Kate's progress

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

AnotherFairportfan

Kate's progress

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

I got a PM tday, inquiring after how things were going with Kate's recovery. I was embarrassed to realise that i haven't been keeping people up to date.

So, herewith, the text of my reply, plus a few other things:
Actually, things are getting better - gradually and slowly, but better. Sorry i didn't do an update or two.

When she started with physical/occupational therapy (three times a week until last week), they rated her condition/capabilities at 13 on whatever scale they use.

Last week they re-rated her at twenty-eight.

If the scale goes to a hundred, this is Good.

If the scale goes to a thousand or is open-ended or exponential, it's still Not Bad.

Anyway - she has gotten to the point that she can {with difficulty and using a walker} walk the forty-some feet from her bedroom to the outside door instead of having to be pushed in a wheelchair. This is Good, because there are four doors to pass through and two of them - the bedroom door and the garage door - are too narrow for the wheelchair, necessitating standing and moving around anyway.

Her mother just gifted her with an electric-powered recliner/lift chair, which is much more comfortable than the wheelchair, and make sit a lot easier for her to stand up.

She got a brace for her bad leg - of the type that those of us from the last polio generation were all-too-familiar with - which is part of why she can walk so much more.

I'll be posting this, plus some other stuff, on the board.

===============

She's getting better.

I, OTOH, am perpetually on the edge of falling apart, what with my long-standing clinical depression, worrying about Kate, and cabin fever, since i really can't be away from the house for long at a time.

More about that, too.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
TazManiac

Re: Kate's progress

Post by TazManiac »

Good news is Good News.

and since life might not always be good news, we're here for that too.

Shoehorn in a calm, reflective 'doing-absolutly-Nothing-right-now' cup of tea in there from time to time.