Photobucket News

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Warrl

Re: Photobucket News

Post by Warrl »

Atomic wrote:Warrl -- that has me a bit concerned. If I'm understanding the method properly, the method archives the directory and presumes the target files still exist.
Not quite.

The method copies the directory, and compares the target file to the version of the target file that exists *in the previous backup*. If there is no previous backup, or if the file is new or altered, then it copies the file as well. Otherwise, the directory entry in the new backup will point at the same file as the previous backup.
If those files go away, then what?
Inherent in properly supporting multiple directory entries for a single file, the file remains for as long as there is at least one directory entry pointing at it. So deleting a file from one backup doesn't break other backups that point at it.

If a file no longer exists in the source area, no further backups of it occur. However the old ones remain unless the directory entries pointing at them are deleted.
Is the backup on another drive than the original?
It certainly should be. Although I've had to restore files due to user or operator error VASTLY more often than due to failed hardware.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

I use the free version of AOMEI Backupper.

I bdd occasion to restore the image i pulled last Wednesday earlier today {Friday} - worked like a charm.

And i'm just watcbing it doing a second image restore, because i decided that i din't trusf that drive any more and vot a replacement at Fry's.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:I use the free version of AOMEI Backupper.

I bdd occasion to restore the image i pulled last Wednesday earlier today {Friday} - worked like a charm.

And i'm just watching it doing a second image restore, because i decided that i din't trusf that drive any more and vot a replacement at Fry's.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Warrl - thanks for the explanation!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff