21 August 2017 - Total Solar Eclipse

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Catawampus

Re: 21 August 2017 - Total Solar Eclipse

Post by Catawampus »

GlytchMeister wrote:
Dave wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:I stopped, grabbed my kit, and sprinted to the crash and washed out the deep cut with alcohol and pressed gauze to it, told his wife to maintain pressure while also keeping his head stable, in case he had a spinal injury. Had a couple bystanders keep the two other concussed people's heads and necks stable just as cops arrived (cops were everywhere yesterday, and boy did they have their hands full). Briefed the officers on who had sustained what injuries and told them what I saw, they called ambulances and told me I could go, as I didn't see enough for a solid witness statement.
Kudos, GM... well done! Put a gold star on your "civilian first responder" plaque!
No such thing as a former Boy Scout. :) And I'm just glad I was around to help.
Apparently I'm just a bit too calm and matter-of-fact in those sorts of situations, and it sometimes tends to creep people out. So now I feel a bit awkward when things like that happen, because I'm worrying a bit in the back of my mind about that sort of thing.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Here's another version of the same image I posted earlier... a slightly wider view, and de-noised after conversion from raw format.

I think I actually managed to get Mercury into the photo (small white dot to the lower left of the Sun). This is in the same position relative to the Sun in four different shots... and is not in the same location on the sensor... so I think it's real and not a "hot pixel".

http://www.radagast.org/~dplatt/eclipse ... _small.jpg

lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

That is one nice photo! Glad you were able to get that. (And nice job improving the quality over the first photo, in post-processing.)

Eclipse day was rather boring, for me: I happened to have a training session that day, from 7am to 3pm. (Securibus III, a course on how to diffuse and/or even avoid some unpleasant situations on the bus...) Even at the time of the eclipse itself, I didn't notice any darkening outside, through the window (we were only getting 58% coverage, in Montreal...)

When the training course was over, I went outside, and looked with my pinholed box, and saw barely a sliver of moon left over the sun. I did see in a video online, later, that a lot of people did have a lot of fun at the planetarium, watching the eclipse. I just wasn't among them.