DNS weirdness

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

AnotherFairportfan

DNS weirdness

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

For a while there i was having problems accessing this forum - i could get the comic fine, but the browser would tell me it couldn't find the domain for this page.

Which is weird, since it's the same domain.

The same thing was also happening with a couple of other comics.

So i decided to change my DNS to OpenDNS ... and, Viola! The trick she is done!

There they were...
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Atomic

Re: DNS weirdness

Post by Atomic »

ipconfig/flushdns didn't work?

I kind of wonder about an OpenDNS home page that requires several dozen NoScript permissions and AdBlock turned off, and you still can't watch the "All About Us" movie!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Funny, I set up a 'pc' on a shared network, then in a quick config to assign it a static IP I rendered it un-routable outside the building. <--- I'm a 'Pro-fessional'...

Since it's main function is to only deal with other machines on this side of the firewall, I left it. until tomorrow when I'll spend enough seconds to configure it properly.

Or maybe not...

(Edit, to update and also fix grammar errors...)
I've left it as is; it's working for what I need it to do, so...
Last edited by TazManiac on Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

TazManiac wrote:Funny, I set up a 'pc' on a shared network, then in a quit config to assign it a static IP I rendered unroutable outside the building. Since it's main function is to only deal with other machines on this side of the firewall, I left it. until tomorrow when I'll spend enough seconds to configure it properly.

Or maybe not...
All together now... "Subnet Mask!"

There - feel better?

My Deviant Art scribbles
Dave

Post by Dave »

You just have to invoke the benevolent spirit of the patron saint of joke phone-calls:. IP Freely.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Dave wrote:You just have to invoke the benevolent spirit of the patron saint of joke phone-calls:. IP Freely.
I'm happy to confirm; my refrigerator is running....

My Deviant Art scribbles
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

Atomic wrote:
Dave wrote:You just have to invoke the benevolent spirit of the patron saint of joke phone-calls:. IP Freely.
So, is Prince Albert still in the can?
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Typeminer wrote:
Atomic wrote:
Yeah, and he's very uncomfortable. They put the can on the shelf upside down, and now his nose is running and his feet smell.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Typeminer wrote:
Atomic wrote:
And he smokes rather well.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

I am SO lost...
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

GlytchMeister wrote:I am SO lost...
Prince Albert was a popular brand of pipe tobacco.

Prank caller: "Do you have Prince Albert in a can?"

Storekeeper: "We sure do!"

Prank caller: "Well, you better let him out! Bwahaha!" *Hangup*
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

GlytchMeister wrote:I am SO lost...
Be grateful for that state in this case, for these are jokes that are ancient and worthy of only muted groans from those who do understand.

Prince Albert was a real prince and also had a tobacco brand named after him. The product was sold in a can. You take it from there.

I recall I. P. Freely as a book and author joke series; "Yellow River", by I.P. Freely, "Under the Bleachers", by Seymour Butts, etc.

Back in the age of rotary dial telephones, wayward youth would prank call random numbers and ask things such as "Is your refrigerator running?" If the unlucky recipient of the call answered yes, the prankster would tell them to go catch it.

I think Dave must have written an encyclopedia on the subjects of bad jokes and puns. He does have quite a repertoire. Scary thing is, I've heard most of them or understand them... must be due to spending several of my formative years living in the Los Angeles area.
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

Hansontoons wrote:I think Dave must have written an encyclopedia on the subjects of bad jokes and puns. He does have quite a repertoire. Scary thing is, I've heard most of them or understand them... must be due to spending several of my formative years living in the Los Angeles area.
Well, I grew up in Northern Greater Appalachia. My mom always said it was because of Jay Ward Productions. :mrgreen:
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

And of course, there's always a Simpsons reference: Moe Answers the Phone

My Deviant Art scribbles
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Typeminer wrote:
Hansontoons wrote:I think Dave must have written an encyclopedia on the subjects of bad jokes and puns. He does have quite a repertoire. Scary thing is, I've heard most of them or understand them... must be due to spending several of my formative years living in the Los Angeles area.
Well, I grew up in Northern Greater Appalachia. My mom always said it was because of Jay Ward Productions. :mrgreen:
He's not too shabby around a filk either, but a still a while yet til he hits Shneekey's level. I'm probably about halfway to it, and I've been trying for nearly as long as I've known him.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
Dave

Post by Dave »

I haven't written any books on the subject, but I did read quite a few while at an impressionable age. :D So, yes, I reference and honor some of the really classic groaners, which date back at least to my parents' generation and probably before.
Typeminer wrote:Well, I grew up in Northern Greater Appalachia. My mom always said it was because of Jay Ward Productions. :mrgreen:
Oh yes indeed! Jay Ward, Bill Scott, June Foray... exposure to their work certainly shaped my sense of humor (my family would probably say "warped it beyond saving, into something that Dali and Lovecraft together couldn't have dreamed up in their worst fever delerium.")
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

Dave wrote: Oh yes indeed! Jay Ward, Bill Scott, June Foray... exposure to their work certainly shaped my sense of humor (my family would probably say "warped it beyond saving, into something that Dali and Lovecraft together couldn't have dreamed up in their worst fever delerium.")
Not to mention Charles Addams... :)
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

ps- There was another great classic by a noted author; 'Rusty Bedsprings' by I. P. Nightly.

Also, the great Noir tome: '50 Yard Dash to the Outhouse at Midnight', co-authored by Willy Makeit & Betty Dont.

(drops a large sized pad of construction paper & a big handful of those really thick pencils into the Pun Jar...)

ShneekeyTheLost

Post by ShneekeyTheLost »

Wierd Al did a video called 'Phoney Calls' which addressed this topic as well.