Goddamn Georgia Power

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

AnotherFairportfan

Goddamn Georgia Power

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

So, our power has been on just fine since Tuesday, okay? Even though there was a tree down across the line?

This afternoon, Georgia Power and a tree service turned up, cleared the tree from the line ... and left us with no power.

Us and one or two other houses.

All around us are houses with lights on, all of the street lights are on ... but not us nor the other two houses on tbe corner of Old Lakeview and Fairview.

I called their automated outage line, and it said that the power will be restored by 10PM ... on the 17th.

HELLO?!?

I've talked to two customer service reps, one of whom just said "There must be a good reason" and one of whom jhst said "Gee, I don't know ... I'll report it."

So right now i'm sitting in the car charging Kate's and my phones.

THIS IS RIDICULOUS, PEOPLE!!!
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Atomic

Re: Goddamn Georgia Power

Post by Atomic »

Once upon a time something similar happened to my house. Tree limbs after an ice storm across the lines, but power still on. One transformer fed the four houses from that pole. It turned out the shorting from the limbs baked the transformer but not enough to blow it out completely. So it had to be replaced before it had a spectacular failure in the near future.

Your folks may be short on transformers, or the backlog is significant.

Good luck!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
AnotherFairportfan

Power came back on at about 1800 EDT Friday, 15 September - despite the fact that Georgia Power's automated outage line was still saying "...by ten PM September 16th..."
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:Power came back on at about 1800 EDT Friday, 15 September - despite the fact that Georgia Power's automated outage line was still saying "...by ten PM September 16th..."
Well, they made it with 20 hours to spare. Good for them.

If they are smart, they are scheduling things to take longer than they ought to take - because they sometimes do.
AnotherFairportfan

Warrl wrote:
AnotherFairportfan wrote:Power came back on at about 1800 EDT Friday, 15 September - despite the fact that Georgia Power's automated outage line was still saying "...by ten PM September 16th..."

If they are smart, they are scheduling things to take longer than they ought to take - because they sometimes do.
As of a couple hours ago, it STILL said "...ten PM on the 16th..."
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
Warrl wrote:

As of a couple hours ago, it STILL said "...ten PM on the 16th..."
Updating the website to move repair-time estimates *earlier* is not at the top of the priority list. On the other hand, since the people who do that are not likely to be put to work actually fixing power lines, or helping diagnose where fixes are needed... or probably even manning phones...

Another possibility is that they haven't confirmed that your power is back. And they don't want to say they did it, until they know for sure that they did it.

And a third is that your power is back for now, but is going to go out again for a while as they replace some damaged-but-still-barely-functional piece of equipment.

If there are three plausible and sensible explanations, there are probably quite a few more.