"a place to dance"

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

AnotherFairportfan

"a place to dance"

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

The late SF author John M Ford wrote a poem called “110 Stories”, composed of one line quotes from countless sources after 9/11.

The last line is “this is new york. we’ll find a place to dance.”
cjones11_03.jpg
cjones11_03.jpg (103.62 KiB) Viewed 5377 times
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
GlytchMeister

Re: "a place to dance"

Post by GlytchMeister »

Either this illustrates a failure to responsibly react to the event that exposed the problem of keeping bikers safe from traffic, or it illustrates the failure of the terrorist to terrorize.

I'm not sure which.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
AnotherFairportfan

GlytchMeister wrote:Either this illustrates a failure to responsibly react to the event that exposed the problem of keeping bikers safe from traffic, or it illustrates the failure of the terrorist to terrorize.

I'm not sure which.
The latter. Blitz mentality.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Dave

Post by Dave »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:The late SF author John M Ford wrote a poem called “110 Stories”, composed of one line quotes from countless sources after 9/11.
Darn... I hadn't heard that Ford passed away.

I quite enjoyed The Final Reflection - an interesting slant on the Klingons, with one scene that almost had me in tears with laughter. "Yes, our scientists will be very interested in your transporter system. They will want to know why it makes such a dreadful noise."
AnotherFairportfan

Dave wrote:
AnotherFairportfan wrote:The late SF author John M Ford wrote a poem called “110 Stories”, composed of one line quotes from countless sources after 9/11.

I quite enjoyed The Final Reflection - an interesting slant on the Klingons, with one scene that almost had me in tears with laughter. "Yes, our scientists will be very interested in your transporter system. They will want to know why it makes such a dreadful noise."
I actually haven't read that one. My first wife told me it was excellent.

OTOH, we both LOVED "How Much for Just the Planet?" - which pissed off a lot of Trekkies, got Ford banned from ever writing more Trek novels, an led Paramount to change the rules for the franchise.

If you look on Amazon, you cwn find a somewhat negative review of "Planet" by his ex-girlfriend from college days.
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
Dave wrote:

I actually haven't read that one. My first wife told me it was excellent.

OTOH, we both LOVED "How Much for Just the Planet?" - which pissed off a lot of Trekkies, got Ford banned from ever writing more Trek novels, an led Paramount to change the rules for the franchise.

If you look on Amazon, you cwn find a somewhat negative review of "Planet" by his ex-girlfriend from college days.
Reviews be damned - loved both of them, and sad to hear the author passed on. Still have my ratty paperback copies hereabouts in my library.
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:Either this illustrates a failure to responsibly react to the event that exposed the problem of keeping bikers safe from traffic, or it illustrates the failure of the terrorist to terrorize.

I'm not sure which.
The latter. Blitz mentality.
There are tales of some Londoners who, with suitable alcoholic reinforcement, took to the streets to watch the bombing. They reasoned they'd never notice if one hit them, so why not? It's not like they could sleep through it anyway.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
AnotherFairportfan

Atomic wrote:There are tales of some Londoners who, with suitable alcoholic reinforcement, took to the streets to watch the bombing. They reasoned they'd never notice if one hit them, so why not? It's not like they could sleep through it anyway.
"Hush! Here comes a whizbang..."
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

I knew Jon Ford had passed. Would have loved to have met him. How Much For Just The Planet? was my muse for writing stuff of my own.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
AnotherFairportfan

I did meet him once in the 80s. I wish i could remember what we talked about, because i DO remember it was Interesting and Witty.