Typing by candle light

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

AnotherFairportfan

Typing by candle light

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

So I'm sitting here typing by the light of four - well, three-and-a-half - little votive candles.

Power's Ben out for a couple of hours. It was pretty damned windy for awhile - a broken tree branch (apparently) broke the window at the head of our bed. Luckily not too much glass fell inside, and we were able to get a trash bag over it to keep rain and wind out.

Kate's sitting inner wheelchair watching the weather and Steve has borrowed our car to go reconnoiter whether Helen will be able to get home from work okay. {Last word from her we had, the manager was going to shut the place up and send everyone home I've power wasn't on over there by six PM - which was fifteen minutes ago. Helen and Steve both work for RiteAid, but at different stores.}

I'm typing on my tablet, using my phone's 4G WiFi hotspot to post.

I truly hate typing on this virtual keyboard, but the tablet's detachable keyboard/coveriseven worse - the damned touchpad makes any sort of actual "typing" impossible for someone who is used to a real keyboard; I kept hitting it with my thumb when I want the spacebar.

==============

Helen is home. Steve reports seeing Georgia Power crews at work.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Re: Typing by candle light

Post by AmriloJim »

Glad to hear you're moderately safe. I also despise typing on virtual keyboards... fat finger syndrome rules! Prayers and good vibes are offered on this end.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Keeping fingers crossed that things work out well for you and the other southeast-coastians.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Yeah, touching on the on-screen keyboard of ANY phone or tablet sucks. And that's even assuming you have a pretty good predictive dictionary at your disposal.

Stay safe. Maybe Hanners will let you borrow her cricket bat for potential troublemakers.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Well, aint try'n to top ya but my brother just called from the SF Bay Area and he said they'd just had Thunder & Lightening pass through, one step shy of hail stones.

I mean to couch this in term of it being sunny California, and Summer to boot... <-- (we het two seasons; Wet & Dry and its 'dry' right now...)
Dave

Post by Dave »

TazManiac wrote:Well, aint try'n to top ya but my brother just called from the SF Bay Area and he said they'd just had Thunder & Lightening pass through, one step shy of hail stones.

I mean to couch this in term of it being sunny California, and Summer to boot... <-- (we het two seasons; Wet & Dry and its 'dry' right now...)
Definitely true. I stepped out of my office just after six, looked at the windows and said "You have got to be kidding me!" Nope... it has been raining, and was still doing so. I definitely hadn't seen that coming.

On the drive north from Sunnyvale towards home, I saw quite a few lightning strikes... not just cloud to cloud, but cloud to ground. Something got hit... I hope it was just the Dumbarton bridge. Another rain shower just passed over... pretty loud on the roof of the house.

Figures... my wife flies out of town for a couple of weeks, and the very sky cries and storms at her absence. 8-)
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

My poor habanero.

Wind damage.

Lost a major branch, main stem bent way down.

I think it'll recover, though.

I picked the three ripe-looking pods, and several green ones off the broken branch - just to see if they're any use. Cut one, touched the cut and then touched it to the tip of my tongue. Not as hot as a ripe one, maybe, but definitely some heat there.

Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:My poor habanero.

Wind damage.

Lost a major branch, main stem bent way down.

I think it'll recover, though.
Try seeing if you can get the broken branch to take root, so you can have more plants!
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Four storm systems forming up near to California, one is being given an 80% chance to form up, one presently at 10%, one is a depression(Fifteen E), the other is TS Max, though Max is being projected to hit Mexico by late tonight.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir