Worried about Kate

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

AnotherFairportfan

Worried about Kate

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Sitting here in the ER corridor, waiting for Kate to come back from aCAT scan.

I'm afraid she's having a stroke.

Typing on the phone is a pain, so the only updates i'll be posting until i get to the computer will be if things get worse.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Dave

Re: Worried about Kate

Post by Dave »

Oh man... not good...

I hope very much that it's something transient... blood vessel spasm or something like that.

My thoughts will be with you both. Hang in there and keep us advised...
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

Oh, gods. Surely hope it's something else.

Good you got her to the ER. Wishing you both luck and strength, man.
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
AnotherFairportfan

Looks like a stroke. Her right arm, leg and side of her face come in and out of function; she can't swallow.

Admitting to ICU.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Dave

Post by Dave »

:(
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Oh dear! Prayers and condolences for the work ahead. May all turn out well, and soon!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
AnotherFairportfan

Fuller:

At lunchfime, Kate found herself unable to use her right hand for a minute or so.

On the way back to work, she experienced some difficulties with her right leg.

I suggested a trip fo the Emergency Room, but she saidd she was all right,. She did, however, schedule a 9 AM appointment with Dr Fogarty for tomorrow. (Well, today, since it's past midnight.)

However, long about 8 PM while i was out running an errand, it came back more strongly, and, in addition she lost control of the right side of her face.

By the time i was home, ten .inutes later, she was again back to seeming normal, but she announced we were going to the ER.

It's now one AM, and she has been losing and regaining right-side function, with the losses seeming (to me) to be getting worse.

They've been periodically testing her memory, cognition and orientation, and she's not losing any of that (Yet, anyway, the pessimistic side of me interjects), but even when she has control of her face and can speak relatively clearly, she is unable to swallow water.

I'm waiting outside the ICU for them to finish admitting her.

Trying to stay positive, but it's hard.

Bulletins as i know anything more.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Hard indeed... having been there recently, I've got a poignant appreciation for what your brain is probably putting you through right now, and you've got all of my sympathies! Hope they can find something that can be addressed directly eg with a clot-buster of some sort.

Wondering if this might have any connection to the auto accident a couple of weeks ago... maybe a small clot formed in a vein and has broken free and decided to wander?
AnotherFairportfan

Dave wrote:Hard indeed... having been there recently, I've got a poignant appreciation for what your brain is probably putting you through right now, and you've got all of my sympathies! Hope they can find something that can be addressed directly eg with a clot-buster of some sort.

Wondering if this might have any connection to the auto accident a couple of weeks ago... maybe a small clot formed in a vein and has broken free and decided to wander?
Maybe. I might bring it up, though i doubt it; she was shaken but not even bruised.
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

Oh, gods.

White light and the most hopeful attitude I can manage from this end - you both will be in my thoughts.
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
AnotherFairportfan

I'm back at the ICU; i've been running errands since10:30.

Kate seems better - speaking clearly, though her right arm and leg are pretty well out of action.

They're moving her to a regular room tomorrow; they plan to run another CAT scan to see if there was an actual clot.

She says that the doctors are hopeful that she can regain most of ber functionality with therapy.
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

That's something, at least. They are a lot better at this than they used to be.
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Considering my dad had two mini-strokes in the last year, but didn't lose any motor function, it's a sign that they can do wonders with this stuff.

Prayers for you and Kate, FPF.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

I'm sorry to just be catching up to whats been going on, Love & Strength to and yours.

(I recognize, personally, that half my medical knowledge seems to have been learned by watching TV shows over the years, but still...)

I'm find the coming and going (and one expects coming back) part of her symptoms to be somewhat encouraging, going forward.

As a fictitious Doctor on the Internet, I suggest, nay prescribe unscheduled & gentle foot rubs as needed.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

I hope that things are going as well as things can go considering how things have gone.
chicgeek

Post by chicgeek »

My thoughts are with you both, and wishes for a swift recovery.
AnotherFairportfan

As soon as the insurance dedigitates, they're moving her to a rehab facility for three or four weeks.

She has minimal use of the leg, though not the arm, and she sh'e speaking pretty well, though the right corner of her mouth still droops a little.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Beaming good stuff your way, her way too.

Oh, & be sure and take a periodic reset time.
Even just sitting still, for a little while, in a quiet place, works wonders.

(edit for typos & whole missing words)
AnotherFairportfan

They moved her to rehab today.

Yay.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
Yay.
What he said.

By Remote Proxy & Communal Entanglement, hereby consider your Loins Girded...