Question about Phone Cases

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

scantrontb

Re: Question about Phone Cases

Post by scantrontb »

lake_wrangler wrote:I have to admit, though, that I find it hard to believe the number of privileges some apps ask for, that, to me, seem completely unrelated to anything the app is actually made to do...
yeah, i know that routine... i once had a pretty cool looking flashlight app on mine, and i could not believe that it NEEDED access to my EMAIL and address book, my GPS location, AND had the need to make and or receive PHONE CALLS... WTF!! a frickin' FLASHLIGHT!!, yeah, as soon as i saw those req's i deleted it asap...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
Dave

Post by Dave »

scantrontb wrote:yeah, i know that routine... i once had a pretty cool looking flashlight app on mine, and i could not believe that it NEEDED access to my EMAIL and address book, my GPS location, AND had the need to make and or receive PHONE CALLS... WTF!! a frickin' FLASHLIGHT!!, yeah, as soon as i saw those req's i deleted it asap...
From what I've read, getting access to all of that contact information (and feeding it back to external servers) is often the real purpose for which those apps were written. The user-visible features... flashlights and games and so forth... are just the bait intended to lure you into installing the app.

In short, you are not the customer. You are the product being sold.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

1) Most cases I've seen that some sort of claim towards water resistance are two piece with a gasket (o-ring) between the front and back halves.

2) If you really need waterproof you could strap on one of those Inductive Recharging packs to the back and seal the whole (now slightly thicker) package. Recharge station does so by a laying of the phone-in-case upon it, other wise go jump in the pool & text away, underwater.