Ummm ... Yuck?

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

GlytchMeister

Re: Ummm ... Yuck?

Post by GlytchMeister »

I've never eaten anything with tentacles that tasted good. Including at upscale seafood places that I'm pretty sure knew how to properly prepare octopus and squid.

Invertebrates are one of the "only in survival situations" food groups for me. There might be some exceptions but I can't think of any.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

I don't know; I've had Tako in Sushi restaurants. By the time the Sushi chef gets to actually serving some stuff, it's very different- Mackerel [saba] for example is often a bit pickled before serving. And Eel is almost always bar-b-q'd prior to the guest getting it on a plate.

Also, Squid (and Octopus) when done Calamari style is very non-objectionable, esp w/ a good dipping sauce or three to go with.

That said, the best tentacle dining experience I ever had didn't actually have an tentacles at all; it was a thick slab of lightly sautéed Squid (Calamari) Steak; not coated or anything, just cooked juuuuuust enough to make it not-raw but not too much to make it rubbery as previously described.

But, to each his own; I have a hard time w/ Scrambled Eggs, so...
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Cephalopods are on my do-not-eat list, along with cetaceans, primates, pachyderms, corvids, and parrots, because of too high a chance of sapience in those families.

However, that sort of line is something everyone has to define for themselves, and as long as people keep the only species we're reasonably sure is sapient off the menu I won't argue.

(Please note "sapience" not "sentience". A gazillion or so species are definitely known to be sentient. Not all of them are animals.)
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Yeah, sentience is just the possession of senses. You'd think, when people write science fiction, they'd be smart enough to get it right.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Alkarii wrote:Yeah, sentience is just the possession of senses. You'd think, when people write science fiction, they'd be smart enough to get it right.
Perhaps we can blame the schools. They just don't teach the language as well as they used to... proper grammar, spelling, and nuance have all been drowned out by least-common-denominator TV-speak. Learning how to make a coherent argument for (or against) anything, is almost a lost art.

It's no wonder many people aren't familiar with sentience structure .
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

GlytchMeister wrote:YES I'M WILLING TO BREAK ALL OF THE LAWS OF PHYSICS TO UNCREATE THAT MONSTROSITY. YES I AM GOING TO THROW MY ENTIRE LAB AT IT.
If you strike it down, it shall come back more powerful than you can possibly imagine. And also have the contents of your lab in its possession.
GlytchMeister wrote:Oh hell, the thought of that being eaten... ugh... I'm physically nauseated.
Yeah, at least wait until it's been cooked. Otherwise it has a really weird consistency when you chew it, and the tentacles might wiggle too much.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

If something can survive chemical, nuclear, and antimatter annhilation, and come back from beyond the universe's ragged edge, it's already way more powerful than I could ever imagine.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
Dave

Post by Dave »

GlytchMeister wrote:If something can survive chemical, nuclear, and antimatter annhilation, and come back from beyond the universe's ragged edge, it's already way more powerful than I could ever imagine.
It won't necessarily come back here, to our universe.

The energy you dump in that fashion, might "seed" another Big Bang and inflation event, somewhere/somewhen within the Multiverse (if phrases like that are even meaningful). A whole new time-line and universe may evolve from that.

So, by getting rid of a turkraken in this fashion, you may be creating the opportunity for yet another universe in which there will, someday, be another incarnation of The Real Housewives of New Jersey.

Personally, I think that being soul-flayed by an Elder God, while being forced to eat under-done turkraken, would be preferable... but that's just me.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

GlytchMeister wrote:If something can survive chemical, nuclear, and antimatter annhilation, and come back from beyond the universe's ragged edge, it's already way more powerful than I could ever imagine.
If you throw it out beyond time and space, and then it manages to come back in, it could end up anywhere and anywhen. It could show up years ago, or tomorrow. It could appear in Bucharest, or behind you while you're showering. It could even turn out to be one of your ancestors.