Baby Driver

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

AnotherFairportfan

Baby Driver

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Okay, i saw it

If Quentin Tarantino decided to make a GOOD version of Walter Hill's film, The Driver (which starred Ryan O'Neil), it would come pretty close to Baby Driver.

Definitely some things wrong with the film - i think they messed with the Atlanta geography (though a lot of it wnt by so fast i wasn't sure), though things where they referred to a specific location happened in or near that location.

Just as with the Hill film, Baby is passive for the first two-thirds or so of the film.

But when he STOPS being passive - all hell breaks loose.

A large part of the trailers is taken from the first fifteen minutes or so - the first chase - and i was right - that backward slalom WAS behind the World Congress Center.

I'd definitely recommend it.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
TazManiac

Re: Baby Driver

Post by TazManiac »

The 'Kid' mentioned was going to go see this... btw; he's a grown-up...

I'd been sending him lists of films to see to improve his cultural education (and for entertainment of course), and 'the Driver' is on the list, partly because he'd specifically asked for 'Caper & Heist' type recommendations.

I was brainstorming up just such a selection and whipped this out, I'm thinking it's going to need some further additions and refinement, but with the potential for highjacking your thread and/or boring folks w/ my hubris, check it:

Capers & Heists:

- the Italian Job (1969) [theres a reason classic films get remade, start w/ the originals...]
- the Sting
- the Thomas Crown Affair (1968)
- Sneakers (great ensemble cast, San Francisco/Bay Area location, "too many secrets...")
- Out of Sight (stylish, semi-romantic, Elmore Lenard source material)
- Heat (w/ De Niro, Pacino & Kilmer)
- Ronin (w/ De Niro & Jean Reno [from 'the Professional'])
- to Catch a Thief (Hitchcock, one of his best)
- North by Northwest (also Hitchcock, but more spying than stealing as motivation...)
- The Great Escape (again, not so much bank robbery as escape from captivity, but still...)
- Thief (1981) [James Caan hits one of his high-water marks w/ this one)
- the Way of the Gun (Since we're talking James Caan, this has him in a supporting role & later in life...)
====== end ====

yeah, this should be spun out to it's own Thread...
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Only one of those i'm not sure i've seen is "Out of Sight" ... and, as i said, i'm not sure.

I mentioned "The Driver"?

I think we can figure that it was an influence on "Baby Driver" - Walter Hill has a cameo in BD.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Baby driver?

TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:Only one of those i'm not sure i've seen is "Out of Sight" ... and, as i said, i'm not sure. (1)

I mentioned "The Driver"? (2)

I think we can figure that it was an influence on "Baby Driver" - Walter Hill has a cameo in BD.

1- Yeah, it (Out of Sight) 's got: George Clooney, Jennifer Lopez, Ving Rhames , & Don Cheadle as the mains w/ Viola Davis, Dennis Farina, & Isaiah Washington (not to mention Samuel L. Jackson & Michael Keaton are in there somewheres too) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Out_of_Sight & http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120780/

2) There's a further discussion I was having that touches on 'The Thief', 'the Driver', & the recent 'Drive' as antecedents to 'Baby Driver'. (In fact I think I can find an article, from just this morning, talking about this very subject...)

Yeah, OK: https://filmschoolrejects.com/movies-to ... by-driver/ <--- plus theres some other related article there too...