West... those tend to roll over the Cascades, and dump on you on its way to Texas. There, it hits the gulf air, and gets deflected north by northeast up into Chicago. Of course, the collision of two warm and wet air masses produce some... spectacular weather displays.

The other OTHER weather pattern you want to watch out for is the one coming out of the Gulf of California, rolling up the Mexican coast and hitting you from the south-southeast.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Crickey. He’s in a bit of a crossfire, huh?
I'm too much!
Dave

Post by Dave »

GlytchMeister wrote:Crickey. He’s in a bit of a crossfire, huh?
A bit, yes. Rather like being in a shooting gallery, well populated by weather gods carrying repeating rifles, loaded with Minié balls made of solid ice.

And, of course, when they get tired of creating hail, they can always pick up flamethrowers.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Default setting 'round here is HOT.

But when the tropics start to get active, yes, we can get it from the south, the west, and the east.

There is a reason why they call it "Monsoon Season" around here.

---

I'm happy to report that my little lizard friend somehow managed to ride out that storm in our tree. I saw him this morning as I was trying to get some more water into my grapefruit tree.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

jwhouk wrote:Default setting 'round here is HOT.

But when the tropics start to get active, yes, we can get it from the south, the west, and the east.

There is a reason why they call it "Monsoon Season" around here.

---

I'm happy to report that my little lizard friend somehow managed to ride out that storm in our tree. I saw him this morning as I was trying to get some more water into my grapefruit tree.
Lizards are pretty amazing critters. Did you post a pic and I miss it?
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir