Holding their hand through the pain...

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

TazManiac

Holding their hand through the pain...

Post by TazManiac »

Wil Wheaton has a blog, and coming across it recently I found the following three entries, connected to each other through the narrative of experiencing his wife dealing with an ailment, his standing by in sickness & in health (but for real), and the funhouse that is Modern Medical Inc.

We start here, w/ a bolt from the blue:
http://wilwheaton.net/2017/06/thirty-six-hours/

But they send them Home, only to return to the ER:
http://wilwheaton.net/2017/06/eighteen-hours/

And the Arc curves on:
http://wilwheaton.net/2017/06/twenty-four-hours/

These entries are very personal, Mr. Wheaton is very illustrative with his experience & this will definitely work your feels and empathetic organs.

I don't have 'the one that got away' in my life (cause I'm stupid) but while reading these entries of his I knew exactly who's hand I'd have been holding throughout.

And it seems so inadequate to feel that all you can do is hold their hand... But it's still helping.

For all our friends who are, have before, and those of us yet to go through something like this with your 'someone', Strength and Love.
Atomic

Re: Holding their hand through the pain...

Post by Atomic »

Having had a torqued testicle, and passed two kidney stones (one each side), I can say with authority, Yes.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Dave

Post by Dave »

Whooo... did that ever stir up some memories... :shock:

He's a very expressive writer indeed.

I'm glad that theirs is a story which has ended well... one of those "it was a truly horrid experience, but could have been so much worse."
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

Going on seven (or is it eight?) kidney stnes and I cringed through reading all of that. Kudos to her for surviving it.
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

I understood this would hit close to home for many, and I'm sorry about that.

Latest report (cause it's good to follow up after dropping the Empathy-Radiation Bomb) is that Anne is home, and able to go for short walks and improving.

Now, go hug somebody...
Dave

Post by Dave »

TazManiac wrote:I understood this would hit close to home for many, and I'm sorry about that.
You say that as if it's a bad thing. I'm not at all sure that it is.

We'd all spare our loved ones this sort of pain, if we could... but that's sorta the point. Sometimes we can't. Sometimes, all we can do is help them through it. They pay a price, we pay a price... but that's just part of being human.

It's a stale cliche that "what doesn't destroy us, makes us stronger"... but it can be true, nevertheless. Equally important, is that times like this can help us realize that we're already strong enough, even if we didn't ever really know it because we'd never been put to the test before. And, I think that's true both for the one-who-hurts, and the one-who-holds-the-hand.
Now, go hug somebody...
Damn straight!